Sign in with
Your question

Trying to rename my partitions

Last response: in Windows 7
September 15, 2010 3:48:44 PM

hi there. i've run in to a problem when trying to rename my partitions in win7, running on my HP laptop. it is a fresh install from a previous win7 installation, which had the same exact problem. i've everything that i could imagine might work but to no avail. please help.

More about : rename partitions

September 15, 2010 3:57:05 PM

Are you trying to change the display name, the drive letters, or the "boot names" on system startup? If its just the display name you can just open Computer -> Right-click Drive -> Rename.
a c 209 $ Windows 7
September 15, 2010 4:10:56 PM

If it's the drive letters (i.e., change "D:" to "U":, for example), then you need to use Disk Manager:

- Start -> right-click "My Computer" and select "Manage"
- click on "Disk Management" in the right pane.
- find the partition in the lower-right portion of the right pane, right-click on it, and select "Change Drive Letter and Paths..."
Related resources
September 15, 2010 4:34:36 PM

thanx 4 the reply, but, what u mention, is the 1st thing i tried. what is strange, is that, in the disk manager the names are correct, but in "my computer it just says "local disk". :(  go figure. this is something i've never come across before, so it can't be that simple. thanx again.
a c 209 $ Windows 7
September 15, 2010 6:12:26 PM

Have you tried changing the view in the "My Computer" window? For example, selecting "Details" view instead of the default?
September 15, 2010 6:39:25 PM

thanx, but makes no difference.
a c 209 $ Windows 7
September 15, 2010 6:44:52 PM

Would it be possible to post a screen shot of what your Computer folder looks like?
September 15, 2010 9:18:15 PM

ok, i'm working on that.
a c 209 $ Windows 7
September 16, 2010 1:59:02 AM

Yep, it's just like you said alright!

If you right-click on the drive, is there a rename option? If so, what exactly happens when you choose it?
September 16, 2010 10:15:30 AM

there is a rename option, after i right the desired name and press enter it just goes back to "Local Disk". :( 
a c 209 $ Windows 7
September 16, 2010 5:08:51 PM

I've been able to Google a couple of references to other people having the same problem, but none of them seems to have a solution...

I think I'm out of ideas....
September 16, 2010 5:10:18 PM

@aegain

#1: Never ever mess up with the Disk slice (partition) labels while working within the Windows. Trust me one day it could land you in a soup!
#2 For such tasks, always use very handy FREE 3rd party tools.
September 16, 2010 9:15:16 PM

akula2 said:
@aegain

#1: Never ever mess up with the Disk slice (partition) labels while working within the Windows. Trust me one day it could land you in a soup!

which tools do u mean, exactly?
September 16, 2010 9:23:24 PM

i think i've given the impression of being a complete noob, but i've done stuff with a pc that amazed my i.t. mates. but u come across something like this and u're like, huh? WTF?!!
anyway, cheers to all 4 the effort.
September 17, 2010 10:54:43 AM

akula2 said:
@aegain

ok, this seems like an interesting tool, but what does it have to do with my problem?
November 9, 2012 2:00:33 PM

aegian said:
hi there. i've run in to a problem when trying to rename my partitions in win7, running on my HP laptop. it is a fresh install from a previous win7 installation, which had the same exact problem. i've everything that i could imagine might work but to no avail. please help.

I have the same problem, I use yamicsoft win7 manager, this software has the option to fix the curent issue, work for me :) 
!