BSOD after new hardware

mobrien650

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
This last weekend I decided to upgrade the video card and mobo in my system. My new specs are:

BIOSTAR TP45e combo motherboard
Intel Q6600 Quad Core Processor (listed as supported by the motherboard on its manufacturers site)
4GB HYNIX DDR2 667 RAM (x2 DIMM) (listed as supported by the motherboard on its manufacturers site)
Nvidia Geforce GT 240
Linksys WMP54GR Wireless card
750 GB WD Hard drive

I have been trying to reinstall Windows 7 x64 on the system. However I get a lot of different problems with this.

Sometimes I put the Windows 7 CD in and it blue screens while trying to "Start Windows" from the install CD before I get to the actual installer. Modifying certain BIOS settings can get me past this.... sometimes. But it seems randomly changing a setting is what I have to do. It feels like there is no rhyme or reason to what settings I change. It wont work, Ill enable some setting (mainly been working around ACPI BIOS settings as that was giving me the most luck at first), and it will work, but the next time I will have to disable it to make the CD boot.

Once I get past that, the installer background picture shows up, and the mouse point, but no window to actually run the install.

On the occasions I get past that (seems to be random if it does it or not) I can start the install (after I delete all the partitions on the hard drive) and it seems to finish installing fine now (when I first tried this sunday it would stop expanding files or randomly freeze but seems to have gotten over whatever issue that was).

Next if the install completes I can usually boot into it once, and let it finish its setup. Although I have had trouble here where I get a BSOD when Windows starts to load occasionally (again modifying the BIOS settings fixes this). Once its up I can install my mobo and video card drivers no problem.

After the restart from those I can get back into Windows usually, even if it requires BIOS settings changes (I dont play with too many when I reboot, generally just change a ACPI setting, or tell the BIOS to load default settings).

Once I manage to fight my way to Windows 7 installed, if I begin to run updates, I can get them downloaded but once I start to install them either I get a BSOD during it (90% of the time) or the system just locks up and then BSODs (10% of the time).

At this point I keep trying to get updates to install (over a hard wired connection since the wireless card drives are not on the system yet, if the wireless card is in the box) but never have any luck.

I can get Windows 7 x32 installed if I disable almost all of the ACPI settings, and thought it was usable last night for a bit. Got most of the software on it I needed (antivirus, antimalwaure, ect) but after about an hour it BSOD'd with an error talking something about win2k.sys. I even was able to run all the Windows updates without issue.

I have tried it with one of the two sticks of ram only, run a memtest, tried a different video card, removed the wireless card, tried different SATA ports on the mobo and had no luck. I have spent 3 evenings now trying to install the OS without any luck.

Some of the BSOD errors I see are that PTEs are being mismanaged, the system tried to execute memory from a non-executable area, but the one that pops up as windows is starting (after windows is installed or when I am trying to install it) is too fast for me to see what it is saying. I just get BSOD for half a second then computer reboot.

Sorry I cannot be more specific on each BSOD error, I have seen so many they all seem to blend together.

The Windows 7 x64 CD seems fine, booted up on my MacBook. I will install it tonight to test it if need be, but think at this point it is a hardware issue.

At this point I am running out of ideas.... I have had issues like this in the past on other computers, but a BIOS setting needed to be changed and everything was fine after that. I have toyed with about half of them and had no luck what so ever.... any ideas?

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
I had issues like you, and have posted this in the tips and tricks for Win7, found this entirely by accident, but the results are amazing
Wn7 seems to have more than the usual amount of problems with BSOD's, lots of threads and lots of varied results, ATI drivers are a headache, but I am using a Nvidia card, I have 4 computers running Win7 Ultimate(64 and 32bit), 1 laptop and 3 desktops, none are reliable yet, have search the MSFT socials,and every place that my search engine(not Google) will find, lately tried switching to 64bit to see if there is any improvement, 15 days later and they started(BSOD's) again, I had always thought that Win 7 had a memory leak, mostly because the causes were so different, no rhyme or reason for them, everyone had different issues, so the last time I had to reinstall I did a dual boot with XP so I could run my old games, that destroyed being able to Restore to a earlier time, 10 days later the problems started again, this time I disconnected the HDD that has all my apps on it(WD 500G), figured I'd spend some time checking everything again, when I rebooted it ran fine, reconnected the HDD and rebooted and more problems, disconnect the HDD all is well, HMM though the HDD is dying right, NOT, it's a WD so I ran WD Diagnostic tools, no problem, ran every HDD Daignostic tool I could find, no problems, I am assuming the tools are right and the drive is good, so why is the the second drive causing me problems, looked in the System Settings, went to Virtual Memory, and checked the settings
Control Panel
Open System
In the left pane, click Advanced system settings. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings.
Click the Advanced tab, and then, under Virtual memory, click Change.
Clear the Automatically manage paging file size for all drives check box.
Under Drive [Volume Label], click the drive that contains the paging file you want to change. "C" for me
Click Custom size, type a new size in megabytes in the Initial size (MB) or Maximum size (MB) box, click Set, and then click OK.
the Page file size was 2046, but the recommended was 3069, that was strange, the system had allocated less page file space than it recommended, so I clicked on Custom size changed the Minimum size to 3069 and the Max size to 4096, clicked the Set button to the right and OK at the bottom, reconnected the second HDD and rebooted, started and ran fine and has been fine since then, 5 days now with out a BSOD, considering that it was BSOD at boot before I hope that my issues are done, so if you have tried everything alse and can't seem to get a handle on why you are having BSOD's, try this, and good luck, will advise later.