coKestar

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2005
Recently, I replaced the factory motherboard & processor that came with my emachines desktop(Model W1500) with a GigaByte 7KVM400 and an XP 2400+ proc. I didn't replace the case because I didn't have the money at the time, so I used the existing case.

Afterwards, I upgraded to xp-pro sp2 and since then I cannot shutdown at <b>all</b>. Windows hangs everytime after the 'saving your settings' dialog and I must hold the power button until the machine shuts off. Furthermore, whenever I have my usb mouse(mx510) plugged into it's port at boot time, the start up process lags for almost 4 minutes, and when windows comes to, the mouse does not work. I must unplug/replug for it to function. If anyone has had an experience similar to this, help would be appreciated.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Did you do a clean install of windows after replacing the motherboard? If not you are going to want to. Motherboard swaps never turn out good. Rarely does windows even boot after a motherboard swap.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

riser

Illustrious
A friend of mine had a similiar problem with Windows XP SP2. He upgraded from Win2k to XP and weird problems started. He ended up reinstalling XP from scratch.

Did you upgrade from a Fat32 partition maybe? What OS did you upgrade from?

I would recommend a new install of XP though.

Riser

coKestar

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2005
I did have to format and re-install when the machine wouldn't boot after trying to upgrade it to xp-pro from xp-home. And I've always used ntfs.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
I aways do a full backup before installing a service pack on a machine that has been in use for awhile. About half the time the new system acts weird.

When I first tried upgrading from SP1a to SP2 I had similiar problems.

Then I restored from a backup taken just after I did a clean install of XP and all my software, but before I actually used the system. System ran great.

Still I would feel better having done a clean install from an SP2 CD. :)