Sign in with
Your question

Is this HP laptop good for work ?

Last response: in Business Computing
February 19, 2013 2:56:31 AM

It's an HP 2000-2b80dx, my moms birthday is coming up and i just need a decent laptop that will help her with her online work, and that also has decent speed and isn't terribly slow. And this laptop seems pretty decent for the price. But right now i just want a second opinion, remember this is just for work and also to stream videos occasionally. I have the link to the laptop if you need the specs.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+2000-2b80dx+Laptop%2C+Se...

http://browse.feedreader.com/c/Tech_Review_Site/2846236...

I'm on a tight budget so i can't go over 330 bucks.

More about : laptop good work

February 19, 2013 3:04:51 AM

So do you dislike your mom? Did she beat you as a kid or something? If you're going to buy something in the "guaranteed to break within 2 years" category, at least get here a Pentium D at that same price point.
February 19, 2013 3:09:24 AM

Are you serious ? what's with the rudeness ? i'm just trying to figure out if this was a decent computer or not, all i needed was a simple yes or a no. Since i'm still in high school i don't make that much money so give me a break will ya ?
Related resources
February 19, 2013 3:11:22 AM

If you think it's that crappy of a laptop then show me a link to a better one at the same price point. Or just give me the full name of a certain laptop and i'll look for it myself.
February 19, 2013 3:24:19 AM

Hi,

I have bought 2 HPs in the past year. To be honest they are built like crap. Since you are not spending that much, get a refurbished one directly. Do not buy from Bestbuy. It will take care of her for years. Dell has a really good deal:

Inspiron 17R-5720
Save $200 on any Dell Outlet Inspiron™ 17R-5720 priced at $635 with coupon* code below!

Was $635.00 Now $435.00
Certified Refurbished
Intel® Core™ 3rd Generation i5-3210M Processor
6GB Memory
1TB Hard Drive
DVD/RW
Integrated Webcam
17.3-inch High-Definition+ (900p) WLED Display With Truelife
Windows 8 Home Edition
Intel® HD Graphics
Intel® Centrino® 2230, 2x2 b/g/n and Bluetooth®
Limited quantities available.

Coupon code:
07HW9PSX5D48L?

All you really need is an I3 however. Look at logicbuy, and the outlets of the major company. Since you are not spending that much, it should be ok if it goes in a couple of years. Standard warranty should be a year. Also you do not need Ivy bridge. Sandy should be fine. AMD processors run hotter (bad in laptop) and less battery life than intels.
February 19, 2013 3:28:18 AM

Here is one at 339

Inspiron 15 - 3521
Processor: Intel Core 2nd Generation i3-2365M Processor (1.4 GHz, 3M Cache)
Genuine Windows 8 Home Edition
Dell Outlet Inspiron 15 - 3521 Laptop
500 GB SATA Hard Drive (5400 RPM)
4GB Single Channel DDR3 1600MHz
8X DVD +/- RW Drive

Click here for available options and upgrades
Price: $339.00
February 19, 2013 3:36:36 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, but i don't know, i have my doubts when it comes to refurbished items, but i will make sure to check them out.
February 19, 2013 3:42:06 AM

Your kind of screwed right now in buying a computer. You have missed all of the key sales and there are no major announcements for new computer design upgrades anytime soon. Refurbished would give you the best bang for your buck. Dell has a "same as new" warranty program and 21 day no questions asked return policy. I think that is your best bet at your price point.

Here is a great article on pros and cons of buying refurbished computers:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2374269,00.asp
February 19, 2013 3:44:47 AM

Avoid HP. My brother recently purchased a Pavilion G6 and I have reformatted it at least 5 times so far. I'm currently using a Compaq desktop (Running flawless for 3 years). All the recently HP products in the last year are crap.

