Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Doom3..how far without death ?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 3:11:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

Have been playing Doom3 for a couple of weeks now, really
having a good time and enjoying it.
I save the game on a regular basis, death comes violently
and often.
Just curious how far anyone has made it from the very
beginning without death ?
Honestly now ! <g>
Zork

More about : doom3 death

Anonymous
March 25, 2005 3:21:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

"Zork" <zork100@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
news:ieT0e.6863$cg1.459@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net
> Have been playing Doom3 for a couple of weeks now, really
> having a good time and enjoying it.
> I save the game on a regular basis, death comes violently
> and often.
> Just curious how far anyone has made it from the very
> beginning without death ?
> Honestly now ! <g>
> Zork

Ha! Certainly not me! I think I might have gotten the very first Imp
but the one behind me definitely got ME! I was starting the game over
at each death. After my 3rd restart to the beginning from getting
killed somewhere in Alpha Labs I said to heck with that idea, I ain't
that good at ALL! After that, I really enjoyed myself. Quite a sense
of accomplishment *and* relief when it was finally over :)  What a ride!
McG.
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 5:45:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

In article <HnT0e.39170$8D.35803@tornado.texas.rr.com>,
McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com says...
>
>"Zork" <zork100@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>news:ieT0e.6863$cg1.459@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net
>> Have been playing Doom3 for a couple of weeks now, really
>> having a good time and enjoying it.
>> I save the game on a regular basis, death comes violently
>> and often.
>> Just curious how far anyone has made it from the very
>> beginning without death ?
>> Honestly now ! <g>
>> Zork
>
>Ha! Certainly not me! I think I might have gotten the very first Imp
>but the one behind me definitely got ME! I was starting the game over
>at each death. After my 3rd restart to the beginning from getting
>killed somewhere in Alpha Labs I said to heck with that idea, I ain't
>that good at ALL! After that, I really enjoyed myself. Quite a sense
>of accomplishment *and* relief when it was finally over :)  What a ride!
>McG.
>
>
Heck....I'm just into the Alpha labs now and got my first grenades.
Have NO idea how far along I am, but suspect the road ahead is
long and dangerous ! !
Great fun !
Zork
Related resources
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 6:05:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

"Zork" <zork100@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
news:2uV0e.7241$cg1.2663@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net
> In article <HnT0e.39170$8D.35803@tornado.texas.rr.com>,
> McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com says...
>>
>> "Zork" <zork100@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> news:ieT0e.6863$cg1.459@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net
>>> Have been playing Doom3 for a couple of weeks now, really
>>> having a good time and enjoying it.
>>> I save the game on a regular basis, death comes violently
>>> and often.
>>> Just curious how far anyone has made it from the very
>>> beginning without death ?
>>> Honestly now ! <g>
>>> Zork
>>
>> Ha! Certainly not me! I think I might have gotten the very first
>> Imp but the one behind me definitely got ME! I was starting the
>> game over at each death. After my 3rd restart to the beginning
>> from getting killed somewhere in Alpha Labs I said to heck with that
>> idea, I ain't that good at ALL! After that, I really enjoyed
>> myself. Quite a sense of accomplishment *and* relief when it was
>> finally over :)  What a ride! McG.
>>
>>
> Heck....I'm just into the Alpha labs now and got my first grenades.
> Have NO idea how far along I am, but suspect the road ahead is
> long and dangerous ! !
> Great fun !
> Zork

It IS a lot of fun.

BTW, what specs are the rig you're playing it on?
McG.
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 6:24:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

In article <DMV0e.39233$8D.9071@tornado.texas.rr.com>,
McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com says...
>
>"Zork" <zork100@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>news:2uV0e.7241$cg1.2663@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net
>> In article <HnT0e.39170$8D.35803@tornado.texas.rr.com>,
>> McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com says...
>>>
>>> "Zork" <zork100@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>>> news:ieT0e.6863$cg1.459@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net
>>>> Have been playing Doom3 for a couple of weeks now, really
>>>> having a good time and enjoying it.
>>>> I save the game on a regular basis, death comes violently
>>>> and often.
>>>> Just curious how far anyone has made it from the very
>>>> beginning without death ?
>>>> Honestly now ! <g>
>>>> Zork
>>>
>>> Ha! Certainly not me! I think I might have gotten the very first
>>> Imp but the one behind me definitely got ME! I was starting the
>>> game over at each death. After my 3rd restart to the beginning
>>> from getting killed somewhere in Alpha Labs I said to heck with that
>>> idea, I ain't that good at ALL! After that, I really enjoyed
>>> myself. Quite a sense of accomplishment *and* relief when it was
>>> finally over :)  What a ride! McG.
>>>
>>>
>> Heck....I'm just into the Alpha labs now and got my first grenades.
>> Have NO idea how far along I am, but suspect the road ahead is
>> long and dangerous ! !
>> Great fun !
>> Zork
>
>It IS a lot of fun.
>
>BTW, what specs are the rig you're playing it on?
>McG.
>
>I am playing it on a HP 3.2Ghz with ATI 256....LAPTOP...with
the 17" wide screen.(WinXP). No lag,good framerate, no complaints.
(Some of the rooms are REALLY dark, use the flashlight...die ! !)
Z
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 11:08:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

