Slot 1 CPU Upgrade

G

I have a PCChips Slot 1 "M748MR" board with a SIS 620 bios, 100Mhz frontside bus, and PC100 memory. The Board now uses a 400 Mhz Celeron CPU. The Board manual says it will accept a Slot 1 PIII and that it is CPU PnP. However, I've read here that the core voltage of the CPU is at issue if you upgrade and that you must determine if the Board will support the core voltage of the upgrade CPU among other things. I am unable to determine from the manual if the CPU voltage can be set by jumper and only see reference to the PnP CPU feature. Can I run a Slot 1 800MHz coppermine PIII in the board ??? even though it has a core voltage less than the Celeron. If not, is there a viable work-around??? I've been told to drop a Slot 1 PIII (100Mhz FSB) in the slot and see if it is recognized by the board's CPU PnP feature. Is that good advise??? Thanks in advance for any feedback!!!

G

Your motherboard should identify the coppermine processor and apply the correct voltages automatically. I think the manual is just hyping its P&P feature in that you can change the processor without additional configuring which is common on all motherboards.

chaotictech

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If you have a friend with a coppermine p3 throw it in there and see what happens. the worst it will do is not run it if it does youve got your answer.

G

Upgrade completed successfully. 800 MHz PIII installed and functioning without problems.

ERL