Wireless USB port?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
November 6, 2004 6:21:44 PM

Is there any such thing as a wireless USB port? I need to hook up a USB
device (a webcam pointed at a fishtank) that is a hundred feet from the
computer and router. What would be a good way to do this?

More about : wireless usb port

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 6, 2004 8:52:16 PM

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 15:21:44 -0800, "Ook" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>Is there any such thing as a wireless USB port?

http://www.wirelessusb.org
http://store.aircable.net/index.html
http://www.intel.com/technology/ultrawideband/

Also try the USB product search at:
http://www.usb.org/app/search/products/

>I need to hook up a USB
>device (a webcam pointed at a fishtank) that is a hundred feet from the
>computer and router. What would be a good way to do this?

Optical:
http://usbstuff.com/longcable.html

Active:
http://www.usbgear.com/USB2_extension_Cable/usb-extensi...

There are others...

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 6, 2004 9:57:39 PM

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 15:21:44 -0800, Ook spoketh

>Is there any such thing as a wireless USB port? I need to hook up a USB
>device (a webcam pointed at a fishtank) that is a hundred feet from the
>computer and router. What would be a good way to do this?

There is no good way of doing this. The camera needs to be connected to
a computer to work, so unless you have a laptop handy, that camera isn't
going to get the job done. There are wireless 802.11b cameras available
that might be a better solution...

Lars M. Hansen
http://www.hansenonline.net
a b F Wireless
November 7, 2004 1:52:06 PM

There's probably much better ways, but you could pick up a cheap TV tuner
card (I got one at Aldi for $69), then use a transmitting camera, or a video
sender, and connect the receiver into the TV in card.

Adam

"Ook" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Is there any such thing as a wireless USB port? I need to hook up a USB
> device (a webcam pointed at a fishtank) that is a hundred feet from the
> computer and router. What would be a good way to do this?

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 7, 2004 1:52:07 PM

The camera might be an issue - I have two webcams, but I don't have $$ to
get another camera, I was hoping there was some way to use the USB camera :(

!