Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonp12

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2010
Call of Duty: Black Ops

or

the new Medal of Honor

i have heard great things about both...i wont lie i havent played much of either series (least not for PC) played some for Xbox/PS3 and thats about it...last real shooter i played for PC was/is Counterstrike 1.9 and source.

So im looking for an upgrade

Which looks to be more promising/better?

I know Medal of Honor got great reviews except for spawn camping seems to be a HUGE issue in it....otherwise great game....
what about Black Ops? anyways make some recommendations!

Solution

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007

Between the two games you've mentioned, I'd recommend COD Black Ops. However, be advised that COD players are usually pretty good (better than most FPS) and therefore, you'll need patience to get good at the game (since everyone's pretty dam good already). In other words, don't assume you'll rock the place in COD if you've rock the place in CS. However, I know many gamers that transitioned from CS to COD and really like it. Medal of Honor is also a great game but I feel it just doesn't offer what Black Ops offers. Look at the MP and COOP in Black Ops and compare that to MOH's MP. From that perspective, I believe Black Ops offers more bang for the buck. But if you want to decide based on the reviews and meta critics, then wait until Black Ops reviews are in.

If I may, have you considered other hororable titles? Battlefield Bad Company 2 is a great game if you play with friends and is almost half the price of COD BO. There's also Valve's Team Fortress 2 which might interest you if you're looking for more casual gameplay.

jasonp12

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2010
na ill be playing solo if not id get Battlefied Bad COmpany 2 as i hear its amazing but really needs some friends to be great

ill prob wait to see reviews of BO to be sure but so far im leaning towards BO.

my system im sure will handle nething i throw at it

Phenom II X4 965 BE @ 3.61ghz (can oc more this was just a prelim stable)
Hyper 212+ in push/pull
Haf 922
XFX BLack 850w PSU
Asus M4a89gtd 890GX mobo

getting a new GPU tomorrow probably the XFX 6850 as i hear it is better bang for the buck over the 6870 cuz it can oc to 6870 speeds and the 6870 doesnt OC well

btw what is it about MoH that some people seem to be on the fence about some love it others are meh about it

bamslang

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
I play BC2 without friends and it's fun. There are just huge maps that are centered around squad warefare (small 2v2, 3v3 fights with a 32 player limit). I've come to the realization that you can't really get a unbalanced opinion on FPS games. There tends to be the group that loves CoD and the group that loves other games (normally BFBC2). A lot of people felt betrayed by the COD franchise when they turned their back on PC gamers to cater for the console noobs (noobs as in newer to gaming in general). The removal of dedicated servers hurt them too.

It does come down to more playstyle though. I find BFBC2 to be more strategic shooter that required cordination, while CoD is more of a traditional run and gun shooter.

Can't really comment on MoH since I haven't kept up with it much (too busy playing bfbc2 and fo:nv).

Atotalnoob

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
I play bad co solo, I join squads, it does get a little lonely, but you meet other peeps who go solo, but can teamplay... joining a clan is an option. I played moh at e3 or were ever the release was, I haven't slept in 3 days, so I could be wrong... it was pretty fun..... I wasn't in the same city when BO was being showcased.

IMHO Bad co>MOH>BO

jasonp12

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2010
wait atotal your post was kinda ebonics so i duno wtf you were saying LOL

your saying BCBF2>MOH>Black Ops?

i think? but how can you comment on BO if you havent played it?

neways is BCBF2 worth getting if ima be solo?

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007

I've played lots of BFBC2 on the PC (Steam) and everyone who owned a copy on steam had access to the beta of MOH. So my MOH opinion based purely on the beta. I found the controls to be unflexible. Basically, if you've played any shooter by DICE, they use the same control scheme in most every game including MOH. It's small things I didn't like that goes a long way. For instance, in COD you can run forward+strafing whereas in BFBC2 or MOH you can't (you can only run forward+look). It feels like everything you do in MOH takes split seconds more time than in the COD games because of these "unflexible" controls. Now, the "DICE Controls" are perfect for a game like BFBC2 but in a game like MOH (who's trying to replicate a game like COD) where twitch reflexes are key, not so much.

That said, graphics and levels in MOH were pretty good...but nothing we've never seen before. Here's where I start leaning a little more towards COD BO because their game modes, coop, zombies, and customization (Perks, Killstreaks, Cust. 2.0) just appeals much more to me. That said, I didn't get a chance to play the game (COD BO) but based on the footage i've seen, just wow, looks a lot more fun than any other game i've seen/played so far.

hthero715

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
Bad Company 2 is awesome, just flat out fun. Vehicles in BC2 add to the fun factor and really expand the number of tactical approaches you can take in playing the game. Took me about 3-4 months of casually playing it to unlock everything but its a blast to play and feels more like a "real warfare shooter."

BO to me is more like an arcade shooter. Very fast paced with little tactical play and more about getting the most kills or best K/D ratio. Dont get me wrong though, unlocking everything and playing the game is still really fun; just a different type of experience.

Cant go wrong with either of them IMO, just depends on what your play style is.

Atotalnoob

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
wait atotal your post was kinda ebonics so i duno wtf you were saying LOL
ahhh sorry, I was on my phone....

your saying BCBF2>MOH>Black Ops?
yup

i think? but how can you comment on BO if you havent played it?
Hardly anyone has, and I've followed Treyarch, and watched all the footage I can.

neways is BCBF2 worth getting if ima be solo?
Yuppers.

I've played lots of BFBC2 on the PC (Steam) and everyone who owned a copy on steam had access to the beta of MOH. So my MOH opinion based purely on the beta. I found the controls to be unflexible. Basically, if you've played any shooter by DICE, they use the same control scheme in most every game including MOH. It's small things I didn't like that goes a long way. For instance, in COD you can run forward+strafing whereas in BFBC2 or MOH you can't (you can only run forward+look). It feels like everything you do in MOH takes split seconds more time than in the COD games because of these "unflexible" controls. Now, the "DICE Controls" are perfect for a game like BFBC2 but in a game like MOH (who's trying to replicate a game like COD) where twitch reflexes are key, not so much.
If you've played it on the PC change the controls, and sensitivity.

That said, graphics and levels in MOH were pretty good...but nothing we've never seen before. Here's where I start leaning a little more towards COD BO because their game modes, coop, zombies, and customization (Perks, Killstreaks, Cust. 2.0) just appeals much more to me. That said, I didn't get a chance to play the game (COD BO) but based on the footage i've seen, just wow, looks a lot more fun than any other game i've seen/played so far.
We've seen that all before tooooooo.... XD zombies from treyarch, co-op from a ton of other games, customization is a given to be put in a game nowadays.

dweitkunat

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010

That's because DICE is going for realism, not run&gun, spray&pray. Try real combat. Not saying that there's anything wrong with the CoD series, I just prefer the more realistic nature of MoH. It all comes down to whether you want some tactical combat or run around/jump/spray bullets/throw grenades. Purely personal preference.

By the way the full game rocks compared to the beta.

P.S. DICE couldn't care less about CoD, they proved that with all of the content in BC2 that made fun of MW2.

Solution

Atotalnoob

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010

Nice dude you win.

Status
Not open for further replies.