Doom3..how far without death ?

Have been playing Doom3 for a couple of weeks now, really
having a good time and enjoying it.
I save the game on a regular basis, death comes violently
and often.
Just curious how far anyone has made it from the very
beginning without death ?
Honestly now ! <g>
Zork
14 answers Last reply
More about doom3 death
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    "Zork" <zork100@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > Have been playing Doom3 for a couple of weeks now, really
    > having a good time and enjoying it.
    > I save the game on a regular basis, death comes violently
    > and often.
    > Just curious how far anyone has made it from the very
    > beginning without death ?
    > Honestly now ! <g>
    > Zork

    Ha! Certainly not me! I think I might have gotten the very first Imp
    but the one behind me definitely got ME! I was starting the game over
    at each death. After my 3rd restart to the beginning from getting
    killed somewhere in Alpha Labs I said to heck with that idea, I ain't
    that good at ALL! After that, I really enjoyed myself. Quite a sense
    of accomplishment *and* relief when it was finally over :) What a ride!
    McG.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    In article <HnT0e.39170$8D.35803@tornado.texas.rr.com>,
    McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com says...

    >"Zork" <zork100@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    >> Have been playing Doom3 for a couple of weeks now, really
    >> having a good time and enjoying it.
    >> I save the game on a regular basis, death comes violently
    >> and often.
    >> Just curious how far anyone has made it from the very
    >> beginning without death ?
    >> Honestly now ! <g>
    >> Zork
    >
    >Ha! Certainly not me! I think I might have gotten the very first Imp
    >but the one behind me definitely got ME! I was starting the game over
    >at each death. After my 3rd restart to the beginning from getting
    >killed somewhere in Alpha Labs I said to heck with that idea, I ain't
    >that good at ALL! After that, I really enjoyed myself. Quite a sense
    >of accomplishment *and* relief when it was finally over :) What a ride!
    >McG.

    Heck....I'm just into the Alpha labs now and got my first grenades.
    Have NO idea how far along I am, but suspect the road ahead is
    long and dangerous ! !
    Great fun !
    Zork
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    > In article <HnT0e.39170$8D.35803@tornado.texas.rr.com>,
    > McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com says...
    >>
    >> "Zork" <zork100@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    >>> Have been playing Doom3 for a couple of weeks now, really
    >>> having a good time and enjoying it.
    >>> I save the game on a regular basis, death comes violently
    >>> and often.
    >>> Just curious how far anyone has made it from the very
    >>> beginning without death ?
    >>> Honestly now ! <g>
    >>> Zork
    >>
    >> Ha! Certainly not me! I think I might have gotten the very first
    >> Imp but the one behind me definitely got ME! I was starting the
    >> game over at each death. After my 3rd restart to the beginning
    >> from getting killed somewhere in Alpha Labs I said to heck with that
    >> idea, I ain't that good at ALL! After that, I really enjoyed
    >> myself. Quite a sense of accomplishment *and* relief when it was
    >> finally over :) What a ride! McG.
    >>

    > Heck....I'm just into the Alpha labs now and got my first grenades.
    > Have NO idea how far along I am, but suspect the road ahead is
    > long and dangerous ! !
    > Great fun !
    > Zork

    It IS a lot of fun.

    BTW, what specs are the rig you're playing it on?
    McG.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    In article <DMV0e.39233$8D.9071@tornado.texas.rr.com>,
    McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com says...

    >"Zork" <zork100@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    >> In article <HnT0e.39170$8D.35803@tornado.texas.rr.com>,
    >> McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com says...
    >>>
    >>> "Zork" <zork100@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Ha! Certainly not me! I think I might have gotten the very first
    >>> Imp but the one behind me definitely got ME! I was starting the
    >>> game over at each death. After my 3rd restart to the beginning
    >>> from getting killed somewhere in Alpha Labs I said to heck with that
    >>> idea, I ain't that good at ALL! After that, I really enjoyed
    >>> myself. Quite a sense of accomplishment *and* relief when it was
    >>> finally over :) What a ride! McG.
    >>>

