New Nvidia Drivers Boost Up Fermi Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

atamarashi

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
Seems to be a great deal of benefits found with these drivers, I wonder if they're worth the upgrade from 197.13 for a GTX 200 series card...

It couldn't hurt to try, I'm using them on my little 9500GT and my desktop is performing great! :lol:

doron

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
Why would you ever need a 470 for adobe premiere? I remember fiddling with the premiere 6 with my old athlon xp 1600mhz and geforce 3 ti200... Was slow as hell but usable..

Seriously, did adobe include some heavy graphic editing in their pro cs5 or is it just a good-ole overkill?

jedimasterben

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007

It wouldn't hurt to give it a shot.

See above comment ^ :)

The little 9500 that could! :lol:

Yeah, Adobe has been putting a lot of effort into GPU acceleration. I don't know much about Premier, but I use Photoshop a lot, and it definitely speeds up a lot of tasks for me.

meat81

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Pretty impressive that after 2 driver releases, they improved performance on the new architecture by almost 20% across the board![/citation]

True!

Nvidia has always had solid drivers that solve more problems, not create them like another video card maker we know.... :)

Stryter

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
[citation][nom]meat81[/nom]True!Nvidia has always had solid drivers that solve more problems, not create them like another video card maker we know....[/citation]

Well, that is not entirely true. To be fair, nVidia has had their fair share of screw-ups with with their drivers. They have on a few occassions now, introduced some annoying and even nasty, harmful bugs into their drivers (i.e. the fan speed control bug). But, the drivers have been getting better again which is always welcome.

I'll have to check these drivers out when I get home, though I will probably keep my eye on their forums just to make sure their aren't any problems reported, before I download them.

victomofreality

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
[citation][nom]meat81[/nom]True!Nvidia has always had solid drivers that solve more problems, not create them like another video card maker we know....[/citation]

WTF are you smoking? ATI and Nvidia both have buggy drivers from time to time... just a few months ago they released some bad ones like the one that killed the ability to oc the cards. Don't be blinded by your fanboydom.

tokenz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
[citation][nom]doron[/nom]Why would you ever need a 470 for adobe premiere? I remember fiddling with the premiere 6 with my old athlon xp 1600mhz and geforce 3 ti200... Was slow as hell but usable..Seriously, did adobe include some heavy graphic editing in their pro cs5 or is it just a good-ole overkill?[/citation]

Yeah with all the hd video now its almost all accelerated through the video card. You should take a look at some of it. Its really cool.

webbwbb

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
[citation][nom]HardwareJay[/nom]I don't do games. I'm using my GTX-470 for video editing with Adobe Premiere Pro CS5. Should I get this update?[/citation]

I would try it when you have a bit of additional time and see what happens. If there are any problems in Adobe then you can rollback the drivers.

[citation][nom]doron[/nom]Why would you ever need a 470 for adobe premiere? I remember fiddling with the premiere 6 with my old athlon xp 1600mhz and geforce 3 ti200... Was slow as hell but usable..Seriously, did adobe include some heavy graphic editing in their pro cs5 or is it just a good-ole overkill?[/citation]

The point of GPU acceleration is to make things a lot quicker, not increase the flashyness of effects. Those who spend the money on CS5 and a new Fermi card are likely professionals who can make a lot more money if they can work faster. Say you are working on a $1,200 job that would usually take 20 hours to complete but with less time waiting for loading it now only takes you 15 hours. That is a 33% pay raise.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009

He's just trolling. I'm all for Nvidia coming out with better drivers (have GTX 470), but comments like that are just begging for a thumbs down...

The way I see it is that neither company has a perfect track record for drivers. Let's focus on the here and now. These new drivers are a good thing, and I am glad Nvidia is putting an effort into trying to make Fermi better.

One thing that I DONT like so far is the huge idle temp increase when using two monitors. This seriously needs to be addressed and fixed if possible. Running the card at full speed all the time just does not make sense. Can't they get it to run at a lower speed and still avoid monitor flicker?

dgingeri

Distinguished

Adobe slowed down the program in major ways adding eye candy. (Not functional features, just fancy looking menus and transparent dialog boxes.) So, in order to bring it back up to a usable point, they added GPU acceleration. It's still a little slow on a 4870, I know that much. I haven't tried it on my new GTX 470 yet to see how big of an improvement it is. The feature differences between CS3, CS4, and CS5 are pretty small except for the interface level eye candy. All fluff, no substance. Most people wouldn't see the difference between them functionally.

So long as you're not doing much more than 2D desktop stuff and watching the odd HD movie here and there it's a splendid little card that can even run some of the less demanding pre 2006 games but anything more than that and you'd be better off with something else.

lejay

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Pretty impressive that after 2 driver releases, they improved performance on the new architecture by almost 20% across the board![/citation]
How is initially releasing drivers that are that far from optimal somehow impressive?

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
[citation][nom]HardwareJay[/nom]I don't do games. I'm using my GTX-470 for video editing with Adobe Premiere Pro CS5. Should I get this update?[/citation]
I hope you`re using the hack for mercury playback engine along with that.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Get an nvidia 1 GB memory video card , get premiere pro CS5 and CS5 hack and voila real time editing with your new system. Did this on a PII 940 , 8 GB ram , GTX 465 and i got to 5 full HD video tracks with effects and color correction real time. No Quadro bullshit like they advertise. Sadly no option for now for ATI cards .. i really hate my GTX power hungry and lots of heat.

HardwareJay

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2008
Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 makes deliberate, very heavy use of the CUDA capabilities of the GTX-470 and a short list of previous CUDA-capable cards that are now outdated in light of the GTX-470 and other members of the Fermie line. Reports are nothing less than dramatic. Google it.

luissantos

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
actually these ARE good news, but also EXPECTED news... read the changelogs for the past 2 years and you'll see these "performance gains (that occur under very very very specific circumstances)" are always there...

Status
Not open for further replies.