NEPA goes digital!!!

Last trip to Wayne County, PA gets a digital signal from CellOne NEPA, SID
1620 at Lake Wallenpaupack.

Finally, a digital roaming partner in NE Pennsylvania..Hooray!!
13 answers Last reply
More about nepa digital

    Digital CDMA?

    Dave

    "Dean" <dean173@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:4Co0d.55$W73.7@trndny03...
    > Last trip to Wayne County, PA gets a digital signal from CellOne NEPA, SID
    > 1620 at Lake Wallenpaupack.
    >
    > Finally, a digital roaming partner in NE Pennsylvania..Hooray!!

    Just the NE corner of NEPA ... I was also surprised to see it last weekend.
    The coverage is actually pretty good too except there was no digital signal
    in downtown Honesdale. I wonder if they are just bringing the digital stuff
    up?

    Diamond Dave wrote:

    > Digital CDMA?

    Depends on which CellOne it is.

    Western Wireless (current owner of the CellularONE brand name after SBC gave it
    up) is migrating or has migrated their entire network to CDMA.

    Dobson Cellular (longtime CellularONE franchisee) is going from TDMA to GSM.

    On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 17:01:48 -0400, Diamond Dave
    <dmine45.NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Digital CDMA?

    Sure as opposed to analog CDMA :)

    > Diamond Dave wrote:
    >
    > > Digital CDMA?
    >
    > Depends on which CellOne it is.

    Its a local mon & pop one. They used to be a partner with Altel in that
    area. Then when VZW traded areas with Altel they became the owner of that
    system for Wayne & Pike county.

    On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 19:53:31 -0400, "George" <george@nospam.invalid>
    wrote:

    >Just the NE corner of NEPA ... I was also surprised to see it last weekend.
    >The coverage is actually pretty good too except there was no digital signal
    >in downtown Honesdale. I wonder if they are just bringing the digital stuff
    >up?

    Sounds like it, given that C1 NE PA's HQ and main store is in
    Honesdale...

    -SC
    --
    Stanley Cline -- sc1 at roamer1 dot org -- http://www.roamer1.org/
    "Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today. There might

    On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 15:10:15 -0700, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
    wrote:

    >Diamond Dave wrote:
    >
    >> Digital CDMA?
    >
    >Depends on which CellOne it is.
    >
    >Western Wireless (current owner of the CellularONE brand name after SBC gave it
    >up) is migrating or has migrated their entire network to CDMA.
    >
    >Dobson Cellular (longtime CellularONE franchisee) is going from TDMA to GSM.

    That's my point. The "Cellular One" brand name is so inter-mixed with
    TDMA/GSM and CDMA (depending on franchise) that you can't tell which
    one is which.

    I was assuming that Cell one of NE PA would be CDMA since they were
    selling CDMA phones.

    Dave

    On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 19:48:22 -0700, Joseph <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 17:01:48 -0400, Diamond Dave
    ><dmine45.NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Digital CDMA?
    >
    >Sure as opposed to analog CDMA :)

    No silly.. digital could mean TDMA, GSM, iDEN, etc.

    I was assuming the poster meant CDMA but they didn't specify :-)

    Dave

    "Diamond Dave" <dmine45.NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 19:48:22 -0700, Joseph <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 17:01:48 -0400, Diamond Dave
    > ><dmine45.NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >>Digital CDMA?
    > >
    > >Sure as opposed to analog CDMA :)
    > >

    > No silly.. digital could mean TDMA, GSM, iDEN, etc.
    >
    > I was assuming the poster meant CDMA but they didn't specify :-)
    >
    > Dave

    Since the OP said it was now digital roaming partner, and this is VZW
    newsgroup - I would hope it was CDMA.

    On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 21:00:48 GMT, Dean wrote:

    > Last trip to Wayne County, PA gets a digital signal from CellOne NEPA, SID
    > 1620 at Lake Wallenpaupack.
    >
    > Finally, a digital roaming partner in NE Pennsylvania..Hooray!!

    How does I84 coverage look now from Scranton to the NY line?

    Yep, it's gotta be CDMA, since isn't that the only digital technology
    my Verizon phone would pick up in digital mode??? or am I mistaken?

    Background: I stuck with my SRE plan for years because we travel to
    Lakeville, not far from Honesdale, often on weekends. I had a Sprint-enabled
    PRL in my old StarTac (patting self on back, wasn't I smart??) and was very
    happy with the coverage. If I didn't have Sprint coverage, it fell back on
    the OLD analog roaming partner, ATTWS, on SID 1619. There was nearly
    seamless coverage between the two. Subsequently, VZW changed roaming
    partners to SID 1620 (CellOneNEPA), which had NO digital capability
    whatsoever anywhere as far as I could tell. I stubbornly refused to go to
    A/C until I found the 300-minute-with-limited-mobile-to-mobile thing was
    killing me.

    I kept reading about the Northcoast PCS license purchases here, and hoping
    it would be the answer. Nope, read on...

    Finally I gave up and took the new phone with a really good deal on the
    500-minute plan. Had to put up with the analog battery drain every time we
    got West of Milford on I-84, until suddenly, maybe 3 months ago, I noticed I
    was in "Extended Area DIGITAL" between Milford and Lords Valley. I kept
    checking my current SID, thinking it was a mistake, because SID22 from NY
    metro bleeds through up the Delaware from NJ. Nope, no mistake, SID 1620
    digital, but it stopped and dropped back to analog near Blooming Grove.

    I thought, correctly it turns out, that this was CellOne rolling out digital
    service. Just in time, since I think Nokia stopped making the Nokia 101, and
    CellOne ran out of phones to sell (LOL, remember the 101, great old analog
    phone. Made and received phone calls and that was about it. The only game
    you could play with it was Spin the CellPhone, in the absence of a soda
    bottle LOL).

    Last trip up, we found we now have digital service at Lake Wallenpaupack
    (wow!) and most of the surrounding area, but here's the kick in the ass----I
    realized that in Honesdale, home of CellOneNEPA's ONLY store, across from
    WalMart, the service is still analog. Maybe they found a few more boat
    anchors in the back room.

    Regarding I-84, my anecdotal experience is as follows:

    Headed West from NY line, Verizon native SID22 until about 3-5 miles past
    the Milford exit. SID 1620/CellOne digital until Blooming Grove, and
    probably past there, we always exit at Blooming Grove. From there westbound,
    I have to draw you a blank until around the Mt Cobb exit, around where the
    Scranton SID96 Verizon coverage kicks in. Hope this helps.

    Hey, guys, I thought nobody cared about NEPA----I was shocked to see how
    many responses were posted. Thanks.

    -----and by the way, the analog was really killing me, because the v60s I
    couldn't wait to get has one of the worst analog sections I've seen----way
    worse than the wife's v60i.

    Just my opinion.

    On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 04:17:38 GMT, "Dean" <dean173@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >-----and by the way, the analog was really killing me, because the v60s I
    >couldn't wait to get has one of the worst analog sections I've seen----way
    >worse than the wife's v60i.
    >
    >Just my opinion.

    Your opinion on the analog section (or lack thereof) on the v60s phone
    is the same as mine. I'm very dissapointed in the analog section. The
    digital section though is quite good and is better than any of the
    previous phones I've had on Verizon (v120c and v120e).

    Dave

Verizon County Internet Service Providers