BlackBerry Web Client, POP3, and Outlook on the desktop

I am considering buying a BlackBerry 7750 and a BlackBerry Solution
NationalAccess plan from Verizon Wireless. Being an engineer, I have
some questions. :-)

Of the three e-mail options (BlackBerry Web Client, BlackBerry Desktop
Software utilizing desktop redirector, and BlackBerry Enterprise
Server Software) my first instinct is to keep it simple and go with
the BlackBerry Web Client and connect my Blackberry up to my
Comcast.net POP3 mail server. I currently have Microsoft Outlook
configured on my desktop to pull (copy and delete) my e-mails from
Comcast's POP3 server. Will BlackBerry Web Client also pull e-mails
from the Comcast POP3 server? If so, how do I synchronize my e-mails
between my Blackberry and my desktop? If not, does that mean that I
have to delete e-mails twice?

How do other users of Blackberry, POP3 mail servers, and Outlook on
the desktop configure your e-mail? Or is this the question that
pushes people to the BlackBerry Desktop Software utilizing desktop
redirector option? This solution would require mr to configure a
Microsoft Exchange Server which seems a bit extreme since there is
just me.

--Thank you,
--Mike
5 answers Last reply
More about blackberry client pop3 outlook desktop

    I use T-Mobile (cheaper) with Blackberry web client. I have my work email
    system forward a copy of all email to my blackberry acct. so that it is
    instantaneous (more or less). The T-mobile blackberry web client allows you
    to query a number of POP and when on the road I turn on my comcast mail
    which works fine. It queries every 15 mins or so so it is not convenient to
    carry on a "conversation". With the above setup, I do not have to leave my
    office or home computer on to "redirect" mail.

    "Mike58" <n00spam@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I am considering buying a BlackBerry 7750 and a BlackBerry Solution
    > NationalAccess plan from Verizon Wireless. Being an engineer, I have
    > some questions. :-)
    >
    > Of the three e-mail options (BlackBerry Web Client, BlackBerry Desktop
    > Software utilizing desktop redirector, and BlackBerry Enterprise
    > Server Software) my first instinct is to keep it simple and go with
    > the BlackBerry Web Client and connect my Blackberry up to my
    > Comcast.net POP3 mail server. I currently have Microsoft Outlook
    > configured on my desktop to pull (copy and delete) my e-mails from
    > Comcast's POP3 server. Will BlackBerry Web Client also pull e-mails
    > from the Comcast POP3 server? If so, how do I synchronize my e-mails
    > between my Blackberry and my desktop? If not, does that mean that I
    > have to delete e-mails twice?
    >
    > How do other users of Blackberry, POP3 mail servers, and Outlook on
    > the desktop configure your e-mail? Or is this the question that
    > pushes people to the BlackBerry Desktop Software utilizing desktop
    > redirector option? This solution would require mr to configure a
    > Microsoft Exchange Server which seems a bit extreme since there is
    > just me.
    >
    > --Thank you,
    > --Mike

    Not Sure about Web Client but Blackberry Desktop Manager allows you to
    set options so that either the desktop wins or handheld wins. With it
    set to Handheld wins if you delete an email off of the Blackberry it
    will also delete off of the Desktop. Vice versa if set to Desktop
    Wins. You will find this option in the Redirector Setting. Make sure
    Wireless Reconciliation is turned on in Handheld email options.

    On 11 Sep 2004 04:37:33 -0700, n00spam@comcast.net (Mike58) wrote:

    >I am considering buying a BlackBerry 7750 and a BlackBerry Solution
    >NationalAccess plan from Verizon Wireless. Being an engineer, I have
    >some questions. :-)
    >
    >Of the three e-mail options (BlackBerry Web Client, BlackBerry Desktop
    >Software utilizing desktop redirector, and BlackBerry Enterprise
    >Server Software) my first instinct is to keep it simple and go with
    >the BlackBerry Web Client and connect my Blackberry up to my
    >Comcast.net POP3 mail server. I currently have Microsoft Outlook
    >configured on my desktop to pull (copy and delete) my e-mails from
    >Comcast's POP3 server. Will BlackBerry Web Client also pull e-mails
    >from the Comcast POP3 server? If so, how do I synchronize my e-mails
    >between my Blackberry and my desktop? If not, does that mean that I
    >have to delete e-mails twice?
    >
    >How do other users of Blackberry, POP3 mail servers, and Outlook on
    >the desktop configure your e-mail? Or is this the question that
    >pushes people to the BlackBerry Desktop Software utilizing desktop
    >redirector option? This solution would require mr to configure a
    >Microsoft Exchange Server which seems a bit extreme since there is
    >just me.
    >
    >--Thank you,
    >--Mike

    I am using the POP method and it is kind of a pain as I have to delete
    mail twice. Also, I get a lot of messages that say they are for data
    sync and not to delete them - they are almost as anoying as junk mail.
    Is it the same with the redirector?

