ruined bios

G

Hey is there anyway to fix the bios on a board if you flashed it with the wrong bios update? All I get is a blank screen when I turn the machine on. So I can't even restore the old one cause the machine won't even boot. Any help would be great.

uncoando

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hopefully there's a jumper switch on the board that restores the BIOS to its default settings...The newer boards accomplish this through the dc power of the battery, the older boards require you to power up the computer: This is contingent upon you having two CMOS chips on the mainboard...

SoulReaper

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have never heard of a recovered bios. In every experience i have ever come accross, I have always had to replace the bios chip. it's a pain. On some of the older PC's...if you ruined the Bios, you ruined the whole motherboard. Next time make sure that you get the correct bios update. If you don't know what kind of motherboard you have, crack that case and check it out, or call your manufacturer.

uncoando

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Every bios flash utility I've seen gives you the option of saving the existing BIOS. If he followed directions, he should be able to restore the original .bin image to his CMOS...
If he's at the point you posit, unless he's really gung ho about replacing the CMOS, is his best bet to just get another board?
Blissfully the last four boards I've purchased have the auxillary CMOS chip.
Hope he didn't execute the flash from msdos prompt...or worse.

G

Thanks for the help guys. Nope I didn't flash the bios from ms dos. According to the manufacturer enpc I used the right bios. Anyways I've messed up like this before and all I had to do with other boards was clear the cmos or simply flash the old cmos back. I can't do either one cause with this board nothing comes on screen. No beeps no flashing...nothing. I think the manufacturer is out of business so a new bios chip is probably out of the question. Thanks again for the help.

G

Yes, some boards do have a jumper which enables the secondary BIOS.
How old is your mobo? What make/model no? You may be able to track down some product specific info on alternative websites or here.
Is the graphics onboard or have you a secondary card on the board? AGP or PCI?
Totally black screen with no beeps at all from the PC?
Does the monitor initialise at all - go from no signal to black screen or change out of standby to full power on but remaining blank in both cases?

G

Hey guys,

A question. Im running windows ME. I flashed my BIOS fine
but i flashed it in the following way

Shut down
Insert WinME boot disk
Choose Minimal Boot (not drivers loaded)

That's not in MSDOS mode is it?

Majeskty

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Find your old Bios then reflash it. The software should delete the current installed and then put the version that you tell it to replace it with. Do it from DOS ONLY!!! Your Bio's flash utility and the replacement Bio's should be on a boot disk for your OS.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ok folks, yes there is a way to fix a screwed bios and not by using the recover bios jumper it is tricky but it works. first of all you need another computer, one that is working. preferably one that is the same or close than to one you are tying to fix. first of all loosen the bios chip in the working computer so it will be easy to take out but is still making contact. Now boot to a boot disk, on that has been formatted with the /s switch. You can even use a floppy that has been formatted in win98 by using the "copy system files only". after you have succesfully booted to an a: prompt carefully remove the working bios and replace it with the bad bios. Now, using a bios upgrade utility and the right bios reflash the faulty bios chip. Shutdown the computer and reinstall the correct chip and take the reflashed chip and re-install it in the correct system. A more detailed explanation can be found on Microstar's web site along with utilities to flash an award bios with a ami rom and vice versa. There are bound to be doubters out there but trust me it works, I have made a small fortune buying bad motherboards of ebay and fixing them using this exact same procedure. In the event the bios chip itself is bad you can actually use any other bios chip out there ( size has to be the same of course)

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

G

you got a lucky break ... in the future make a bootable floppy with only the system files on it ... copy the flash utility onto the floppy ... copy the correct xxxxxx.bin file onto the floppy ... boot the machine from the floppy ... from the a:\ flash your bios ... good luck

Regards,
Chas