HP Pavilion 713c

TC

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.misc (More info?)

I have an HP Pavilion 713c which, intermittently, loses the correct CMOS
date and time which, in turn, causes Windows XP to not boot.

When this happens; at startup/boot time; I must manually enter
setup(press and hold F1 at the HP Invent screen) and set the correct
date and time. It may, then, retain the correct date and time for 1 or
2 days.

My question is; does this model have a battery, which supports the CMOS
clock settings? If yes;

- where is the battery located?
- what does it look like?
- what is its part number?
- is it soldered?

TIA.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.misc (More info?)

According to the HP web site, an image of the MSI motherboard in your system is
here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?dlc=en&lc=en&product=242033&lang=en&cc=us&docname=bph07942

It looks like the battery is right next to the IDE drive connectors. It is a
C2032 3v lithium coin-sized battery cell, and should be easy to remove and
replace.

If the system is still under warranty, and replacing the battery does not fix
the problem, you have good reason to return the system... Ben Myers

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 14:44:38 GMT, TC <TcNoSpam@sunlink.net> wrote:

>I have an HP Pavilion 713c which, intermittently, loses the correct CMOS
>date and time which, in turn, causes Windows XP to not boot.
>
>When this happens; at startup/boot time; I must manually enter
>setup(press and hold F1 at the HP Invent screen) and set the correct
>date and time. It may, then, retain the correct date and time for 1 or
>2 days.
>
>My question is; does this model have a battery, which supports the CMOS
>clock settings? If yes;
>
>- where is the battery located?
>- what does it look like?
>- what is its part number?
>- is it soldered?
>
>TIA.

TC

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.misc (More info?)

Thanks for the information. I found and tested the battery(3.02 Volts
from a rated 3.0 Volt battery). Since the voltage was marginally high I
felt that the battery might be actually producing less under load so I
replaced it. The new battery tested at 3.245 Volts. So far; it seems
to have corrected the problem. Time will tell. Thanks again.