Ghost 9 / other "live" partion backups, Reliable?

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
I just uninstalled Ghost 2003 and am giving Ghost 9 a try. I know other software has been offering to hard drive backups from within windows for some time, but I felt safer booting to DOS.

Not Ghost 9 has added enough cool features (like scheduled incremental backups) that I have to reconsider.

Anyone have any experience with backing up Windows Partions from within windows?

Any problems?

_WW_

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
Not with that particular product. I use R-Drive Image which will take the snapshot and restore from within Windows. It also creates a bootable restore disk to restore from if your only OS is unbootable. I've restored my current OS from it just to make sure it worked and have not experienced any problems so far.

So...I would say yes, you can take successful images from within Windows.

....WW (5.0)

menards

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2005
though I've tried Ghost's Clone utility (I was trying to copy my old HDD to my new HDD) and it messed up the windows on both! I can't start it. It says ....

windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
I used Ghost versions 2001-2003 and never had any problems, although if your system has bad memory its going to randomly corrupt all the data you transfer.

To move XP you have to start an XP install on the destination drive to put the XP "vodoo" on the drive. Then you can copy over partions as usual and XP will work fine.

I have no idea what XP does to the drive, only that it does it outside of any existing partions.