Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Support
  • Audio
  • Motherboards
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
November 5, 2010 7:59:54 PM

I just custom ordered my first gaming PC. My motherboard is a GigaByte GA-X58A-UD3R (it has 7.1 Dolby audio)

This is really a two part question:

First: one of the games I ordered lists Sound device, EAX, and DYNAMIC MUSIC in the audio options. what do these options mean and which one would I choose to support a 7.1 headset/ 5.1 surround sound system?

Second: I am looking to buy the logitech Z-5500 5.1 audio system. What cables do I need for this to plug into my mother board?

Here is a link to my motherboard that shows the inputs on the back, just click on the small thumbnail below the main picture http://gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3449...

Here is a link to the surround system. Just click on specifications and it says what cable it comes with.
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/speakers-audio/home-pc-sp...

I am sorry if I placed this thread in the wrong location, but since it was dealing with videogame audio I thought it was the best spot.

More about : eax support questions

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
November 8, 2010 2:35:37 AM

1: EAX is an old audio spec that allowed for extra environmental effects when paired with an EAX capable soundcard. Its more or less a dead spec at this point. EAX 1-2 are supported by most chipset vendors, and 3-5 are supported only officially by Creative soundcards using the X-fi chipset. If you have the necessary hardware/software support, then go with EAX, but its not a dealbreaker.

2: For the Z-5500, you have two options: Analog or Digital. Analog typically offers higher quality, so you would plug the color coded analog audio outputs from the motherboard to the Z-5500 (There should be 3 outputs, Green and two other colors I can't recall right now :p  ). Digital is only one wire and offers the advantage of passing through all Dolby/DTS audio tracks to the Z-5500 to decode (which lessens the workload on the PC when those types of audio tracks need to be played back), but offers slightly less audio quality.
November 8, 2010 8:26:10 AM

Thank you. this means so much more sense to me now. Can't wait to enjoy New Vegas in surround sound!
Score
Related resources
November 15, 2010 6:53:25 AM

Best answer selected by jakebaker13.
Score
a b V Motherboard
November 15, 2010 9:10:54 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!