Go for Lenovo or something other than HP. And avoid Best Buy. Shop from Newegg, Amazon, etc. I'll post some laptops after I'm done with work

Certified refurbished dells are a great deal btw! Lenovo and Dell are very great products!
February 19, 2013 3:47:00 AM

Yep agree, HP sucks. I bought a 3 year in-home warranty for mine. Guess what, I have to ship it back for everything. The in-home was bullshit. The fan has been failing from 2 mos since I got it, however I can't send it back because I used my computer 50% of the day. They want it for 10 business days. Probably going to sue on it :)  <--- Law Student.
February 19, 2013 3:49:10 AM

Get her this http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

its about 16 times more powerful than the laptop that you listed (Not insulting you)

This laptop will go on for 5 years + no problems! Even could play Battlefield 3 on low settings if she wanted to lol :p 

For Antivirus get her Avast Free (Or make email accounts and get the paid version free) Even the free Version is better than the Best Buy crap
February 19, 2013 3:54:14 AM

If you're interested, HP posted a 12 billion loss this year

It's very kind of you to get her a laptop considering you're only in High School and not making much enough :) 
February 19, 2013 1:16:57 PM

I don't know about the claims that HP sucks. Honestly, I sell dozens of their BUSINESS desktops and laptops and have not had 1 failure in three years.

If you want a quality laptop, go with a business-class laptop, whether it be from Dell or HP. The actual business-series laptops are built with much higher quality components and have much better warranty support than the consumer lines. I won't sell consumer line laptops anymore as yes, they just don't last as long and aren't as good of quality.

For a business laptop, I recommend the HP ProBook 4540s. You're not going to be spending much more at all for this business grade computer as a similarly specced consumer laptop, but the quality is so much better. You can find a full range of configurations to match your needs and budget, but if the majority of your work is simply accessing online information and some basic multimedia, then you should have no problem with the Core i3 and 4 GB of memory to begin with.

Most configurations of the ProBook 4540s comes standard with a 1 year business class warranty, and can be upgraded to the 3 year warranty as well. If you want something more fancy and more powerful, then you can look into the EliteBook series, which many come standard with the 3 year warranty.
February 19, 2013 1:41:09 PM

choucove said:
I don't know about the claims that HP sucks. Honestly, I sell dozens of their BUSINESS desktops and laptops and have not had 1 failure in three years.

If you want a quality laptop, go with a business-class laptop, whether it be from Dell or HP. The actual business-series laptops are built with much higher quality components and have much better warranty support than the consumer lines. I won't sell consumer line laptops anymore as yes, they just don't last as long and aren't as good of quality.

For a business laptop, I recommend the HP ProBook 4540s. You're not going to be spending much more at all for this business grade computer as a similarly specced consumer laptop, but the quality is so much better. You can find a full range of configurations to match your needs and budget, but if the majority of your work is simply accessing online information and some basic multimedia, then you should have no problem with the Core i3 and 4 GB of memory to begin with.

Most configurations of the ProBook 4540s comes standard with a 1 year business class warranty, and can be upgraded to the 3 year warranty as well. If you want something more fancy and more powerful, then you can look into the EliteBook series, which many come standard with the 3 year warranty.

My school had purchased about 60 17.3" Probook 4530s (Or something similar, can't remember exact name) and even though the IT department messed up the laptops, boot times were around 2-4 minutes (The Hard Drives are pretty much empty) and I was one of the first people to use them at my school.
My brother's HP G6 (i5 with a WD Hard Drive) takes about 2 minutes to boot up (All he does on it is MS Office) and the laptop was just reformatted.
Even my mom's 3 year old acer with a 320g "SLOW" seagate hard drive boots up in about a minute. I have relatives and friends that are managers at HP offices so theres really no bias here from me.
February 19, 2013 3:11:19 PM

In all honesty, the laptop you show will be fine if you are not looking for any frills. It will run anything she needs to use just fine. It is by no means a gaming laptop nor is it high end. But for browsing and business apps it is fine.

HP is not the best nor are they the worst but they tend to be a good value for your intent. Your mom will be very pleased and she'll likely be bragging about her son being a responsible young man.

However I would like to say that buying from Best Buy is not the best way to go. They will offer you a warrantee deal for about $70. If you go to Wal-Mart or Sam's Club you can get the same likely for less and their warrantees sell for about $30 for a 2 year contract. Get it, the laptop will be insured for about everything but theft.

migrax
February 26, 2013 6:08:51 AM

yeah dont get a HP get an ASUS or something aye ;) 
!