Help with an MMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakebaker13

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
I recently custom ordered my first gaming PC and a few games. (S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series, The Witcher, and Oblivion) What my question is: What MMO would you reccomend for someone new to the platform. I played Guild Wars for aboutt six months back in 2005 and I liked it for the most part. I really liked how you could set out on your own and completly avoid gathering a party if one desired.

Other things I like in my rpgs are deep crafting/ alchemy systems. Basically having things to do other than going on quests and combatting endless opponents. I like a little variety.

I have been looking at a few games, World of Warcraft being one. But I fear at being six years old it may be nearing the end of its lifespan. I dont know, I am ignorant on this.
I have also been looking at Star Wars: The old Republic and Guild Wars 2.

So what do you think? Have any other Ideas? Should I give WoW a chance or just wait for The Old Republic or Guild Wars 2?
Thanks guys/girls!!!!

Solution
Let me start off by saying that I dont like WoW. Yes, I have played it and decided it just wasnt for me. I like depth in my MMO and WoW seemed shallow and the graphics are straight out of the WC3 engine.

If you want an incredibly polished MMO that has great depth and an array of customization options, I recommend EQ2. The game came out in 2004/5 and it still looks fantastic; far better than WoW's storybook graphics.

If you are on the fence, you can download the EQ2 client and play for free on the free servers and if you like it enough, I recommend upgrading to the Live servers (9.95 per month). You wont be disappointed.

MockingbirdUK

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
WoW is about to be revamped with a new expansion, and there is a LOT of content already in the game beyond just "kill this" type quests.

I think if you give WoW a go on the free trial and see what the characters are like you may enjoy it. I would recommned you play a character until level 20ish before finalising whether you like it or not - all are very simple at the start (for new players) so they don't start to really get a flavour until level 10-10 or so.

Old republic looks very exciting (and plot/story-led) but isn't out for a while.

jakebaker13

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
Well I've also been looking at Age of Conan and Fallen Earth. I went ahead and ordered Fallen earth yesterday because the vendor I purchased it from had it listed for $5 so I didn't see any harm in trying it. (I got Trine for $0.14 too!) I have been trying WoWs free trial for the past two days and while I enjoyed myself initially I got tired of all the handholding. Any Idea if Age of Conan is a little more free-form or how the death penalty is in it? I can't find any info about the death penalty.

WoW and end of lifespan, not likely. It probably has an active subscriber base of all the other MMOs combined. Outside of maybe Lineage which seems to own the Korean nation.

No issues about getting involed in WoW as a new player right now, especially with the new XPack coming out.

hthero715

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
Let me start off by saying that I dont like WoW. Yes, I have played it and decided it just wasnt for me. I like depth in my MMO and WoW seemed shallow and the graphics are straight out of the WC3 engine.

If you want an incredibly polished MMO that has great depth and an array of customization options, I recommend EQ2. The game came out in 2004/5 and it still looks fantastic; far better than WoW's storybook graphics.

If you are on the fence, you can download the EQ2 client and play for free on the free servers and if you like it enough, I recommend upgrading to the Live servers (9.95 per month). You wont be disappointed.

Solution

jakebaker13

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
Thanks for the input I will check it out. I tried WoW's trial and I really didn't like it. Right now I am looking at EVE Online and Fallen Earth. Both have huge crafting possibilities which is very fun for me. I acctually picked up Fallen Earth for $5 the other day so I should get around to playing it soon after I have my current game wrapped up.

Edit: I just checked it out and I remember my Ex's father playing this. Could never remember what it was called. It looks great. Doing more research!

Morton

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2005
For the gameplay on older computers I would suggest Navyfield, Fonline 2238 (Fallout Online MMO based on Fallout 2), NWN in multiplayer/pw mode and maybe DDO. For the graphics and a modern computer I would keep an eye on a horror MMO called The Secret World. If you like space games, there's Jumpgate Evolution, Battlestar Galactica Online, Miner Wars and Galactic Command in development.

Fonline gameplay
Navyfield gameplay
DDO Litany of the Dead
Miner Wars website
The Secret World
Battlestar Galactica Online beta test

jakebaker13

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
That's a great list. Galactic Command Online and The Secret Life sound pretty far out. I am also interested in Age of Conan. I know this is stupid to say with admitting I am intrigued by AoC, but I am really getting sick of elves, golbens, and hobbits. I don't really count Conan in there for ME at least because it's not Tolkein-esque generic fantasy.

varis

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010

Funny, given your stated specs I was thinking of telling you off Eve Online. After over 7 years in operation, it shows no signs of dying. Incredible depth in this game, but it's also notorious for its harsh learning curve. I've played this 6.5 years on and off, and I sometimes struggle to keep up with the competition - but then again I mostly do PvP and little crafting. I think Eve is ultimately about power and dominance - you are pitting your industrial, military, propaganda and espionage effort against that of your rival - is it your dream that gets crushed, or is it his?

Anyway, I gather Lord of the Rings also has quite a bit of crafting. I once watched a guy play this game for a bit (about 30mins)? And all his halfling seemed to be doing was to work on some leather items. Not my type of game, but could be yours ;)

jakebaker13

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010

Actually I went ahead and bought both EVE and Fallen earth since I was able to find both for about $5 a piece. I am having a hell of a hard time deciding which one to go with. Honestly I think it just comes down to the community.

Status
Not open for further replies.