Help Asus A7V

G

Ok bare with me this is kind of confusing. Well i bought an Asus A7V board awhile back and i have a 950mhz AMD Thunderbird, SB Live!, and a Voodoo 5. Well I had a lot of trouble getting it to work. For some reason it didnt like me loading window's me on a fresh hard drive. So i loaded 98 SE instead and everything went ok. I later upgraded to ME and no real major problems. Well 2 days ago my computer rebooted all of a sudden for no reason. So it starts to come back up and it would get to scandisk then reboot again. Well it kept on doing that and there was no way around it. So i formatted and loaded ME again. As soon as i loaded it, it would lock up. I thought i might have a heating problem but i dont think that is the case. I took my case off and added another fan. My CPU isnt very hot when i touch it. Well thats not even the problem anymore. One time i turned it off and it wouldnt turn on again. I bought a new power supply and that didnt work. I think something might have been set wrong and it destroyed the board or CPU. Now if the CPU was hurt i would think that it would still turn on. But maybe i'm wrong. I know i got power to the board because when i hook the power supply to the board the little green light on the board lights up. Does anybody have any idea here? I really hope its a bad board because thats not as expensive to replace. Also if the board is bad what do you recommend? I've been looking at the Abit RAID but i dont want another asus.. I went to their website and everybody is having problems with them. Well thanks for your time.
Chris

DSutcliffe

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, you really didn't give enough details but here is what I would try.

Remove every peripheral from your computer except:
Motherboard,
CPU,
Video,
floppy,
Hard Disk,
Ram.

Plug in the power, keyboard, mouse and video and attempt to get a POST. If you do, install Windows without your peripherals. After everything is up fine add components one at a time to see if there is any problems caused by a specific device.

If you still don't get a POST after removing everything, you have to replace your parts one by one until you find the problem part.

Good luck.

G

No you dont understand. I cant even get power. I cant get anything to turn on. The power supply isnt bad. It just stopped working all of a sudden and i'm wondering if i fried my bored or something.

DSutcliffe

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It's a possiblity, I'm just telling you how I would do it. The reason behind that is I built a system for a customer of mine and the damn thing would not power up no matter what I did.

Now I know what I'm doing when it comes to computers so I know it wasn't something I did. I followed the procedure that I recommended to you and discovered that if I tightened the screw too much on the modem, that the computer would not power up.

So if you can't get it to power up, try the process then try replacing the parts one by one. The only other solution is that you have the power switch wires going to the wrong place and from your original post, I don't think that is the problem.

Once again, Good Luck.

TazMo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I agree with DSutcliffe on getting to the lowest common denominator. The green light on the MOBO relates to the system standby/soft power off function, it's there to remind you that the board has power even though it may seem off. Power supplies provide more than a single voltage to the system, and if the power suppply is providing incorrect voltages, it wouldn't show up with the LED. Since you reinstalled the power supply double check that you've reattached the cables from the front panel of the case correctly you probably have, but if the pwr switch is reversed or on the wrong pins the board just sits there. If you have an extra vid card that you know works, PCI preferred, use that to test the board, that would rule out the video card and the AGP slot failing. Also when you say it doesn't do anything does the monitor do anything? like flicker when you turn on the system?

Since POST is a very basic function I would think that the board died. I know that a board won't POST without a CPU, but a bad CPU I'm not really sure. I know that I've had RAM die that wouldn't allow the computer to POST. I've also had RAM that was defective and caused similar problems, the loading and repeated scandisk, but not total failure.
Annyhow I would if you can swap out the RAM and the video card. Just to see if it POSTS.

As to why it failed always buy good power supplies and when new make sure it is puting out the correct voltages. Other than maunfacturing defects a bad power supply could kill a MOBO. Athlons can die if the cpu cooler stops working as quick as seven seconds is what I've read.

Sounds to me like the MOBO, but you kind of have to go step by step to rule out the other possibilities.

I've used the ASUS A7V I thought it was a very good board. I generally use either ASUS or ABIT. My system uses the ABIT KT7RAID. I think it's an excellent board.

Good Luck!

G

I had this problem on my a7v setup and I believe (!) the problem is the audio card. Mine was an irq conflict caused by the sbe16 exe coming from the live! software. Go into safe mode with step by step conformation, and select no when you get to this stage.
Then go into the device manager and disable the sbe16 component under multimedia devices. Then restart.
You should then be smilin. :)

Raistlin

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Couple basic things,
What kind of heat sink did you put on?
if it was a socket 370 for celeron (they do ship these with the thunderbirds) you possibly crushed your processor,
and no the system wont boot if the processor is dead because the power supply needs a signal from mb to power up
*ready to power* or something like that.
I think this is most likely unless you screwed up your case cables and have them on wrong. Also did you use jumpers or jumperless mode. set to jumperless mode and make sure they are all on board. If i think of something else i will post it.
Bored, Certified Tech

G

My advice is to try to reset the bios and try again.
There should be a jumper on the MB to achieve this.
The advised procedure is to unplug the power-connector,
do the reset and plug the p-connector back in.
Good luck.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by wms on 11/21/00 09:43 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Just a quick question. Did you try flat building it i.e not mounted in the case?. As a last resort its not a bad idea to try just in case(bad pun) your case has an earthing problem.
Yours is m/b i will be moving to next so i hope this is an isolated problem, good luck