networking 4 computers

Gavin61

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2002
I am about to network 4 computers together and then have 2 computers be dialed up to the internet and have the other 2 share the connections of the two... i.e. 1-1 1-1 then have them all connected together. My question: How slow will the connections be b/c of using Dial-Up...and is there going to be a problem if 3 have XP and the other has win98?

THANKS

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
it will be slower than normal dialup if moe than one person is online at the same time. Shouldn't be a problem with those 2 OS.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If you want to use both modem at same time to speed up the Internet connection then you can install both modem into one computer and enable multilink. I think in order to use multilink your ISP have to support it but I am not sure about it.

Magic_Robertson

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2002
i connected my two computers through one connection and when both computers were loading different page's it was slloooowwww!!!

i suggest when doing what your thinking of disable all the crap that IE use's ;like sound's, pic's , checking for updates,
anything that you dont need, everything will help one way or another. :smile:

<font color=red>im a boring old fart and a drunkin bum. </font color=red>

Gavin61

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2002
Well, I think what is going to happen is of the two connected...one will usually just be checking e-mail...the other..on-line. And the same thing for the other two connected. I figured performance would decrease...just wanted to know how much....

One more thing...any ideas on what equipment I should use?
I just need 4 computers and a printer hooked together...

Magic_Robertson

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2002
well with my network, i got my computers hooked upto an 8port switch,

its better to get a switch coz, if you got a 100mega bit per sec hub each computer will share that 100Mbps of bandwith

if you get a switch each computer will get 100Mbps of bandwith for them selve's.

oh and when sharing the internet, having one computer for email , and the other for browsing will speed the browsing side up. :smile: email is just email, it never use's much speed from the 56k.

<font color=red>im a boring old fart and a drunkin bum. </font color=red>