    >> Heck....I'm just into the Alpha labs now and got my first grenades.
    >> Have NO idea how far along I am, but suspect the road ahead is
    >> long and dangerous ! !
    >> Great fun !
    >> Zork
    >
    >It IS a lot of fun.
    >
    >BTW, what specs are the rig you're playing it on?
    >McG.
    >
    >I am playing it on a HP 3.2Ghz with ATI 256....LAPTOP...with
    the 17" wide screen.(WinXP). No lag,good framerate, no complaints.
    (Some of the rooms are REALLY dark, use the flashlight...die ! !)
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    Zork wrote:
    > Have been playing Doom3 for a couple of weeks now, really
    > having a good time and enjoying it.
    > I save the game on a regular basis, death comes violently
    > and often.
    > Just curious how far anyone has made it from the very
    > beginning without death ?
    > Honestly now ! <g>
    > Zork

    On the easiest level I've beat the game without dying. On the hardest
    level before nightmare I've got to the next to last caverns level. But
    usually I die in the hell level where you have to jump from platform to
    platform and lost souls charge from all directions. Other than that one
    part, it's all pretty easy.

    -Gary
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    "Zork" <zork100@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > Have been playing Doom3 for a couple of weeks now, really
    > having a good time and enjoying it.
    > I save the game on a regular basis, death comes violently
    > and often.
    > Just curious how far anyone has made it from the very
    > beginning without death ?
    > Honestly now ! <g>
    > Zork

    When I was started playing I tried it on Veteran (or whatever the hardest
    was) but soon found myself dying constantly. I'd constantly be wondering
    around with low health, and have an imp leap out and kill me with no chance
    of survival. The bit where the imp breaks its way through the stairs, really
    early in the game, I was stuck on that that for a while, and then restarted
    in the medium difficulty. Strange really, apart from his scripted entrance,
    it was just another imp! I slayed hundreds since then!

    Enjoy the game, I'll looking forward to the expansion pack!
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    In article <KqKdnf3eo9KlWdnfRVn-gg@comcast.com>, gcauthon@hotmail.com says...

    >Zork wrote:
    >> Have been playing Doom3 for a couple of weeks now, really
    >> having a good time and enjoying it.
    >> I save the game on a regular basis, death comes violently
    >> and often.
    >> Just curious how far anyone has made it from the very
    >> beginning without death ?
    >> Honestly now ! <g>
    >> Zork
    >>

    >On the easiest level I've beat the game without dying. On the hardest
    >level before nightmare I've got to the next to last caverns level. But
    >usually I die in the hell level where you have to jump from platform to
    >platform and lost souls charge from all directions. Other than that one
    >part, it's all pretty easy.
    >
    > Wow........
    Congrats to you ! ! Can't imagine how you could do that even
    on the easiest level. Maybe youth ? ?
    Zork
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    > In article <DMV0e.39233$8D.9071@tornado.texas.rr.com>,
    > McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com says...
    >>
    >> "Zork" <zork100@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    >>> In article <HnT0e.39170$8D.35803@tornado.texas.rr.com>,
    >>> McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com says...

    >>> Heck....I'm just into the Alpha labs now and got my first grenades.
    >>> Have NO idea how far along I am, but suspect the road ahead is
    >>> long and dangerous ! !
    >>> Great fun !
    >>> Zork
    >>
    >> It IS a lot of fun.
    >>
    >> BTW, what specs are the rig you're playing it on?
    >> McG.
    >>
    >> I am playing it on a HP 3.2Ghz with ATI 256....LAPTOP...with
    > the 17" wide screen.(WinXP). No lag,good framerate, no complaints.
    > (Some of the rooms are REALLY dark, use the flashlight...die ! !)

    There were some rooms that went "Lights OUT" for just a bit, till the
    teleporting was done, and some that when they went out they stayed out.
    Some they stayed on in. The lighting was really varied. Left me with
    the feeling that there was about to be NO lights, except the glow of
    firelight. It took me a while to realize that it was supposed to be
    like this :)
    McG.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    Gary Cauthon <gcauthon@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >On the easiest level I've beat the game without dying. On the hardest
    >level before nightmare I've got to the next to last caverns level. But
    >usually I die in the hell level where you have to jump from platform to
    >platform and lost souls charge from all directions.

    The secret there is to avoid the stones with the symbols on them.

    --
    sda_mail Scott | Yields over 30 blasts or
    @comcast.net Amspoker | 80 gentle honks per charge!

    On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 11:29:39 +0000, ArWeGod wrote:

    > Anyone remember Ghosts and Goblins? That game made you play the entire
    > thing over every time you died and I got to the end (or maybe to the
    > penultimate level)! Exhausting!

    Sure. You sure are tough. You're a real hero to all of us.

