BlackBerry Web Client, POP3, and Outlook on the desktop

Last response: in Network Providers
September 11, 2004 8:37:33 AM

I am considering buying a BlackBerry 7750 and a BlackBerry Solution
NationalAccess plan from Verizon Wireless. Being an engineer, I have
some questions. :-)

Of the three e-mail options (BlackBerry Web Client, BlackBerry Desktop
Software utilizing desktop redirector, and BlackBerry Enterprise
Server Software) my first instinct is to keep it simple and go with
the BlackBerry Web Client and connect my Blackberry up to my
Comcast.net POP3 mail server. I currently have Microsoft Outlook
configured on my desktop to pull (copy and delete) my e-mails from
Comcast's POP3 server. Will BlackBerry Web Client also pull e-mails
from the Comcast POP3 server? If so, how do I synchronize my e-mails
between my Blackberry and my desktop? If not, does that mean that I
have to delete e-mails twice?

How do other users of Blackberry, POP3 mail servers, and Outlook on
the desktop configure your e-mail? Or is this the question that
pushes people to the BlackBerry Desktop Software utilizing desktop
redirector option? This solution would require mr to configure a
Microsoft Exchange Server which seems a bit extreme since there is
just me.

--Thank you,
--Mike
Anonymous
September 11, 2004 5:09:41 PM

I use T-Mobile (cheaper) with Blackberry web client. I have my work email
system forward a copy of all email to my blackberry acct. so that it is
instantaneous (more or less). The T-mobile blackberry web client allows you
to query a number of POP and when on the road I turn on my comcast mail
which works fine. It queries every 15 mins or so so it is not convenient to
carry on a "conversation". With the above setup, I do not have to leave my
office or home computer on to "redirect" mail.

"Mike58" <n00spam@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I am considering buying a BlackBerry 7750 and a BlackBerry Solution
> NationalAccess plan from Verizon Wireless. Being an engineer, I have
> some questions. :-)
>
> Of the three e-mail options (BlackBerry Web Client, BlackBerry Desktop
> Software utilizing desktop redirector, and BlackBerry Enterprise
> Server Software) my first instinct is to keep it simple and go with
> the BlackBerry Web Client and connect my Blackberry up to my
> Comcast.net POP3 mail server. I currently have Microsoft Outlook
> configured on my desktop to pull (copy and delete) my e-mails from
> Comcast's POP3 server. Will BlackBerry Web Client also pull e-mails
> from the Comcast POP3 server? If so, how do I synchronize my e-mails
> between my Blackberry and my desktop? If not, does that mean that I
> have to delete e-mails twice?
>
> How do other users of Blackberry, POP3 mail servers, and Outlook on
> the desktop configure your e-mail? Or is this the question that
> pushes people to the BlackBerry Desktop Software utilizing desktop
> redirector option? This solution would require mr to configure a
> Microsoft Exchange Server which seems a bit extreme since there is
> just me.
>
> --Thank you,
> --Mike
Anonymous
September 11, 2004 9:46:05 PM

Not Sure about Web Client but Blackberry Desktop Manager allows you to
set options so that either the desktop wins or handheld wins. With it
set to Handheld wins if you delete an email off of the Blackberry it
will also delete off of the Desktop. Vice versa if set to Desktop
Wins. You will find this option in the Redirector Setting. Make sure
Wireless Reconciliation is turned on in Handheld email options.

On 11 Sep 2004 04:37:33 -0700, n00spam@comcast.net (Mike58) wrote:

>I am considering buying a BlackBerry 7750 and a BlackBerry Solution
>NationalAccess plan from Verizon Wireless. Being an engineer, I have
>some questions. :-)
>
>Of the three e-mail options (BlackBerry Web Client, BlackBerry Desktop
>Software utilizing desktop redirector, and BlackBerry Enterprise
>Server Software) my first instinct is to keep it simple and go with
>the BlackBerry Web Client and connect my Blackberry up to my
>Comcast.net POP3 mail server. I currently have Microsoft Outlook
>configured on my desktop to pull (copy and delete) my e-mails from
>Comcast's POP3 server. Will BlackBerry Web Client also pull e-mails
>from the Comcast POP3 server? If so, how do I synchronize my e-mails
>between my Blackberry and my desktop? If not, does that mean that I
>have to delete e-mails twice?
>
>How do other users of Blackberry, POP3 mail servers, and Outlook on
>the desktop configure your e-mail? Or is this the question that
>pushes people to the BlackBerry Desktop Software utilizing desktop
>redirector option? This solution would require mr to configure a
>Microsoft Exchange Server which seems a bit extreme since there is
>just me.
>
>--Thank you,
>--Mike
Related resources
September 12, 2004 12:51:13 AM

I am using the POP method and it is kind of a pain as I have to delete
mail twice. Also, I get a lot of messages that say they are for data
sync and not to delete them - they are almost as anoying as junk mail.
Is it the same with the redirector?

