SamSung SPH-I700

My contract is about to expire and I've been looking for a new phone.
The most important features to me are a true combining of cell phone
with PPC.

I've looked at the SamSung SPH-I700 and it LOOKS really nice, but I
would like to get some feedback. Anyone here have one?

How intergrated are the cell phone features and PPC (ie. can I pick any
..mp3 and use it as my ringtone)?

Does it use PPC windows 2002 or 2003?

How sturdy is it?

--

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Chris Barnes AOL IM: CNBarnes

> I've looked at the SamSung SPH-I700 and it LOOKS really nice, but I would
> like to get some feedback. Anyone here have one?

I've had an I700 through Verizon since they were first introduced. I've
been very happy with it.

> How intergrated are the cell phone features and PPC (ie. can I pick any
> .mp3 and use it as my ringtone)?

Check out http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/pocketpc/phone for details
on Pocket PC Phone functionality. With the newer PPC 2003, phone
integration is much better than PPC 2002. You can use an MP3 file for a
ringtone, but you will have to convert it to WMA format, first (standard for
PPC).

> Does it use PPC windows 2002 or 2003?

PPC 2003 since a few months ago. I'm especially happy with the new Voice
Command system. It's all I use now to dial numbers from my contact list.
Very handy while driving. There are a lot of improvement in the phone
integration, too, like a better volume control for the phone, ringer and
system sounds.

> How sturdy is it?

I've had mine almost two years. It's hit the floor several times, enought
to knock the battery off the back, but it's still working fine. The silver
paint is worn off of the case in a few places and there are some scratches
and dents on the case and the plastic sheet that covers the display.
Despite all of this, it works fine.

By the way, I'm sure you know that the I700 has an integrated camera. It's
not that great, but it's been adequate when I've needed to snap a photo and
not had my digital camera with me.

I think it's a great PPC phone.

-Reed
Microsoft MVP

Reed <reed@NO.SPAMrinn.com> wrote:
...lots of good info removed...
> I think it's a great PPC phone.

Wow - that's just the type of info I was looking for.
Thanks.

--?