Help - cell as modem works on desktop but not laptop???

Last response: in Network Providers
September 11, 2004 10:05:58 PM

Cell Phones - LG 6000 and LG 4400B
Carrier - Verizon - Americas Family Choice Plan
Cables - From Datapilot org.
Software - DataPilot. Also, installed modem manually.
Desktop - Home Made - Pentium 4, USB 2.0, etc, Windows XP. Latest
Cable Drivers
Latop - Dell C600, USB 1.1 built in, USB 2.0 PCMCIA Card, Windows XP,
Latest Cable Drivers
Cell Phone Port set to RS-232

The cell phones connects and dials in fine on the desktop.

But, I receive the hardware failure for modem (Err 692) when I try
from the laptop. When you try and Query Modem, it says Modem not
responding.

All other Data Pilot functions work find on the laptop.

I have used built in 1.1 USB and 2.0 USB Card ports. Same problem.

I have disabled ActiveSync, same problem.

Just curious if anyone has run into the same problem or has any
advise?

Thanks in advance,
CCD1006
Anonymous
September 11, 2004 10:05:59 PM

"CCD" <ccd1006.remove@antispam.cox.net> wrote in message
> Cell Phones - LG 6000 and LG 4400B
> Carrier - Verizon - Americas Family Choice Plan
> Cables - From Datapilot org.
> Software - DataPilot. Also, installed modem manually.
> Desktop - Home Made - Pentium 4, USB 2.0, etc, Windows XP. Latest
> Cable Drivers
> Latop - Dell C600, USB 1.1 built in, USB 2.0 PCMCIA Card, Windows XP,
> Latest Cable Drivers
> Cell Phone Port set to RS-232
>
> The cell phones connects and dials in fine on the desktop.
>
> But, I receive the hardware failure for modem (Err 692) when I try
> from the laptop. When you try and Query Modem, it says Modem not
> responding.
>
> All other Data Pilot functions work find on the laptop.
>
> I have used built in 1.1 USB and 2.0 USB Card ports. Same problem.
>
> I have disabled ActiveSync, same problem.
>
> Just curious if anyone has run into the same problem or has any
> advise?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> CCD1006

I'm surprised it works on the desktop..

From your list above, > Desktop - Home Made - Pentium 4, USB 2.0, etc,
Windows XP. Latest
> Cable Drivers
> Latop - Dell C600, USB 1.1 built in, USB 2.0 PCMCIA Card, Windows XP,
> Latest Cable Drivers
> Cell Phone Port set to RS-232

you have both the desktop and laptop set as USB, but the phone to COM!

If not exactly that, and what you typed was just a typo, look at the max
speeeds USB 1.1 is about 115Kb, and USB 2.0 is about 230Kb.. Phones usually
default to USB and port speed 230Kb. Sounds like your laptop (with 1.1 or 2
has to handle the lower speed) and is probably set to a lower speed than
your phone. and having one built in and a faster one as a PCMCIA card could
be a problem. Don't forget a laptop usually has a touchpad and a built in
modem, bumping your com ports used up by two.
There is software available (for free) that converts USB ports to com (ever
see a serial and/or USB mouse? the optional software in the driver converts
USB to COM so the software can find it either way)
September 12, 2004 11:44:49 AM

One thing I have to be certain of
is that my USB to serial port under
"device manger etc." is always the same
as that which shows under "modems."
When the USB cable is inserted it may
bring up a different port and won't work.
Luck!!
September 12, 2004 11:51:08 AM

Sorry, I should have clarified what type of cable data pilot supplies.
Its a USB to Serial (has a little rectangular bump in the middle)
cable. When the cable is setup, there is a "Susteen Virtual Com Port"
using COM 5 under Ports (Com and LPT) and Susteen Mobile Modem under
Modems in Device Manager.

