Sign in with
Your question
Closed

The final word in PC piracy

Last response: in Video Games
November 4, 2010 12:39:51 AM

I've wondered for awhile now why everytime i check the PC section on game spot or IGN all i see are consle ports or games for young children or girls ( the sims ) ... Today i walked into wal-mart and checked out their PC games section , it was mostly bare there were several varations of the SIMS and some older games , but nothing really interesting ..

i'm actually old enough to remember when you could buy used PC games in computer stores just like you can buy xbox 360 games today ...

Piracy is killing EVERYTHING , well everything it can steal ...

This white paper by Koroush Ghazi is one of the best articles on PC piracy that i've ever read in my life , i encourage all of you to read it .. it's nine pages of pure reason and common sense .. here's the link

Edit by 4ryan6: Article contains links to illegal piracy sites whether it was or was not intended in posting it, is irrelevent!

As many of you know the HD 6000 series was recently released by AMD , i was considering buying a 6870 , but now i have to ask myself what the point of that would be ? Total war japan won't be out for another two years , same with microsoft flight ... other than those two games , everything else coming out is a consle port , and i wouldn't need a 6870 let alone a 5870 to play any of those ...

I suppose i have no one but people like myself to blame , like many of you , my hands are not clean ... I don't pirate as much anymore these days because it's a hassle , not to mention i lost my last computer to piracy ... if properly motivated i'm sure i'd revert back to PC piracy ...

As i sit here and watch the entire industry die , i can only hope that developers are able to find more effective forms of DRM .. i WANT them to make it hard for people like myself to pirate , i want them to make it so hard that someday i think about PC games in the manner i think about my xbox 360 games ... "since i can't pirate it , might as well pay for it "

long live DRM !

Marquis

p.s READ IT !

Edit by 4ryan6: Article contains links to illegal piracy sites whether it was or was not intended in posting it, is irrelevent!

More about : final word piracy

November 4, 2010 2:13:04 AM

For one: do not "check out" wal-mart for games. Wal-mart is evil lol. But I hole heartedly agree. Reading your post I presume you are in a totally different genre of games than I, but as I see it, the gaming industry will have to follow suite to that of any game made by Blizzard entertainment or companies that are providing MMORPG's or online competitive games. Try pirating SCII or WOW....right? The games are for the most part "online".
November 4, 2010 6:31:30 AM

Dice is still going strong, BF3 is coming out 2011 =D...
IW and Treyarch toooooo.. Edit: they suck either way, but they are producing games...Second edit: IW and Treyarch, not Dice
Related resources
November 4, 2010 12:55:50 PM

Narcissistic much? You have the final word on piracy? That is amazing.

Piracy will always be around. PC software, Movies, Music, XBox, PSP, PS3 (given time)...etc.

DRM will not stop pirating and you praising it will only demonstrate your ignorance. Our society shows that removing individuals rights will not stop the criminal element. If anything it will increase it. Anyone with half a brain knows this and understands it completely.

Encroaching on someone’s freedom will not make an honest person happy. I purchase a CD/DVD, it should be mine seeing how I legally exchanged money for the product. Now I am being told that I really don’t have any rights to that product. I can’t make a copy of it because it really isn’t mine to copy. Now I have to pay more money to purchase movies with multiple copies on multiple discs so I can “legally” have a backup or copy of it. I have a burner and a blank disc. If I want a copy for the car, kid’s room, bedroom…etc I should have the right to copy that since I purchased it.

The system is broken and the corporations have no desire to fix it because to truly fix it will not bank them billions of dollars. Keeping piracy around ensures that the CEO can purchase a new million dollar beach house this year. Piracy stays around because the companies that complain about it base their business model around it. Piracy makes them money.
November 4, 2010 1:29:25 PM

Good job "bill gates is your daddy" you pretty much summed up my whole anti DRM argument. Where is my comment anyways??
November 4, 2010 1:47:54 PM

bill gates is your daddy said:
Narcissistic much? You have the final word on piracy? That is amazing.

Piracy will always be around. PC software, Movies, Music, XBox, PSP, PS3 (given time)...etc.

