Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Why does Far Cry 2 run so well?

Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Crysis
  • FPS
  • SLI
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
Share
October 30, 2010 7:18:54 PM

In my opinion, Far Cry 2 looks graphically better than Crysis. But why does it run so well especially in SLI/CF setups? I've seen benchmarks where the performance is literally doubled across all resolutions when using Two GPU's.

Crysis struggles to run at over 30 fps at extremely high resolutions and with the AA kicked up.

You can sometimes get over 100 fps in Far Cry 2 at 2560x1600 with a high-end SLI/CF system.

More about : cry run

October 31, 2010 7:22:12 PM

crysis is more advanced with complicated physics and stuff

far cry 2 is a light version of crysis

let me know what you think about it
m
0
l
October 31, 2010 8:23:53 PM

Its written well. And the main thing is the particles and physics are lacking compared to crysis. Some of the textures look better in far cry but thats about it.

Physics and particles suck a crap load of power, and they have to knock everything back a bit so the game runs smoothly.
m
0
l
Related resources
November 1, 2010 5:41:08 PM

Crysis has better graphics !
Btw, you got a point, mass effect 2 for eg, is really nice on graphics ,but doesnt use up the gpu nor the cpu , well optimized. crysis on the other hand, will "kill" anything it gets - But well..
m
0
l
November 2, 2010 6:55:12 AM

55Range said:
Crysis has better graphics !
Btw, you got a point, mass effect 2 for eg, is really nice on graphics ,but doesnt use up the gpu nor the cpu , well optimized. crysis on the other hand, will "kill" anything it gets - But well..


Crysis is so badly coded, it will run poorly on GPU's from 15 years in the future. If they made PetaFLOP graphics cards in 2025, Crysis would still probably struggle to run at 30 fps on 2560x1600 with 8x AA, very high/enthusiast preset. While such a graphics card would run Crysis 4 on DX14, at 300 fps with all of the graphics kicked up as far as they can go.

Crysis was more of a vehicle to sell graphics cards than it is a video game. Back in 2007, when ATI and Nvidia were launching their first DX10 Radeon HD 2xxx and the GeForce 8xxx series cards, Crysis was simply "used" to sell graphics cards and other PC hardware.

This scheme worked.

I wish people would give the whole "how well will it run Crysis?" thing a rest.
m
0
l
November 2, 2010 7:16:09 AM

ambam said:
Crysis is so badly coded, it will run poorly on GPU's from 15 years in the future. If they made PetaFLOP graphics cards in 2025, Crysis would still probably struggle to run at 30 fps on 2560x1600 with 8x AA, very high/enthusiast preset. While such a graphics card would run Crysis 4 on DX14, at 300 fps with all of the graphics kicked up as far as they can go.

Crysis was more of a vehicle to sell graphics cards than it is a video game. Back in 2007, when ATI and Nvidia were launching their first DX10 Radeon HD 2xxx and the GeForce 8xxx series cards, Crysis was simply "used" to sell graphics cards and other PC hardware.

This scheme worked.

I wish people would give the whole "how well will it run Crysis?" thing a rest.


I agree, its definitely true its been not optimally coded, even with todays high end setups, crysis wont run really good at high res and graphics settings -
Anyway, there are much better games nowadays-
m
0
l
November 2, 2010 1:35:07 PM

I remember in 2007 when there were the exact same threads and all the flame wars between the two games (which usually included MW1). I had hoped these days were over. I personally loved Crysis and to this day, find Crysis to be one of the most visually appealing game on the market. That said, for something that's really close (like FarCry 2), you get a great looking game with 300% more performance. Go figure.
m
0
l
November 3, 2010 3:30:08 PM

seeing some of your replies even i begin to feel that crysis was made to sell graphics cards rather than video games.
m
0
l
November 3, 2010 9:30:13 PM

Far Cry 2 doesn't have the physics that crysis has but it is far more optamized
m
0
l
November 3, 2010 11:10:39 PM

Mithness said:
Far Cry 2 doesn't have the physics that crysis has but it is far more optamized


These FC2 benchmarks show literally doubled performance across all resolutions using Two GPU's in CF/SLI. 100 FPS at 1920x1200 with 8X AA is very impressive. A very playable 66 FPS at 2560x1600 is also very impressive. Most GPU's struggle to run games at that resolution, especially Crysis.

FC2's "Dunia" engine is very well coded and optimized.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-5870-crossfirex...
m
0
l
!