socket 7 and AMD K6 2

G

Could anyone please tell me if you K6 II 500 MHz processor is compatible with my computer (socket 7 mainboard)?

I have installed the K6 2 500MHz processor and can only get my computer to run at 290MHz (3.5 X 83 MHz). The computer can recognize the processor at 430MHz, but it crashes while loading windows 95. Yes, I have installed the patch from MSN, but it doesn't seem to do the trick. AMD processors supposedly have a built in logic that reads a setting of "2" as "6" on the clock multiplier, but this deosn't seem to my case either. I have had to configure manual jumper settings on my board to get anything to work, as my bios doesn't allow me to make the neccesary changes (bus speed, processor speed etc..).

I currently am running a Acer Aspire with a K6 233Mhz on board.

Aspire serial # 2601350073
Model # 1830
P/N 91.AB575.M01
Mainboard V58LA
Core Voltage 2.8V-3.52
Bus 66, 75 & 83 MHz

I have done a lot of research on the internet and I am running into conflicting information. Also, I am unable to find my motherboard on the net, and Acer's website as very limited information regarding my board.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
just because your board has an 83 mhz setting doesn't mean it will run with it, in all actuallity it wont. You have to understand using this setting you are running everything overclocked ( ie video card, controller, memory et all) First try this. Set the motherboard to 75 mhz and the jumper to 2x and tell me if you expeirance the same problem.
you should be running at 400 mhz.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
yikes I just looked back and found that your board does not support the 2.2 volts that your processor needs yee gads man carefull you might fry the processor, you using any kind of adapter?

G

Thanks for the info....

I read right here on Tom's site that the K6 2 500Mz processor supports a range of core voltage settings.

2.2V to 2.8V

Cam you verify this?

Thanks

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
No I can not, it would be risky at best. A .6v increase is very high even by overclocers standards, although I am sure some have done it succesfully I am sure many others have fried there CPU trying ( the thing is people tend to brag when they can do it and stay mum when they burn it up). First of all, have you tried the processor at 75 mhz bus? Tell me if you enconter problems there and that will be a starting point.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
How many jumpers do yo have for voltage settings and describe there configuration as best you can. Many motherboards support more voltage setting then they list on there legend. Hopefully, if you have 4 different jumpers, you may be able to get the correct voltage. If you have three then the chances are not so good.

G

Thanks for all your help...I really appreciate the feedback.
I have decided to upgrade to a compatible mainboard rather than risk frying my new K6 2 processor.

Any suggestions in terms of what board (super socket 7) I should consider?

Thanks again,

Neil