DRM will not stop pirating and you praising it will only demonstrate your ignorance. Our society shows that removing individuals rights will not stop the criminal element. If anything it will increase it. Anyone with half a brain knows this and understands it completely.

Encroaching on someone’s freedom will not make an honest person happy. I purchase a CD/DVD, it should be mine seeing how I legally exchanged money for the product. Now I am being told that I really don’t have any rights to that product. I can’t make a copy of it because it really isn’t mine to copy. Now I have to pay more money to purchase movies with multiple copies on multiple discs so I can “legally” have a backup or copy of it. I have a burner and a blank disc. If I want a copy for the car, kid’s room, bedroom…etc I should have the right to copy that since I purchased it.

The system is broken and the corporations have no desire to fix it because to truly fix it will not bank them billions of dollars. Keeping piracy around ensures that the CEO can purchase a new million dollar beach house this year. Piracy stays around because the companies that complain about it base their business model around it. Piracy makes them money.

So your saying you disagree with pages 8 and 9 ?

please explain why ... you did read it right ? because the author crushed the postions that your now trying to support ....
November 4, 2010 4:40:26 PM

marquis said:
So your saying you disagree with pages 8 and 9 ?

please explain why ... you did read it right ? because the author crushed the postions that your now trying to support ....

I do not have to read it to already know what is said. There is no "crushing" any position for either side. This is a dead horse debate and you are nothing more than a common troll that continually brings it up like it's some new story.

Pirating is here. It's here to stay. There is not going to be a single thing that will ever change that. The only people that will ever be harmed by the corporations trying to stop piracy are the people that do not pirate.

I suspect that you are also the type of person that believes that gun laws help take guns out of criminals hands.

Please find a new subject to troll on about

November 4, 2010 5:01:07 PM

Piracy, the thing that is always around

All my friends are pirates, remember, if you ever have given someone a CD you ARE a pirate.
November 4, 2010 5:25:52 PM

I do not have to read it to already know what is said. There is no "crushing" any position for either side. This is a dead horse debate and you are nothing more than a common troll that continually brings it up like it's some new story.

Pirating is here. It's here to stay. There is not going to be a single thing that will ever change that. The only people that will ever be harmed by the corporations trying to stop piracy are the people that do not pirate.

I suspect that you are also the type of person that believes that gun laws help take guns out of criminals hands.

Please find a new subject to troll on about

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/nekrobius/NetTroll.jpg

i'm not a troll .... i made this post so that people could read the article ... it's REALLY informative and enjoyable ..

if you don't want to read it , your loss ...

November 4, 2010 6:34:18 PM

marquis said:
i'm not a troll .... i made this post so that people could read the article ... it's REALLY informative and enjoyable ..

if you don't want to read it , your loss ...

(.. it's REALLY informative and enjoyable ..) <--- That is called an opinion. You are welcome to it.

You also stated that this is the final word in piracy like this person has some great insight into the answer to the universe. You also stated that this drivel that you want people to read crushes the opposition.

I scanned through it for sake of argument and I have to say it's the same thing I always hear. Just another anti-piracy talking head that rattles on like a tin-can full of rocks.

The only final word that can be spoken about piracy is that you will not get rid of it. This is something that you will need to accept. Starting yet another :sleep:  :sleep:  :sleep:  thread about piracy does make you a troll.

I have been around technology for a very long time. I was working in mainframes when the whole PC market started. Used to jump on the old IBM PC and hit the BBS's to play TradeWars. Even then you could find all kinds of nifty programs to download.

I tell you this because during all this time that has passed I have not ever purchased OS software my entire life. This includes DOS / Windows and any and all Office tools. It has always been available one way or another. OEM copies from work. Copies from friends. Downloads off the internet....etc.

This is Roe vs Wade in the technology world. There is always going to be arguments for the PROs and CONs. There is no golden answer to appease everyone involved in this war. It is what it is. All you can do is accept it and live your life.

