Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Another FFXIV question

Last response: in Video Games
Share
October 30, 2010 4:29:25 PM

I play FFXIV on my older computer and the game is sluggish. I don't have the settings all the way up. I am wondering if my problems are system related, settings related, or FFXIV related?

I am willing to upgrade parts. I am not trying to buy another computer right now. I still need to fix my HP Blackbird before I consider spending more that $600.


My setup is:

Model: HP m9500y
AMD Phenom 9750 Quad-Core 2.40Ghz
8GB ram, DDR II SDRAM, 800.0 MHz
1.0 x 750.0 - Standard - Serial ATA - 7200.0
NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GS, 512.0 MB
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit Edition

I don't know my mobo or the settings on FFXIV. I don't know how to check my mobo/chipset it w/o opening my chassis or DLing software. I can get you the info if needed; I would just need to log out of FFXIV first :) 

Any help is appreciated...

More about : ffxiv question

October 30, 2010 9:03:06 PM

Kayone said:
I don't have the settings all the way up. .


What exactly DO you have the setting on? With the setup you have, you should be getting around 15-20 FPS, which would result in some performance lag. The best (and cheapest) thing you could do to increase performance is it upgrade from DDR2 to DDR3 RAM, though I'm not sure this is possible for you unless you upgrade the mobo too, resulting in more money spent as well (assuming that your mobo only supports DDR2 RAM).

So, with that being said I'll tell you what I tell everyone else. Overclock. Not by a lot, but you could OC your CPU by .5GHz, you would keep around the same temps (+/- 10c) and would see a 5-7 FPS increase. Also, you could OC your graphics card too with software such as EVGA Precision. In addition, lowering your in game graphics settings (assuming that they aren't already at lowest possible) would also give you more fluidity in your frame rate.

But other than upgrading your hardware you don't really have too many other options. Best of luck!
m
0
l
October 31, 2010 12:38:07 AM

I doubt one can overclock an HP.

FFXIV is a terribly coded game. I think it has something to do with the number of platforms they wrote it for, it sounded like a sloppy mashing together of code.

I'm sure you realized how half-baked the effort seemed just from the installation to registration process.

I had a Core 2 Quad with a GTX460 1GB. The problem is that the game didn't utilize 100% of my GPU or CPU.

Some morons told me my CPU was bottlenecking the GPU, so this moron upgraded his system to a Core i5 quad. The game still doesn't utilize 100% of the GPU or CPU, and the framerates still suck.

I suspect the best thing would be to get an AMD GPU for this game.
m
0
l
Related resources
October 31, 2010 12:44:54 PM

UPnP Port Mapping: Automatic

Display Mode: Windowed
1920x1080
Multisampling: No AA
Buffer Size: Resolution
Shadow Detail: Lowest
Ambient Occulsion: Off
Depth in Field: Off
CS Effects: Enabled
Texture Quality: Standard
Texture Filtering: High
m
0
l
October 31, 2010 6:14:30 PM

Yeah, you're going to get some lag from having high texture filtering & standard quality on a 1080p res. Bump those down to see better performance.
m
0
l
November 1, 2010 7:03:03 PM

calmstateofmind said:
What exactly DO you have the setting on? With the setup you have, you should be getting around 15-20 FPS, which would result in some performance lag. The best (and cheapest) thing you could do to increase performance is it upgrade from DDR2 to DDR3 RAM, though I'm not sure this is possible for you unless you upgrade the mobo too, resulting in more money spent as well (assuming that your mobo only supports DDR2 RAM).

So, with that being said I'll tell you what I tell everyone else. Overclock. Not by a lot, but you could OC your CPU by .5GHz, you would keep around the same temps (+/- 10c) and would see a 5-7 FPS increase. Also, you could OC your graphics card too with software such as EVGA Precision. In addition, lowering your in game graphics settings (assuming that they aren't already at lowest possible) would also give you more fluidity in your frame rate.

But other than upgrading your hardware you don't really have too many other options. Best of luck!


along with switching to 720p video (and run on full screen to decrease the load) i would not upgrade my ram, instead spend the money on a new GPU, theres no way you can run ffxiv smoothly on a 9500, look on the levels of gtx 280 or radeon 5750 if you want to get over 40 fps consistently
m
0
l
November 2, 2010 1:26:22 AM

kick53rv3 said:
along with switching to 720p video (and run on full screen to decrease the load) i would not upgrade my ram, instead spend the money on a new GPU, theres no way you can run ffxiv smoothly on a 9500, look on the levels of gtx 280 or radeon 5750 if you want to get over 40 fps consistently


His bottleneck would be too much to get a card like that...it would be too much of a waste. Yeah, he's going to see a difference in performance but a 280 would kind of seem out of place....and if you're considering upgrades down the road, his current system will be ready for a few new parts in 3-4 months. His best bet would be to just build a new system now or try to work with what he has and wait it out until then.

Anything other then that and it seems like it would be too much of a waste of performance/money. Just my two cents...
m
0
l
November 3, 2010 3:18:57 AM

calmstateofmind said:
His bottleneck would be too much to get a card like that...it would be too much of a waste. Yeah, he's going to see a difference in performance but a 280 would kind of seem out of place....and if you're considering upgrades down the road, his current system will be ready for a few new parts in 3-4 months. His best bet would be to just build a new system now or try to work with what he has and wait it out until then.

Anything other then that and it seems like it would be too much of a waste of performance/money. Just my two cents...

but going from a 800 mhz ram to say 1333 mhz isn't that big of a difference to the system compare to upgrading the GPU, i used to have a 9600 gso and saw a huge performance boost (20+fps) when i switched to gtx 460, although his cpu might slow the system down too (im running a 3.4 phenom 2 quad and only 4 gigs of 1333 mhz ddr3)

but yeah i would say upgrade the system as a whole if you want to play these new release graphics intense games
m
0
l
November 3, 2010 6:01:17 PM

Going the ram route would be a complete waste because to do so he would have to buy a completely new motherboard, and the increase in performance would be a small handful of FPS at best. Going the GPU route is the only half-logical step he can possibly take. The CPU would be a bottleneck, but his GPU is DEFINITELY the weakest link in his rusted chain.
m
0
l
!