NEPA goes digital!!!

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
September 11, 2004 1:00:48 AM

Last trip to Wayne County, PA gets a digital signal from CellOne NEPA, SID
1620 at Lake Wallenpaupack.

Finally, a digital roaming partner in NE Pennsylvania..Hooray!!

More about : nepa digital

Anonymous
September 11, 2004 1:00:49 AM

Digital CDMA?

Dave

"Dean" <dean173@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:4Co0d.55$W73.7@trndny03...
> Last trip to Wayne County, PA gets a digital signal from CellOne NEPA, SID
> 1620 at Lake Wallenpaupack.
>
> Finally, a digital roaming partner in NE Pennsylvania..Hooray!!

Just the NE corner of NEPA ... I was also surprised to see it last weekend.
The coverage is actually pretty good too except there was no digital signal
in downtown Honesdale. I wonder if they are just bringing the digital stuff
up?
September 11, 2004 1:00:50 AM

Diamond Dave wrote:

> Digital CDMA?

Depends on which CellOne it is.

Western Wireless (current owner of the CellularONE brand name after SBC gave it
up) is migrating or has migrated their entire network to CDMA.

Dobson Cellular (longtime CellularONE franchisee) is going from TDMA to GSM.

September 11, 2004 1:00:50 AM

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 17:01:48 -0400, Diamond Dave
<dmine45.NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Digital CDMA?

Sure as opposed to analog CDMA :)

>Dave
>

>On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 21:00:48 GMT, "Dean" <dean173@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Last trip to Wayne County, PA gets a digital signal from CellOne NEPA, SID
>>1620 at Lake Wallenpaupack.
>>
>>Finally, a digital roaming partner in NE Pennsylvania..Hooray!!

September 11, 2004 1:00:51 AM

> Diamond Dave wrote:
>
> > Digital CDMA?
>
> Depends on which CellOne it is.

Its a local mon & pop one. They used to be a partner with Altel in that
area. Then when VZW traded areas with Altel they became the owner of that
system for Wayne & Pike county.

sjsobol@JustThe.net
> PGP Key available from your friendly local key server (0xE3AE35ED)
> Apple Valley, California Nothing scares me anymore. I have three kids.
Anonymous
September 11, 2004 7:26:49 AM

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 19:53:31 -0400, "George" <george@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>Just the NE corner of NEPA ... I was also surprised to see it last weekend.
>The coverage is actually pretty good too except there was no digital signal
>in downtown Honesdale. I wonder if they are just bringing the digital stuff
>up?

Sounds like it, given that C1 NE PA's HQ and main store is in
Honesdale...

-SC
--
Stanley Cline -- sc1 at roamer1 dot org -- http://www.roamer1.org/
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today. There might

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 15:10:15 -0700, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
wrote:

>Diamond Dave wrote:
>
>> Digital CDMA?
>
>Depends on which CellOne it is.
>
>Western Wireless (current owner of the CellularONE brand name after SBC gave it
>up) is migrating or has migrated their entire network to CDMA.
>
>Dobson Cellular (longtime CellularONE franchisee) is going from TDMA to GSM.

That's my point. The "Cellular One" brand name is so inter-mixed with
TDMA/GSM and CDMA (depending on franchise) that you can't tell which
one is which.

I was assuming that Cell one of NE PA would be CDMA since they were
selling CDMA phones.

Dave
Anonymous
September 11, 2004 12:12:17 PM

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 19:48:22 -0700, Joseph <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 17:01:48 -0400, Diamond Dave
><dmine45.NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Digital CDMA?
>
>Sure as opposed to analog CDMA :)

No silly.. digital could mean TDMA, GSM, iDEN, etc.

