ServerWorks ServerSet-III-LE chipset?

Ron_Jeremy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Does anyone know anything about this chipset? My machine will be a regular home rig that is used to play games more than anything else. I would like to build a dual PIII system but do not wish to use the low performing 694 chipset that most new dual PIII mobo's are equipped with. I don't believe there's a current chipset available that has yet shown CLEAR superiority to the "old school" BX chipset [besides, old habits die hard :)].
Not wanting the 694 chipset left me with these 2 Supermicro mobos:

P6DBE (w/440BX chipset)
or
370DLE (w/ServerSet-III-LE chipset)

Anyone have any experience with this "ServerSet" chipset, or even know where I may be able to find a review/comparison of it?
Am I crazy for even looking at these mobo's considering the imminent arrival of dual Athlon mobo's, DDR RAM etc etc

G

Well, I don't know what to tell you, except that from what I understand the ServerWorks chipset is usually found in very expensive boards. I am curious, where did you find out that the 694 has poor performance? I am trying to build my first dual P-III machine, and I'd love to know where you get your info... and as far as the dual Athlon is concerned, I'll believe it when I see it. They've been talking about it for over a year now and it's vaporware as far as I'm concerned.

G

The server chip set is by far more superior than Via. as long as your going with the server chip set go with the Zeon CPU. the new PIII Zeons with 256k cache are not that much $600.00 to $800.00. Not bad for a ZEON. You could not have picked a better manufaturer. Supermicro is one of the best. I build $30,000.00 dollar Zeon machines with the server chip set using Supermicro. But these have 2 and 4 Zeon CPU's that have 2mb cache. These run about $3000.00 a piece. And with 4 gig ram on up. you get the idea. Call Supermicro and ask to talk to their presales tech support. have your questions writen down. They have some boards with onboard Raid. Well almost, you have to add an adaptec card that enables the raid. These are on the GX chip set boards. Which are also better that VIA. The server chip set is the predecessor of the GX chip set.

G

If you got the cash, and lots of it, go with the server chipset. Remeber too that the server chipset requires registered, buffered ram. Which means you are gonna shovel lots of cash for your ram as well.

But, I guess this also depends on what your using this for.
Since you said you are gonna play games, do you really want to spend BIG $$$ for a chipset and it's required memory just to see a few more FPS?

Besides, what game is actualy written to take advantage of a dual proccessor anyway?

My suggestion, after saying all this, is to save the money on what you would have spent on Dual CPUs and its mainboard, and get a smok'n single CPU. This way you will also have a much larger pool of chipsets and mobos to choose from.