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 16:18:01 -0700, "Peter Pan"
<Marcs1102@Hotmail.com> wrote:

>"CCD" <ccd1006.remove@antispam.cox.net> wrote in message
>> Cell Phones - LG 6000 and LG 4400B
>> Carrier - Verizon - Americas Family Choice Plan
>> Cables - From Datapilot org.
>> Software - DataPilot. Also, installed modem manually.
>> Desktop - Home Made - Pentium 4, USB 2.0, etc, Windows XP. Latest
>> Cable Drivers
>> Latop - Dell C600, USB 1.1 built in, USB 2.0 PCMCIA Card, Windows XP,
>> Latest Cable Drivers
>> Cell Phone Port set to RS-232
>>
>> The cell phones connects and dials in fine on the desktop.
>>
>> But, I receive the hardware failure for modem (Err 692) when I try
>> from the laptop. When you try and Query Modem, it says Modem not
>> responding.
>>
>> All other Data Pilot functions work find on the laptop.
>>
>> I have used built in 1.1 USB and 2.0 USB Card ports. Same problem.
>>
>> I have disabled ActiveSync, same problem.
>>
>> Just curious if anyone has run into the same problem or has any
>> advise?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> CCD1006
>
>I'm surprised it works on the desktop..
>
>From your list above, > Desktop - Home Made - Pentium 4, USB 2.0, etc,
>Windows XP. Latest
>> Cable Drivers
>> Latop - Dell C600, USB 1.1 built in, USB 2.0 PCMCIA Card, Windows XP,
>> Latest Cable Drivers
>> Cell Phone Port set to RS-232
>>
>you have both the desktop and laptop set as USB, but the phone to COM!
>
>If not exactly that, and what you typed was just a typo, look at the max
>speeeds USB 1.1 is about 115Kb, and USB 2.0 is about 230Kb.. Phones usually
>default to USB and port speed 230Kb. Sounds like your laptop (with 1.1 or 2
>has to handle the lower speed) and is probably set to a lower speed than
>your phone. and having one built in and a faster one as a PCMCIA card could
>be a problem. Don't forget a laptop usually has a touchpad and a built in
>modem, bumping your com ports used up by two.
>There is software available (for free) that converts USB ports to com (ever
>see a serial and/or USB mouse? the optional software in the driver converts
>USB to COM so the software can find it either way)

Anonymous
September 12, 2004 3:33:16 PM

That's make it even harder to figure out. Some USB to serial cables (with
the square lump) can work at full USB speed, and some can only work at
serial speed.

I'd first look at your laptop and com ports. Why do you have both the built
in port, AND the PCMCIA card? The built in USB port (a 1.1) will always be
a com port (running at 115k), but then you have the PCMCIA card that will
also emulate a com port, but on the fly, and only available when the card is
actually inserted.

Just out of curiosity, when you installed the software, did it ask which com
port to use? was the PCMCIA card inserted at install time? What happens when
you install the software on the laptop and all it sees is the lower speed
1.1 USB port

Again, I'm just guessing here, but i'd look at trying to remove the software
(both for the PCMCIA card AND the laptop software that uses the com port),
and then try reinstalling again with ONLY the internal USB 1.1/2.0 port, and
not having the PCMCIA software (adding in a removable 2nd USB port is adding
a whole nother level of complexity and problems to things) in the mix at
all.

It should probably work with JUST the built in port, but the extra software
for the removable card (PCMCIA) adds a whole bunch of extra variables to
things.

One of the things I've learned in a lot of years of computer repair is that
99.999% of the problems are usually caused by the interaction of something
else.
First shot is always to simplify things and get rid of the extra stuff. I'd
say try removing it.

When working with anything com or USB oriented, there is usually a USB to
COM converter (software) that has to be installed first (or a com5 etc to
com 1 to 4), and is loaded when windows starts. If your PCMCIA card wasn't
installed and active at the time you installed the communications software,
it won't even know it exists. As far as technical goes, there are only real
com1 to com4 real ports, anything else (like com5, or USB 1 to 7 etc) are
virtual and mapped onto an an existing com1 to com4 port.

You may see software using a "virtual com5 port", but there is no com5 in
actuality, soething is making com5 be com1 to com4 at use time.