I was assuming the poster meant CDMA but they didn't specify :-)

Dave
Anonymous
September 11, 2004 3:05:35 PM

"Diamond Dave" <dmine45.NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 19:48:22 -0700, Joseph <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 17:01:48 -0400, Diamond Dave
> ><dmine45.NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >>Digital CDMA?
> >
> >Sure as opposed to analog CDMA :)
> >

> No silly.. digital could mean TDMA, GSM, iDEN, etc.
>
> I was assuming the poster meant CDMA but they didn't specify :-)
>
> Dave

Since the OP said it was now digital roaming partner, and this is VZW
newsgroup - I would hope it was CDMA.
Anonymous
September 12, 2004 12:52:27 AM

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 21:00:48 GMT, Dean wrote:

> Last trip to Wayne County, PA gets a digital signal from CellOne NEPA, SID
> 1620 at Lake Wallenpaupack.
>
> Finally, a digital roaming partner in NE Pennsylvania..Hooray!!

How does I84 coverage look now from Scranton to the NY line?
September 12, 2004 8:12:33 AM

Yep, it's gotta be CDMA, since isn't that the only digital technology
my Verizon phone would pick up in digital mode??? or am I mistaken?

Background: I stuck with my SRE plan for years because we travel to
Lakeville, not far from Honesdale, often on weekends. I had a Sprint-enabled
PRL in my old StarTac (patting self on back, wasn't I smart??) and was very
happy with the coverage. If I didn't have Sprint coverage, it fell back on
the OLD analog roaming partner, ATTWS, on SID 1619. There was nearly
seamless coverage between the two. Subsequently, VZW changed roaming
partners to SID 1620 (CellOneNEPA), which had NO digital capability
whatsoever anywhere as far as I could tell. I stubbornly refused to go to
A/C until I found the 300-minute-with-limited-mobile-to-mobile thing was
killing me.

I kept reading about the Northcoast PCS license purchases here, and hoping
it would be the answer. Nope, read on...

Finally I gave up and took the new phone with a really good deal on the
500-minute plan. Had to put up with the analog battery drain every time we
got West of Milford on I-84, until suddenly, maybe 3 months ago, I noticed I
was in "Extended Area DIGITAL" between Milford and Lords Valley. I kept
checking my current SID, thinking it was a mistake, because SID22 from NY
metro bleeds through up the Delaware from NJ. Nope, no mistake, SID 1620
digital, but it stopped and dropped back to analog near Blooming Grove.

I thought, correctly it turns out, that this was CellOne rolling out digital
service. Just in time, since I think Nokia stopped making the Nokia 101, and
CellOne ran out of phones to sell (LOL, remember the 101, great old analog
phone. Made and received phone calls and that was about it. The only game
you could play with it was Spin the CellPhone, in the absence of a soda
bottle LOL).

Last trip up, we found we now have digital service at Lake Wallenpaupack
(wow!) and most of the surrounding area, but here's the kick in the ass----I
realized that in Honesdale, home of CellOneNEPA's ONLY store, across from
WalMart, the service is still analog. Maybe they found a few more boat
anchors in the back room.

Regarding I-84, my anecdotal experience is as follows:

Headed West from NY line, Verizon native SID22 until about 3-5 miles past
the Milford exit. SID 1620/CellOne digital until Blooming Grove, and
probably past there, we always exit at Blooming Grove. From there westbound,
I have to draw you a blank until around the Mt Cobb exit, around where the
Scranton SID96 Verizon coverage kicks in. Hope this helps.

Hey, guys, I thought nobody cared about NEPA----I was shocked to see how
many responses were posted. Thanks.
September 12, 2004 8:17:38 AM

-----and by the way, the analog was really killing me, because the v60s I
couldn't wait to get has one of the worst analog sections I've seen----way
worse than the wife's v60i.

Just my opinion.
Anonymous
September 12, 2004 3:31:56 PM

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 04:17:38 GMT, "Dean" <dean173@yahoo.com> wrote:

>-----and by the way, the analog was really killing me, because the v60s I
>couldn't wait to get has one of the worst analog sections I've seen----way
>worse than the wife's v60i.
>
>Just my opinion.

Your opinion on the analog section (or lack thereof) on the v60s phone
is the same as mine. I'm very dissapointed in the analog section. The
digital section though is quite good and is better than any of the
previous phones I've had on Verizon (v120c and v120e).

Dave
!