Zork wrote:
> Have been playing Doom3 for a couple of weeks now, really
> having a good time and enjoying it.
> I save the game on a regular basis, death comes violently
> and often.
> Just curious how far anyone has made it from the very
> beginning without death ?
> Honestly now ! <g>
> Zork
>

On the easiest level I've beat the game without dying. On the hardest
level before nightmare I've got to the next to last caverns level. But
usually I die in the hell level where you have to jump from platform to
platform and lost souls charge from all directions. Other than that one
part, it's all pretty easy.

-Gary
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 4:17:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

"Zork" <zork100@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
news:ieT0e.6863$cg1.459@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> Have been playing Doom3 for a couple of weeks now, really
> having a good time and enjoying it.
> I save the game on a regular basis, death comes violently
> and often.
> Just curious how far anyone has made it from the very
> beginning without death ?
> Honestly now ! <g>
> Zork
>

When I was started playing I tried it on Veteran (or whatever the hardest
was) but soon found myself dying constantly. I'd constantly be wondering
around with low health, and have an imp leap out and kill me with no chance
of survival. The bit where the imp breaks its way through the stairs, really
early in the game, I was stuck on that that for a while, and then restarted
in the medium difficulty. Strange really, apart from his scripted entrance,
it was just another imp! I slayed hundreds since then!

Enjoy the game, I'll looking forward to the expansion pack!
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 6:10:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

In article <KqKdnf3eo9KlWdnfRVn-gg@comcast.com>, gcauthon@hotmail.com says...
>
>Zork wrote:
>> Have been playing Doom3 for a couple of weeks now, really
>> having a good time and enjoying it.
>> I save the game on a regular basis, death comes violently
>> and often.
>> Just curious how far anyone has made it from the very
>> beginning without death ?
>> Honestly now ! <g>
>> Zork
>>
>
>On the easiest level I've beat the game without dying. On the hardest
>level before nightmare I've got to the next to last caverns level. But
>usually I die in the hell level where you have to jump from platform to
>platform and lost souls charge from all directions. Other than that one
>part, it's all pretty easy.
>
> Wow........
Congrats to you ! ! Can't imagine how you could do that even
on the easiest level. Maybe youth ? ?
Zork
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 11:09:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

"Zork" <zork100@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
news:C2W0e.454535$w62.79041@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net
> In article <DMV0e.39233$8D.9071@tornado.texas.rr.com>,
> McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com says...
>>
>> "Zork" <zork100@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> news:2uV0e.7241$cg1.2663@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net
>>> In article <HnT0e.39170$8D.35803@tornado.texas.rr.com>,
>>> McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com says...
>>>>
>>>> "Zork" <zork100@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>>>> news:ieT0e.6863$cg1.459@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net
>>>>> Have been playing Doom3 for a couple of weeks now, really
>>>>> having a good time and enjoying it.
>>>>> I save the game on a regular basis, death comes violently
>>>>> and often.
>>>>> Just curious how far anyone has made it from the very
>>>>> beginning without death ?
>>>>> Honestly now ! <g>
>>>>> Zork
>>>>
>>>> Ha! Certainly not me! I think I might have gotten the very
>>>> first Imp but the one behind me definitely got ME! I was
>>>> starting the game over at each death. After my 3rd restart to
>>>> the beginning from getting killed somewhere in Alpha Labs I said
>>>> to heck with that idea, I ain't that good at ALL! After that, I
>>>> really enjoyed myself. Quite a sense of accomplishment *and*
>>>> relief when it was finally over :)  What a ride! McG.
>>>>
>>>>
>>> Heck....I'm just into the Alpha labs now and got my first grenades.
>>> Have NO idea how far along I am, but suspect the road ahead is
>>> long and dangerous ! !
>>> Great fun !
>>> Zork
>>
>> It IS a lot of fun.
>>
>> BTW, what specs are the rig you're playing it on?
>> McG.
>>
>> I am playing it on a HP 3.2Ghz with ATI 256....LAPTOP...with
> the 17" wide screen.(WinXP). No lag,good framerate, no complaints.
> (Some of the rooms are REALLY dark, use the flashlight...die ! !)
> Z

There were some rooms that went "Lights OUT" for just a bit, till the
teleporting was done, and some that when they went out they stayed out.
Some they stayed on in. The lighting was really varied. Left me with
the feeling that there was about to be NO lights, except the glow of
firelight. It took me a while to realize that it was supposed to be
like this :) 
McG.
Anonymous
March 26, 2005 1:29:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

Gary Cauthon <gcauthon@hotmail.com> wrote:


>On the easiest level I've beat the game without dying. On the hardest
>level before nightmare I've got to the next to last caverns level. But
>usually I die in the hell level where you have to jump from platform to
>platform and lost souls charge from all directions.

