Good hardware compression Video card?

I was wondering wether you may use some hardware compression card to get Video in, with what driver?

I'm presently looking to buy such a card that i want to use for analogic Video In for screen and acquisition (with one or more from those very nice software : mencoder, transcode, XawTV XawTVEncode).

What i truly need is hardawre compression, since my GPU is an old TNT2-m64-32Mo-sdr and I'd like not to ask the CPU too much for video acquisition (i've currently run an Athlon 1800+ & will shift for A64 >3000+ sooner or later).

There's a bunch of projects for TV cards, but it's pretty hard to know which cards are truly compatible (i'm talking of actual cards).
I keep workin on it anyway, so some advice might be of great interest to me.

Internet <=> Share all we can.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kozaki on 01/16/05 12:05 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
4 answers Last reply
More about good hardware compression video card
  1. www.justlinux.com

Someone can probably help you over there.
  2. yeah thanks bjpatrick.
    I've allready found some more than helpfull links from Just Linux > hardware board, as well as in <A HREF="http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=18" target="_new">linuxquestions.org</A>.
    Also updated my <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=110492#110492" target="_new">Best video capture solution.</A> post on THG

Internet <=> Share all we can.
  3. I usually have found that there was better tech support at just linux than linux questions but that could have changed. Since I cannot run Linux really full-time until my graduate degree is finished considering they want everything in MS Office. Hell if the Dr.s see a OpenOffice doc. they are completely confused.
  4. Aww, such a *pity*
    But since it is for Office, that let you some time to run Linux, right ?
    Also IMHO there's no reasons why you couldn't write some stuff on text / OOo documents while you're enjoying your Linux box, then latter open / edit / save them with MS Office.

Internet <=> Share all we can.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hardware Video Compression