> Sorry, I should have clarified what type of cable data pilot supplies.
> Its a USB to Serial (has a little rectangular bump in the middle)
> cable. When the cable is setup, there is a "Susteen Virtual Com Port"
> using COM 5 under Ports (Com and LPT) and Susteen Mobile Modem under
> Modems in Device Manager.
>
> On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 16:18:01 -0700, "Peter Pan"
> <Marcs1102@Hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> >"CCD" <ccd1006.remove@antispam.cox.net> wrote in message
> >> Cell Phones - LG 6000 and LG 4400B
> >> Carrier - Verizon - Americas Family Choice Plan
> >> Cables - From Datapilot org.
> >> Software - DataPilot. Also, installed modem manually.
> >> Desktop - Home Made - Pentium 4, USB 2.0, etc, Windows XP. Latest
> >> Cable Drivers
> >> Latop - Dell C600, USB 1.1 built in, USB 2.0 PCMCIA Card, Windows XP,
> >> Latest Cable Drivers
> >> Cell Phone Port set to RS-232
> >>
> >> The cell phones connects and dials in fine on the desktop.
> >>
> >> But, I receive the hardware failure for modem (Err 692) when I try
> >> from the laptop. When you try and Query Modem, it says Modem not
> >> responding.
> >>
> >> All other Data Pilot functions work find on the laptop.
> >>
> >> I have used built in 1.1 USB and 2.0 USB Card ports. Same problem.
> >>
> >> I have disabled ActiveSync, same problem.
> >>
> >> Just curious if anyone has run into the same problem or has any
> >> advise?
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance,
> >> CCD1006
> >
> >I'm surprised it works on the desktop..
> >
> >From your list above, > Desktop - Home Made - Pentium 4, USB 2.0, etc,
> >Windows XP. Latest
> >> Cable Drivers
> >> Latop - Dell C600, USB 1.1 built in, USB 2.0 PCMCIA Card, Windows XP,
> >> Latest Cable Drivers
> >> Cell Phone Port set to RS-232
> >>
> >you have both the desktop and laptop set as USB, but the phone to COM!
> >
> >If not exactly that, and what you typed was just a typo, look at the max
> >speeeds USB 1.1 is about 115Kb, and USB 2.0 is about 230Kb.. Phones
usually
> >default to USB and port speed 230Kb. Sounds like your laptop (with 1.1 or
2
> >has to handle the lower speed) and is probably set to a lower speed than
> >your phone. and having one built in and a faster one as a PCMCIA card
could
> >be a problem. Don't forget a laptop usually has a touchpad and a built in
> >modem, bumping your com ports used up by two.
> >There is software available (for free) that converts USB ports to com
(ever
> >see a serial and/or USB mouse? the optional software in the driver
converts
> >USB to COM so the software can find it either way)

Anonymous
September 18, 2004 1:26:28 PM

Well, I was able to go further. If I set the Susteen Virtual Com Port
to Com 1 or 2 (while disabling other devices that might use the
ports), I was able to perform the modem query successfully. But,
when I tried to call the modem did not respond. Oh well, guess it
isn't meant to be....

CCD

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 07:51:08 -0400, CCD
<ccd1006.remove@antispam.cox.net> wrote:

>Sorry, I should have clarified what type of cable data pilot supplies.
>Its a USB to Serial (has a little rectangular bump in the middle)
>cable. When the cable is setup, there is a "Susteen Virtual Com Port"
>using COM 5 under Ports (Com and LPT) and Susteen Mobile Modem under
>Modems in Device Manager.
>
>On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 16:18:01 -0700, "Peter Pan"
><Marcs1102@Hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>"CCD" <ccd1006.remove@antispam.cox.net> wrote in message
>>> Cell Phones - LG 6000 and LG 4400B
>>> Carrier - Verizon - Americas Family Choice Plan
>>> Cables - From Datapilot org.
>>> Software - DataPilot. Also, installed modem manually.
>>> Desktop - Home Made - Pentium 4, USB 2.0, etc, Windows XP. Latest
>>> Cable Drivers
>>> Latop - Dell C600, USB 1.1 built in, USB 2.0 PCMCIA Card, Windows XP,
>>> Latest Cable Drivers
>>> Cell Phone Port set to RS-232
>>>
>>> The cell phones connects and dials in fine on the desktop.
>>>
>>> But, I receive the hardware failure for modem (Err 692) when I try
>>> from the laptop. When you try and Query Modem, it says Modem not
>>> responding.
>>>
>>> All other Data Pilot functions work find on the laptop.
>>>
>>> I have used built in 1.1 USB and 2.0 USB Card ports. Same problem.
>>>
>>> I have disabled ActiveSync, same problem.
>>>
>>> Just curious if anyone has run into the same problem or has any
>>> advise?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>> CCD1006
>>
>>I'm surprised it works on the desktop..
>>
>>From your list above, > Desktop - Home Made - Pentium 4, USB 2.0, etc,
>>Windows XP. Latest
>>> Cable Drivers
>>> Latop - Dell C600, USB 1.1 built in, USB 2.0 PCMCIA Card, Windows XP,
>>> Latest Cable Drivers
>>> Cell Phone Port set to RS-232
>>>
>>you have both the desktop and laptop set as USB, but the phone to COM!
>>
>>If not exactly that, and what you typed was just a typo, look at the max
>>speeeds USB 1.1 is about 115Kb, and USB 2.0 is about 230Kb.. Phones usually
>>default to USB and port speed 230Kb. Sounds like your laptop (with 1.1 or 2
>>has to handle the lower speed) and is probably set to a lower speed than
>>your phone. and having one built in and a faster one as a PCMCIA card could
>>be a problem. Don't forget a laptop usually has a touchpad and a built in
>>modem, bumping your com ports used up by two.
>>There is software available (for free) that converts USB ports to com (ever
>>see a serial and/or USB mouse? the optional software in the driver converts
>>USB to COM so the software can find it either way)

Anonymous
September 18, 2004 2:10:30 PM

Even stranger.. On this website
http://www.malcomwireless.com/wireless/store/accessoryt...
it shows TWO different models/part numbers DP200-113 for the 4400 and
DP200-124 for the 6000. From the notes on BOTH, they say it will take a
phones USB and convert it to serial if needed.. The phone itself should not
be set to rs-232.

Seems even wierder that you would set a phone to serial instead of leaving
it as USB and then convert it back to USB for use on the computers...

I wonder why you have the phones set to serial? (rs-232) at all?

Logically I would think a USB phone connection going via cable to USB port
on the computer... Why did you change the phone to rs-232? Have you put the
phone back to USB and tried it?

Just an aside, I did that once when I was playing around (set my phone to
serial rather than leave it as the default USB) and quick2net still worked,
but the high speed express (now na) stopped working. I had a phone (Kyocera
2035a, and a laptop that only had a serial port, and the location I was in,
Columbia SC went from low speed to high speed) I ended up getting a usb
cable (rather than the serial I had when only using low speed), changing the
phone back to USB, and all was well. Best I could figger was the USB was too
fast for serial(rs-232) so it didn't send the info.

I still think it has something to do with changing the phone to serial
(rs-232) instead of leaving it as USB.

Have you ever tried setting the phone back to the factory setting USB?

> Well, I was able to go further. If I set the Susteen Virtual Com Port
> to Com 1 or 2 (while disabling other devices that might use the
> ports), I was able to perform the modem query successfully. But,
> when I tried to call the modem did not respond. Oh well, guess it
> isn't meant to be....
>
> CCD
>
> On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 07:51:08 -0400, CCD
> <ccd1006.remove@antispam.cox.net> wrote:
>
> >Sorry, I should have clarified what type of cable data pilot supplies.
> >Its a USB to Serial (has a little rectangular bump in the middle)
> >cable. When the cable is setup, there is a "Susteen Virtual Com Port"
> >using COM 5 under Ports (Com and LPT) and Susteen Mobile Modem under
> >Modems in Device Manager.
> >
> >On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 16:18:01 -0700, "Peter Pan"
> ><Marcs1102@Hotmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >>"CCD" <ccd1006.remove@antispam.cox.net> wrote in message