The secret there is to avoid the stones with the symbols on them.


--
sda_mail Scott | Yields over 30 blasts or
@comcast.net Amspoker | 80 gentle honks per charge!
^ my email |
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 12:41:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 11:29:39 +0000, ArWeGod wrote:

> Anyone remember Ghosts and Goblins? That game made you play the entire
> thing over every time you died and I got to the end (or maybe to the
> penultimate level)! Exhausting!

Sure. You sure are tough. You're a real hero to all of us.

Pfffffffffffftttttttt.

--
If you're not on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
Linux Registered User #327951
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 1:10:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

>
> Speaking of that kind of game.... I have one, and would still be playing
> it if I can find the thing.... you can NOT save the game until you get
> into the elevator....in the first level... and I have absolutely no idea
> what any other levels look like in this game. As far as I know, the
> only way to exit the game is to reboot too.... I first found it for the
> Atari ST. Later, it was ported to and I bought it for the PC.
> Quadralien. If ya know anything about THIS oldie, lemme know man!
> There really aren't any instructions to it either. Any time any text
> comes up anywhere at all, REMEMBER it, write it down...it's important to
> the little game :)  Oh, it comes on ONE floppy.
> So...Quadralien...
>
> McG.
>
>

Google does it agian, manual and all...

http://free-game-downloads.mosw.com/abandonware/pc/puzz...
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 2:51:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

"DaNewsreader" <news@read.er> wrote in message
news:115ach7gplr6436@corp.supernews.com
>> Speaking of that kind of game.... I have one, and would still be
>> playing it if I can find the thing.... you can NOT save the game
>> until you get into the elevator....in the first level... and I have
>> absolutely no idea what any other levels look like in this game. As
>> far as I know, the only way to exit the game is to reboot too.... I
>> first found it for the Atari ST. Later, it was ported to and I
>> bought it for the PC. Quadralien. If ya know anything about THIS
>> oldie, lemme know man! There really aren't any instructions to it
>> either. Any time any text comes up anywhere at all, REMEMBER it,
>> write it down...it's important to the little game :)  Oh, it comes
>> on ONE floppy.
>> So...Quadralien...
>>
>> McG.
>>
>>
>
> Google does it agian, manual and all...
>
> http://free-game-downloads.mosw.com/abandonware/pc/puzz...

Ah yes, for $$. I'll find my own disk and run that. :)  I'll also dig
up an old 5.25 floppy to put it in :)  Thanks for the info though!
McG.
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 5:23:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

"ArWeGod" <ArWeGod?@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> Anyone remember Ghosts and Goblins? That game made you play the
> entire thing over every time you died and I got to the end (or
> maybe to the penultimate level)! Exhausting!

Ghosts and Goblins was a bitch but Super Ghouls and Ghosts for Super
Nintendo was even worse. I think. Or maybe I did not spend as much
time trying to beat Super Ghouls and Ghosts as I did the first one.
I know that after being obsessed with proving I could beat it, I
finally made it through Ghosts and Goblins but it was... hell.
Finally beating the devil and then learning you had to do it all over
again - in a harder mode, was the most frustrating gaming moment EVER.
=)

Another game that was insanely hard was Ninja Gaiden III. The first
one was moderately hard by the time you made it to the last level, the
second one was a comparative breeze, but the third one was just
insanely tough. Probably not as hard as Ghosts and Goblins but still
a tremendous pain.

People recently went nuts over Ninja Gaiden for X-Box and how hard it
was. Apparently they never played Ghosts and Goblins or Ninja Gaiden
III, both of which were 2x as hard.

Perhaps the hardest game I have ever played is Transformers for the
Famicom. It is also one of the worst games ever made. I downloaded
an emulator and tried to play it but after trying many times, I never
made it through the first stage. One hit killed you. You blow up a
ship and this little man falls out and kills you. You try to shoot
him and find he is too small to be hit. The game looked terrible -
what I saw of it. It might have been created by a drunk squirrel. I
do not think I made it past the third or fourth enemy, although it
certainly was not engaging enough for me to make much of an attempt to
go through the game. I would not be surprised if there was only one
stage and everyone on earth simply gave up before they realized this.
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 12:51:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.doom (More info?)

"Zork" <zork100@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
news:ieT0e.6863$cg1.459@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> Have been playing Doom3 for a couple of weeks now, really
> having a good time and enjoying it.
> I save the game on a regular basis, death comes violently
> and often.
> Just curious how far anyone has made it from the very
> beginning without death ?
> Honestly now ! <g>
> Zork


I remember playing DOOM and DOOM2 on Ultra-Violence mode (on a 386-33) and
enjoying it. I still play them with my sons and usually don't have too much
trouble. I've been playing DOOM3 on weeny mode and it's HARD! Maybe it's
just getting used to the new controls.

Kevin



----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
!