    Pfffffffffffftttttttt.

    Linux Registered User #327951
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    > Speaking of that kind of game.... I have one, and would still be playing
    > it if I can find the thing.... you can NOT save the game until you get
    > into the elevator....in the first level... and I have absolutely no idea
    > what any other levels look like in this game. As far as I know, the
    > only way to exit the game is to reboot too.... I first found it for the
    > Atari ST. Later, it was ported to and I bought it for the PC.
    > Quadralien. If ya know anything about THIS oldie, lemme know man!
    > There really aren't any instructions to it either. Any time any text
    > comes up anywhere at all, REMEMBER it, write it down...it's important to
    > the little game :) Oh, it comes on ONE floppy.
    > So...Quadralien...
    >
    > McG.

    Google does it agian, manual and all...

    http://free-game-downloads.mosw.com/abandonware/pc/puzzle_games/games_o_r/quadralien.html
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    "DaNewsreader" <news@read.er> wrote in message
    >> Speaking of that kind of game.... I have one, and would still be
    >> playing it if I can find the thing.... you can NOT save the game
    >> until you get into the elevator....in the first level... and I have
    >> absolutely no idea what any other levels look like in this game. As
    >> far as I know, the only way to exit the game is to reboot too.... I
    >> first found it for the Atari ST. Later, it was ported to and I
    >> bought it for the PC. Quadralien. If ya know anything about THIS
    >> oldie, lemme know man! There really aren't any instructions to it
    >> either. Any time any text comes up anywhere at all, REMEMBER it,
    >> write it down...it's important to the little game :) Oh, it comes
    >> on ONE floppy.
    >> So...Quadralien...
    >>
    >> McG.
    >>

    > Google does it agian, manual and all...
    >
    > http://free-game-downloads.mosw.com/abandonware/pc/puzzle_games/games_o_r/quadralien.html

    Ah yes, for $$. I'll find my own disk and run that. :) I'll also dig
    up an old 5.25 floppy to put it in :) Thanks for the info though!
    McG.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    "ArWeGod" <ArWeGod?@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

    > Anyone remember Ghosts and Goblins? That game made you play the
    > entire thing over every time you died and I got to the end (or
    > maybe to the penultimate level)! Exhausting!

    Ghosts and Goblins was a bitch but Super Ghouls and Ghosts for Super
    Nintendo was even worse. I think. Or maybe I did not spend as much
    time trying to beat Super Ghouls and Ghosts as I did the first one.
    I know that after being obsessed with proving I could beat it, I
    finally made it through Ghosts and Goblins but it was... hell.
    Finally beating the devil and then learning you had to do it all over
    again - in a harder mode, was the most frustrating gaming moment EVER.
    =)

    Another game that was insanely hard was Ninja Gaiden III. The first
    one was moderately hard by the time you made it to the last level, the
    second one was a comparative breeze, but the third one was just
    insanely tough. Probably not as hard as Ghosts and Goblins but still
    a tremendous pain.

    People recently went nuts over Ninja Gaiden for X-Box and how hard it
    was. Apparently they never played Ghosts and Goblins or Ninja Gaiden
    III, both of which were 2x as hard.

    Perhaps the hardest game I have ever played is Transformers for the
    Famicom. It is also one of the worst games ever made. I downloaded
    an emulator and tried to play it but after trying many times, I never
    made it through the first stage. One hit killed you. You blow up a
    ship and this little man falls out and kills you. You try to shoot
    him and find he is too small to be hit. The game looked terrible -
    what I saw of it. It might have been created by a drunk squirrel. I
    do not think I made it past the third or fourth enemy, although it
    certainly was not engaging enough for me to make much of an attempt to
    go through the game. I would not be surprised if there was only one
    stage and everyone on earth simply gave up before they realized this.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

    "Zork" <zork100@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > Have been playing Doom3 for a couple of weeks now, really
    > having a good time and enjoying it.
    > I save the game on a regular basis, death comes violently
    > and often.
    > Just curious how far anyone has made it from the very
    > beginning without death ?
    > Honestly now ! <g>
    > Zork

    I remember playing DOOM and DOOM2 on Ultra-Violence mode (on a 386-33) and
    enjoying it. I still play them with my sons and usually don't have too much
    trouble. I've been playing DOOM3 on weeny mode and it's HARD! Maybe it's
    just getting used to the new controls.

    Kevin

Games Video Games