> >>I'm surprised it works on the desktop..
> >>
> >>From your list above, > Desktop - Home Made - Pentium 4, USB 2.0, etc,
> >>Windows XP. Latest
> >>>
> >>you have both the desktop and laptop set as USB, but the phone to COM!
> >>
> >>If not exactly that, and what you typed was just a typo, look at the
max
> >>speeeds USB 1.1 is about 115Kb, and USB 2.0 is about 230Kb.. Phones
usually
> >>default to USB and port speed 230Kb. Sounds like your laptop (with 1.1
or 2
> >>has to handle the lower speed) and is probably set to a lower speed than
> >>your phone. and having one built in and a faster one as a PCMCIA card
could
> >>be a problem. Don't forget a laptop usually has a touchpad and a built
in
> >>modem, bumping your com ports used up by two.
> >>There is software available (for free) that converts USB ports to com
(ever
> >>see a serial and/or USB mouse? the optional software in the driver
converts
> >>USB to COM so the software can find it either way)

Anonymous
September 25, 2004 10:35:44 AM

Yes, I have tried USB setting. I should have noted that.

Per futurdial, USB for synching stuff and RS-232 for Modem
functions...

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 10:10:30 -0700, "Peter Pan"
<Marcs1102@Hotmail.com> wrote:

>Even stranger.. On this website
>http://www.malcomwireless.com/wireless/store/accessoryt...
>it shows TWO different models/part numbers DP200-113 for the 4400 and
>DP200-124 for the 6000. From the notes on BOTH, they say it will take a
>phones USB and convert it to serial if needed.. The phone itself should not
>be set to rs-232.
>
>Seems even wierder that you would set a phone to serial instead of leaving
>it as USB and then convert it back to USB for use on the computers...
>
>I wonder why you have the phones set to serial? (rs-232) at all?
>
>Logically I would think a USB phone connection going via cable to USB port
>on the computer... Why did you change the phone to rs-232? Have you put the
>phone back to USB and tried it?
>
>Just an aside, I did that once when I was playing around (set my phone to
>serial rather than leave it as the default USB) and quick2net still worked,
>but the high speed express (now na) stopped working. I had a phone (Kyocera
>2035a, and a laptop that only had a serial port, and the location I was in,
>Columbia SC went from low speed to high speed) I ended up getting a usb
>cable (rather than the serial I had when only using low speed), changing the
>phone back to USB, and all was well. Best I could figger was the USB was too
>fast for serial(rs-232) so it didn't send the info.
>
>I still think it has something to do with changing the phone to serial
>(rs-232) instead of leaving it as USB.
>
>Have you ever tried setting the phone back to the factory setting USB?
>

>"CCD" <ccd1006.remove@antispam.cox.net> wrote in message
>> Well, I was able to go further. If I set the Susteen Virtual Com Port
>> to Com 1 or 2 (while disabling other devices that might use the
>> ports), I was able to perform the modem query successfully. But,
>> when I tried to call the modem did not respond. Oh well, guess it
>> isn't meant to be....
>>
>> CCD
>>
>> On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 07:51:08 -0400, CCD
>> <ccd1006.remove@antispam.cox.net> wrote:
>>
>> >Sorry, I should have clarified what type of cable data pilot supplies.
>> >Its a USB to Serial (has a little rectangular bump in the middle)
>> >cable. When the cable is setup, there is a "Susteen Virtual Com Port"
>> >using COM 5 under Ports (Com and LPT) and Susteen Mobile Modem under
>> >Modems in Device Manager.

>max
>usually
>or 2
>could
>in
>(ever
>converts

Anonymous
September 25, 2004 10:48:42 AM

Maybe that's why.. I have a futuredial cable and leave it on USB and it
works fine.. course I never read the manual.... :)

news:p eial05r9j9tu20h7072aj3h2h1acpabsu@4ax.com...

!