Johnny Dangerously <Johnny Dangerously> wrote in message news:<55s6k0hof80tm297kncrcga388cq18m97u@4ax.com>...
> Not Sure about Web Client but Blackberry Desktop Manager allows you to
> set options so that either the desktop wins or handheld wins. With it
> set to Handheld wins if you delete an email off of the Blackberry it
> will also delete off of the Desktop. Vice versa if set to Desktop
> Wins. You will find this option in the Redirector Setting. Make sure
> Wireless Reconciliation is turned on in Handheld email options.
>

> On 11 Sep 2004 04:37:33 -0700, n00spam@comcast.net (Mike58) wrote:
>
> >I am considering buying a BlackBerry 7750 and a BlackBerry Solution
> >NationalAccess plan from Verizon Wireless. Being an engineer, I have
> >some questions. :-)
> >
> >Of the three e-mail options (BlackBerry Web Client, BlackBerry Desktop
> >Software utilizing desktop redirector, and BlackBerry Enterprise
> >Server Software) my first instinct is to keep it simple and go with
> >the BlackBerry Web Client and connect my Blackberry up to my
> >Comcast.net POP3 mail server. I currently have Microsoft Outlook
> >configured on my desktop to pull (copy and delete) my e-mails from
> >Comcast's POP3 server. Will BlackBerry Web Client also pull e-mails
> >from the Comcast POP3 server? If so, how do I synchronize my e-mails
> >between my Blackberry and my desktop? If not, does that mean that I
> >have to delete e-mails twice?
> >
> >How do other users of Blackberry, POP3 mail servers, and Outlook on
> >the desktop configure your e-mail? Or is this the question that
> >pushes people to the BlackBerry Desktop Software utilizing desktop
> >redirector option? This solution would require mr to configure a
> >Microsoft Exchange Server which seems a bit extreme since there is
> >just me.
> >
> >--Thank you,
> >--Mike
Anonymous
September 12, 2004 10:16:44 AM

"ECL" <a@a.com> wrote in message news:<wbednRI0AKvErN7cRVn-pw@comcast.com>...
> I use T-Mobile (cheaper) with Blackberry web client. I have my work email
> system forward a copy of all email to my blackberry acct. so that it is
> instantaneous (more or less). The T-mobile blackberry web client allows you
> to query a number of POP and when on the road I turn on my comcast mail
> which works fine. It queries every 15 mins or so so it is not convenient to
> carry on a "conversation". With the above setup, I do not have to leave my
> office or home computer on to "redirect" mail.

ECL,
Thank you for your reply. I hadn't considered T-Mobile. I did a
search on

http://www.cellphone.homestead.com/

which is a database of Cell Phone Coverage Gaps by metro area. I then
did a search on the DC Metro area and the reported gaps are no worse
than Nextel or Verizon.

I'll see if a local dealer can give me a trial period so that I can
test the coverage in my most likely locations and move on from there.

One question, the 20 cents per minute calling mentioned in the
T-Mobile Unlimited Internet plan is voice, not data. Correct? Are
there any other Gotchas that I should be aware of?

From http://www.t-mobile.com/plans/default.asp?tab=internet
"The T-Mobile Internet Unlimited plan gives you:

Instant access to your e-mail

Ability to browse the Web from any location

Flexibility in where you work, when you work

20¢ per minute calling

300 inbound/outbound text messages; 5¢ each additional message

Plan name: T-Mobile Unlimited Internet

Price (per month): $29.99

Internet (GPRS): Unlimited

MyEmail: Unlimited"

--Thank you again,
--Mike

> "Mike58" <n00spam@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > I am considering buying a BlackBerry 7750 and a BlackBerry Solution
> > NationalAccess plan from Verizon Wireless. Being an engineer, I have
> > some questions. :-)
> >
> > Of the three e-mail options (BlackBerry Web Client, BlackBerry Desktop
> > Software utilizing desktop redirector, and BlackBerry Enterprise
> > Server Software) my first instinct is to keep it simple and go with
> > the BlackBerry Web Client and connect my Blackberry up to my
> > Comcast.net POP3 mail server. I currently have Microsoft Outlook
> > configured on my desktop to pull (copy and delete) my e-mails from
> > Comcast's POP3 server. Will BlackBerry Web Client also pull e-mails
> > from the Comcast POP3 server? If so, how do I synchronize my e-mails
> > between my Blackberry and my desktop? If not, does that mean that I
> > have to delete e-mails twice?
> >
> > How do other users of Blackberry, POP3 mail servers, and Outlook on
> > the desktop configure your e-mail? Or is this the question that
> > pushes people to the BlackBerry Desktop Software utilizing desktop
> > redirector option? This solution would require mr to configure a
> > Microsoft Exchange Server which seems a bit extreme since there is
> > just me.
> >
> > --Thank you,
> > --Mike
Anonymous
September 12, 2004 3:38:01 PM

I have a verizon phone that I carry due to the better service (at least >2
yrs ago when I signed up). I purchased the TMobile blackberry due to price
for the device and service (Amazon is running amazing deals). Given the
greatly improved TMobile service, when my verizon contract lapses, I will
likely switch voice to TMo as well.

I have the 39.95 unlimited data plan with 0.20 per minute voice. I don't
use it for voice but the option is good. I actually use the voicemail
system in pager mode which has replaced my pager. TMobile has 2 plans.
39.95 unlimited data with 0.20 cent voice or 29.95 unlimited data when added
to any voice plan (starting at 19.95).

I live and work in the Princeton-New Brunswick, NJ corridor and service on
TMO is fine. I travel frequently to DC and it is great there. If you leave
metropolitan areas, it may be a problem although this year I even had
service (Cingular network) at the No. Carolina shore.

TMo GSM blackberrys as well as ATT and Cingular are trimode phones and roam
in Europe etc. which is an added plus.

!