Asus P2B and Yamaha CRW

magnate

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have a P2B with the onboard 2940U2W SCSI controller (specifically a P2B-LS though it might be the same for the S and DS). I bought a Yamaha CRW8424S, a product which is specifically recommended to work with the 2940. It doesn't work with mine - Yamaha even sent me another drive to confirm. It works perfectly in my other machine (an old i486-SP3G with NCR53c810). Adaptec blame Asus and say they're not responsible for onboard controllers. Asus could not help me, which is a shame because otherwise it's a damn fine product.

Anyone else stumbled across problems with the onboard 2940 on a P2B?

Long disclaimers waste bandwidth and have no legal force - tell your bosses not to use them.

G

I know ASUS updated their SCSI BIOS to revision 2.20 in P2B-LS BIOS revision 1012. If you are using the 1012, then you might consider migrating the P2B-LS BIOS back a few notch. ASUS has updated their SCSI BIOS 2 times since the first BIOS.

I have used P2B-LS without any problems with SCSI devices except for cheap scanners (cheap scanner do not implement SCSI bus sharing.) Precisely, what do you mean by it does not work?

magnate

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hmm, I hadn't thought about downgrading the BIOS - don't really want to do that because of CPUID issues but I could try it - hard to believe they've broken something with the 2.20 SCSI BIOS.

Anyway, by not working I mean it won't write at all. It reads ok (at 24X like it's supposed to), but none of the write operations work. I can't even remember the error now but Linux points quite explicitly to the SCSI bus as the source of the problem. (The drive works fine on an NCR controller in another machine.)

Thanks for the tip,

Chris

Long disclaimers waste bandwidth and have no legal force - tell your bosses not to use them.