    "ECL" <a@a.com> wrote in message news:<wbednRI0AKvErN7cRVn-pw@comcast.com>...
    > I use T-Mobile (cheaper) with Blackberry web client. I have my work email
    > system forward a copy of all email to my blackberry acct. so that it is
    > instantaneous (more or less). The T-mobile blackberry web client allows you
    > to query a number of POP and when on the road I turn on my comcast mail
    > which works fine. It queries every 15 mins or so so it is not convenient to
    > carry on a "conversation". With the above setup, I do not have to leave my
    > office or home computer on to "redirect" mail.

    ECL,
    Thank you for your reply. I hadn't considered T-Mobile. I did a
    search on

    http://www.cellphone.homestead.com/

    which is a database of Cell Phone Coverage Gaps by metro area. I then
    did a search on the DC Metro area and the reported gaps are no worse
    than Nextel or Verizon.

    I'll see if a local dealer can give me a trial period so that I can
    test the coverage in my most likely locations and move on from there.

    One question, the 20 cents per minute calling mentioned in the
    T-Mobile Unlimited Internet plan is voice, not data. Correct? Are
    there any other Gotchas that I should be aware of?

    From http://www.t-mobile.com/plans/default.asp?tab=internet
    "The T-Mobile Internet Unlimited plan gives you:

    Instant access to your e-mail

    Ability to browse the Web from any location

    Flexibility in where you work, when you work

    20¢ per minute calling

    300 inbound/outbound text messages; 5¢ each additional message

    Plan name: T-Mobile Unlimited Internet

    Price (per month): $29.99

    Internet (GPRS): Unlimited

    MyEmail: Unlimited"

    --Thank you again,
    --Mike

    > "Mike58" <n00spam@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > I am considering buying a BlackBerry 7750 and a BlackBerry Solution
    > > NationalAccess plan from Verizon Wireless. Being an engineer, I have
    > > some questions. :-)
    > >
    > > Of the three e-mail options (BlackBerry Web Client, BlackBerry Desktop
    > > Software utilizing desktop redirector, and BlackBerry Enterprise
    > > Server Software) my first instinct is to keep it simple and go with
    > > the BlackBerry Web Client and connect my Blackberry up to my
    > > Comcast.net POP3 mail server. I currently have Microsoft Outlook
    > > configured on my desktop to pull (copy and delete) my e-mails from
    > > Comcast's POP3 server. Will BlackBerry Web Client also pull e-mails
    > > from the Comcast POP3 server? If so, how do I synchronize my e-mails
    > > between my Blackberry and my desktop? If not, does that mean that I
    > > have to delete e-mails twice?
    > >
    > > How do other users of Blackberry, POP3 mail servers, and Outlook on
    > > the desktop configure your e-mail? Or is this the question that
    > > pushes people to the BlackBerry Desktop Software utilizing desktop
    > > redirector option? This solution would require mr to configure a
    > > Microsoft Exchange Server which seems a bit extreme since there is
    > > just me.
    > >
    > > --Thank you,
    > > --Mike

    I have a verizon phone that I carry due to the better service (at least >2
    yrs ago when I signed up). I purchased the TMobile blackberry due to price
    for the device and service (Amazon is running amazing deals). Given the
    greatly improved TMobile service, when my verizon contract lapses, I will
    likely switch voice to TMo as well.

    I have the 39.95 unlimited data plan with 0.20 per minute voice. I don't
    use it for voice but the option is good. I actually use the voicemail
    system in pager mode which has replaced my pager. TMobile has 2 plans.
    39.95 unlimited data with 0.20 cent voice or 29.95 unlimited data when added
    to any voice plan (starting at 19.95).

    I live and work in the Princeton-New Brunswick, NJ corridor and service on
    TMO is fine. I travel frequently to DC and it is great there. If you leave
    metropolitan areas, it may be a problem although this year I even had
    service (Cingular network) at the No. Carolina shore.

    TMo GSM blackberrys as well as ATT and Cingular are trimode phones and roam
    in Europe etc. which is an added plus.

> [...]
    > > > Server Software) my first instinct is to keep it simple and go with
    > > > the BlackBerry Web Client and connect my Blackberry up to my
    > > > Comcast.net POP3 mail server. I currently have Microsoft Outlook
    > > > configured on my desktop to pull (copy and delete) my e-mails from
    > > > Comcast's POP3 server. Will BlackBerry Web Client also pull e-mails
    > > > from the Comcast POP3 server? If so, how do I synchronize my e-mails
    > > > between my Blackberry and my desktop? If not, does that mean that I
    > > > have to delete e-mails twice?
    > > >
    > > > How do other users of Blackberry, POP3 mail servers, and Outlook on
    > > > the desktop configure your e-mail? Or is this the question that
    > > > pushes people to the BlackBerry Desktop Software utilizing desktop
    > > > redirector option? This solution would require mr to configure a
    > > > Microsoft Exchange Server which seems a bit extreme since there is

Verizon POP3 Desktops BlackBerry Servers Internet Service Providers