Sign in with
Your question

Video game flicker

Last response: in Video Games
October 26, 2010 3:42:23 PM

I have windows 7 ultimate with a Nvidia Geforce gtx 260 video card. I've been playing Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor since May of 2010 (it is now Oct. 26, 2010) with no problems until recently in the beginning of september the screen started flickering. It happens only when I play this game. You will see the flicker in the video (notice it doesn't do it in the loading screen) I have directx 11 installed and my drivers are completely up to date. If anyone could tell me how to fix the problem I would appreciate it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWpKBFryn-A

I once tried http://appaholic.co.uk/2007/10/16/dxwnd-force-almost-an... which is an application that forces almost any game into a windowed mode. It did force the game into a windowed mode, and the flickering completely disappeared, which is great, but I don't want to play it in a windowed mode. I wonder why this made it work...

From the research I've done, this flickering may be due to direct x. But I hear it's nearly impossible to revert back to an older version of direct x.

I should also add, that ever since the flickering started, I've still been playing the game. There was ONE day where the flickering was completely gone (for whatever reason) and came back the next day :cry: 

More about : video game flicker

October 26, 2010 4:16:21 PM

The only thing I can think of is...

Did you recently upgrade your video card drivers? If so, did the flicker happen after you did so?
m
l
October 26, 2010 5:14:28 PM

jaguarskx said:
The only thing I can think of is...

Did you recently upgrade your video card drivers? If so, did the flicker happen after you did so?

Yes I did and unfortunately nothing changed. btw, nice avatar \m/ \m/
m
l
November 5, 2010 12:48:47 PM

I should note that recently I turned the V-sync on (forced it) and there was still flickering, but it was in the form of a thick black bar that would show up randomly throughout the screen. When I forced it off, it went back to the same type of flickering found in the video I posted.
m
l
!