Best Duron MB Avail.

G

Going to be upgrading to a Duron 800, I'd like opinions on the best MB out, including future growth potential.

Thanks.

SoulReaper

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I am going to have to say the best motherboard i have seen for socket A is definately the Abit KT7 with and without RAID. Without a doubt, thats the best motherboard for CPU's in the present and in the future.

G

If you want to overclock your Duron, i'd go with the Asus A7V. Currently it is one of the best, if not the best board on the market right now. It also supports DMA 100.

G

I'm waiting the (hopefully) soon to be released 761 based boards with newer FSB/memory options.

G

Without a doubt I'd go for the ASUS A7v ! It's supports upto 1Ghz Athlons/Durons, can support 4 IDE drives (2x UDMA100) and can support 7 USB ports! It's also the fastest board available and the most stable and I should know I run a network of 30 computers and they've all got A7v mobos with 600Mhz durons ;)

The only downside is that AMD has just released a new chipset which supports DDR-SDRAM and 266FSB.

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I know a lot of people have a great love of Abit and agree that Abit boards are great for overclocking but I have had many problems with Abit boards (mostly older ones) and almost no trouble with Asus. I work for a computer company that repairs 100's of computers and we try to get people to buy Asus because they seem more reliable. It is likely that if you buy an Abit board it will be fine and you will like it. If you buy a thousand Abit boards you will likely have problems with a few. If you were unlucky enough to get a bad Abit board you may want to read what others say about Abit customer service.

One thing you never see on Tom's is long term testing.