You wish to oppose piracy...good for you. I on the other hand endorse it. Our opinions cancel each other out. Moot
November 4, 2010 7:14:45 PM

(.. it's REALLY informative and enjoyable ..) <--- That is called an opinion. You are welcome to it.

You also stated that this is the final word in piracy like this person has some great insight into the answer to the universe. You also stated that this drivel that you want people to read crushes the opposition.

I scanned through it for sake of argument and I have to say it's the same thing I always hear. Just another anti-piracy talking head that rattles on like a tin-can full of rocks.

The only final word that can be spoken about piracy is that you will not get rid of it. This is something that you will need to accept. Starting yet another :sleep:  :sleep:  :sleep:  thread about piracy does make you a troll.

I have been around technology for a very long time. I was working in mainframes when the whole PC market started. Used to jump on the old IBM PC and hit the BBS's to play TradeWars. Even then you could find all kinds of nifty programs to download.

I tell you this because during all this time that has passed I have not ever purchased OS software my entire life. This includes DOS / Windows and any and all Office tools. It has always been available one way or another. OEM copies from work. Copies from friends. Downloads off the internet....etc.

This is Roe vs Wade in the technology world. There is always going to be arguments for the PROs and CONs. There is no golden answer to appease everyone involved in this war. It is what it is. All you can do is accept it and live your life.

You wish to oppose piracy...good for you. I on the other hand endorse it. Our opinions cancel each other out. Moot

maybe you should have read harder , the author never suggests for a second that piracy will go away .. and i don't think i've suggested that piracy will go away either .. as for the title of this thread , unless you can find a better researched more informative article on piracy , i honestly think this guys paper will remain the final word on computer piracy ...

maybe you don't care about piracy because you like MMOG or the sims etc , but the games that i like , racing games , shooting games with more than 24 online players are getting killed by piracy ...

i don't think i said i wish to OPPOSE piracy , i said that i hope the industry makes it so hard to pirate that i'm left with no other choice but to pay for the games .. as long as it's easier for me to download a game instead of paying for it , i'll proably revert back to my previous ways ...

the developers have had the snot kicked out of them by piracy , so i hope for their sake they can get things together , otherwise the games that i enjoy playing won't be around any more ..

November 4, 2010 9:38:29 PM

Bethesda made Fallout 3 without DRM just because it would cost them money and people would pirate it anyways. Good on them.
November 4, 2010 9:57:55 PM

notsonoobPCguy said:
Bethesda made Fallout 3 without DRM just because it would cost them money and people would pirate it anyways. Good on them.

fallout 3 was made for the console , the graphics suck , and on top of that the next elder scrolls is going to be an MMOG ... i don't want to play an MMOG where you constantly give money to developers every month just so you can play a game ..
November 4, 2010 10:53:50 PM

Yea im not a big fan of monthly paying. The graphics i can say aren't the best in Fo3 but at least its not a GTA IV slideshow :3
November 5, 2010 5:53:37 AM

hey, if someone is getting a game for free and other is spending some 50$ for it, then well, tell me what will you like to do?
Don't babble about laws and regulations.
See, so everybody wants free of cost, and if they are getting it without much hassle, then nobody is gonna buy
November 5, 2010 1:27:15 PM

I find pirating a hassle sometimes, i tried to get Just Cause 2 by pirating and it would never save in game. I just bought it on steam instead for 50 bucks. Its worth it.
November 5, 2010 8:29:44 PM

it was, I got it for free ^^ (not piracy, it was a promotion) I would've payed the money for it.
November 5, 2010 9:33:48 PM

I got DiRT 2 for free with my graphics card :3 AND HL2 DM and HL2 Lost Coast and HL Deathmatch
November 5, 2010 10:43:36 PM

=D free games ftw
November 9, 2010 11:45:24 AM

To the OP, your article link has been edited out, you appear sincere in your anti-piracy change of heart, it's not a rule breaker to simply talk about this issue here at THGF, but the article contained links to illegal piracy download websites and posting that is against the THGF Terms of Use. I'm not going to ban you, I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here that you did not intend on making those websites available through the article, I'm closing this thread and you can take this as a warning, do not do that again! 4ryan6
!