Aten MasterView CS1764 DVI KVM switch design fault

gjscott75

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2005
After much persistence (and emails) to Aten tech support, they've conceded that their MasterView CS-1764 DVI KVM switch (as reviewed at http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20050715/kvw-switches-01.html) has a hardware design fault.

The problem is the keyboard and mouse won't work properly if your KVM is attached to a computer with an nForce4 chipset (mouse movement and keyboard strokes are very erratic). Aten seem to have known about it for a couple of months yet they STILL haven't withdrawn it from sale, or at least posted a warning on their website. I was offered two solutions: 1) wait 3-4 months for them to release a new revision of the hardware or 2) return it to the retailer (at my OWN cost) for a refund. I've taken the refund and that's the last item of their kit I'll ever buy!

For the record, I'd also previously had a Belkin 2 port DVI KVM where the keyboard and mouse would stop working after a while (I had this replaced twice, and they all behaved the same way; I guess it's another design fault... they appeared to be withdrawn from sale for a while here in the UK but I've seen them on sale again recently so maybe it's been resolved?!?), and also an Emine 4 port DVI KVM that had video problems (pixels of a certain colour flashed at a very high, but noticeable, rate). How hard can it be to make a DVI KVM that actually works? Hopefully not too hard, I'm just waiting on delivery of an Avocent 4 port DVI KVM. Fingers crossed, this will be the last one I have to buy!

If a mod reads this, you may want to update the review of the Aten KVM switch. I personally trust the reviews of the kit at Tom's Hardware so I'm guessing lots of others do too... there could be people out there buying this KVM based on the review only to find it doesn't work with their hardware.

peartree

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2001
Perhaps you should consider a software-only approach. A product called Multiplicity from Stardock can give you KVM functionality as long as the two (or three) systems are networked. Once set up, it functions quite well and is a lot faster tan an average KVM switch. Not to mention the plus from having no extra cables and never going belly-up because of a hardware glitch.

<font color=green>****</font color=green> Never Assume <font color=red>ANYTHING</font color=red> <font color=green>****</font color=green>

dwightmccann

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2008
I understand about Aten KVM's having problems. My CS1782 won't present the keyboard to one of the two computer it is connected to and while there is no conceivable way that should happen with USB keyboard when the mice are presented they want me to switch all the cables around and reboot a bunch of times.

dwightmccann

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2008
Yes, I realized that later and started a new thread for this complaint. I am an infrequent poster here and didn't see the very light date stamp. This is not the forum software I am used to.

candidesh

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
If I had read all these lines earlier... :(
I've used a Aten CS-1764 for 3 years, the mouse never was able to handle two computers. Now the monitor display was flickering, thinking my monitor was bad, but it's the KVM!
Ok, I bought the successor CS-1764A and now: mouse still not working for 2 PCs and my keyboard strokes really make me a nervous wreck. Any key stroke is delayed, ctrl+c only writes "c" and upper letters are a pain for only working 30%, so what's this crap of hardware? I use new pcs and I'm sure to never buy aten again! :pfff:
--
candide