Gigabyte Socket 7 and TNT2

G

Ok, I've had a Gigabyte motherboard for over a year now... specificaly the GA5-AA. I recently bought a Guillemot Maxi Gamer Xentor card, which is based on the TNT2 chip. I thought it worked ok until i tried running OpenGL stuff, which should be supported. This didn't work, so I updated the drivers and now openGL works but D3D just hangs.

Guillemot tech. support said it was a Gigabyte problem... i think it's because of the ALi chipset can't cope with the power requirements. The shop won't take the tnt back, and i've had the motherboard a year now, so they won't take that back either.

A friend said that Gigabyte might replace the board with an updated one. Is this true, and if so how would i go about doing this? (i'm in the UK)

--
Black holes really suck...

Raistlin

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
did you install dX8 AFter reinstalling the card?
tnt2 isnt a relatively powerful card, it was the best a year ago but not a power-hoggin-ful card like the new ones
note i have a viper 770 AGP (tnt2 based)
what windows are you using, also try running DXdiag
possible d3d is turned off, i saw this once on a hp computer made 75$ in 20min ;) fixin it.

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have the GA5-AA and the diamond viper V770 (TNT2) and I can't get them to work together. I have tried everything. I have tried both Win98 and WinME both clean installs. I have tried every Detonator driver from version 5.32 up to 6.47. I have tried different versions of the ALi AGP and IDE drivers in all different combinations.
And still nothing. When ever I try to run 3DMark2000, it freezes up at the first test.
I have given up for a while. Maybe I will try again next month.
Sorry I couldn't be more help, just wanted to let you know you are not the only one.

G

Yeah... I've tried pretty ,much everything too! I'm not sure if i can be bothered any more... i'll sell the tnt2 and get a Socket A m/board and start again. It's nice to know i'm not alone :)
Chris

--
Black holes really suck...

AndyG

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've just changed to a Gigabyte socket 7 board GA-5AX and my Elsa Erazor III TNT PRO card will just not work on it. The computer just makes 2 +1 beeps and the monitor stars on power saving. I've tried an old PCI card and that works fine so I can only assume that I've either damaged the card in the change (unlikely) or the AGP port isn't working properly, or it isn't compatible. After reading these posts I think the latter but I don't want to shell out for a new card until I have exhausted all possiblities with this one. And anyway who is to say the new one will worK?
Has anyone had the same problem? Have they managed to solve it?
Does anyone have the same board with the GeForce 2MX? Or the Voodoo 4500? Does it work OK?

What is the point of having an AGP slot if the decent chip sets don't work with it?

Many thanks for any help

cheers

Andy Goodfellow