I need a good thunderbird motherboard (1.1ghz)

G

I need help, I want a motherboard that will bring out the
best in the following. I bought an Asus KT7 but the darn heatsink won't fit... I have no case fans but I like living dangerously... :)

Athlon 1.1GHz (Thunderbird)
Hercules GeForce2 Ultra (AGP)
1 x 256MB PC133 (Infineon CAS3)
1 x 128MB PC133 (Hyundai CAS3)
1 x SBLive! Platinum (PCI)
1 x DXR3 MPEG2 Decoder (PCI)
1 x Eicon DIVA ISDN TA (PCI)
1 x 3COM 3C905B-TX (PCI)

I have a couple of ATA-66 IDE drives (5400rpm IBM 35GB + 7200rpm Matrox 20GB) and an LS120 and a Pioneer DVD-114.

I was thinking of a Asus K7V, but if anyone has any better ideas then I'm listening.

Thanks

Alasdair

alasdair@gzunk.com

G

Obviously you want to keep hold of your investment in ram so it has to be a Via KT 133 solution. The Asus is an excellent example of this genre but going through your component list I see an LS120 drive and a Pioneer DVD drive, which pushes me to recommend the Abit KT7R. It has the performance

PC's were fun 7 years ago, now everybody is using them.

G

Obviously you want to keep hold of your investment in ram so it has to be a Via KT 133 solution. The Asus is an excellent example of this genre but going through your component list I see an LS120 drive and a Pioneer DVD drive, which pushes me to recommend the Abit KT7R. It has the performance of the Asus if not more but also the extra IDE ports. This would allow you to put the LS120 on the secondary non-raid IDE channel on its own and also allow you to expand with a CD Writer on the primary non-raid channel. You would also have room for a couple of more harddrives on the secondary raid IDE channel. If you don't want the extra expansion you could also try the Epox EP-8KTA2 which has the new southbridge from Via which supports ATA 100.

PC's were fun 7 years ago, now everybody is using them.

G

Yes, the KT7R would be good, however because I can't seem go get hold of a heatsink that will fit the K7T/KT7Raid then I'm a bit stuck...

I live in London UK - can anyone suggest anywhere where I can find a heatsink/fan that I can attach to my Thunderbird 1.1? And one that fits the KT7 / KT7 Raid?

Either I buy a new motherboard or a new heatsink...

Alasdair

G

Try http://www.3dcool.com/ I just ordered the "SuperOrb." It has been back ordered but, I am sure that it will be more than adequate.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I just ordered a Duron/Kt7 Raid combo overclocked to 1000 Mhz from the Overclockerz store, OCZ.SAFESHOPPER.COM. Supplied with the combo is an HSF called OCZ Monster II which sells separately for $19.99 here in the USA. They have other coolers and they ship internationally.

G

Stay away from the Asus K7V with the thunderbird chip. Not as stable as everyone claims. Hangs on me every 3rd boot. If you want the Asus brand, wait for the new K7V-T (I'm guessing you have slotA thunderbird?) Good luck.

G

Thanks for all the help everyone, I decided against swapping my KT7 for a K7V, I managed to get a CoolerMaster DP5-6H51 - which is certified for my chip - which is now running a lot cooler :)

RamaV

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If i may presume <G> We all noticed you want to keep ahold of all the RAM youve invested in, which we all understand because we can all UG till we plotz with new tech coming out week after week. BUT, i think what you may want to consider as a plan is when the new DDR MB`s come out, slappping that nice new gig CPU into it. Itll have capabilities you just wont get, and allow you more flexibility for future UGing. Also it allows you to take what you have, slap it in a $40 case and have an extra puter. If your wondering why i brought this up, its solely because thats been my plan for months, an im thrilled the new MBs are finally coming out. Also, the new DDR SDRAM wont be so prohibitively expensive..the performance boost for your buck should be dam impressive.

Enjoy~!

TRENDING THREADS