Any device to connect home wired Ethernet to outside 802.1..

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Is there any wireless device (802.11 type. compatible with WiFi
hot spots) that would interface to the outside WiFi network and
connect local devices with Ethernet cable, i.e. it would act as a
router, firewall for local wired dekstops/laptops and provide access
to Internet through a single 802.11 port. It would be a *reverse* of
the popular Linksys wireless router that connects to Internet through
a wired port.
8 answers Last reply
More about device connect home wired ethernet

    MMM42 wrote:

    > Is there any wireless device (802.11 type. compatible with WiFi
    > hot spots) that would interface to the outside WiFi network and
    > connect local devices with Ethernet cable, i.e. it would act as a
    > router, firewall for local wired dekstops/laptops and provide access
    > to Internet through a single 802.11 port. It would be a *reverse* of
    > the popular Linksys wireless router that connects to Internet through
    > a wired port.

    It's not clear what exactly you're looking for that a Linksys, Netgear,
    Belkin, or other brand of WAP with switch doesn't provide.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 15:05:28 -0500, in alt.internet.wireless , "J. Clarke"
    <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:

    >MMM42 wrote:
    >

    >> Is there any wireless device (802.11 type. compatible with WiFi
    >> hot spots) that would interface to the outside WiFi network and
    >> connect local devices with Ethernet cable, i.e. it would act as a
    >> router, firewall for local wired dekstops/laptops and provide access
    >> to Internet through a single 802.11 port. It would be a *reverse* of
    >> the popular Linksys wireless router that connects to Internet through
    >> a wired port.
    >
    >It's not clear what exactly you're looking for that a Linksys, Netgear,
    >Belkin, or other brand of WAP with switch doesn't provide.

    He wants to connect wirelessly to someone else's wireless network. A
    wireless router provides wireless on the LAN side, not on the WAN side.

    To the OP: you could (probably) do this with a wireless AP that can act as
    a client, which you would then have to plug into the WAN port of an
    ordinary router. I've never tried it.
    --
    Mark McIntyre

  3. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 15:05:28 -0500, "J. Clarke"
    <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:

    >MMM42 wrote:
    >

    >> Is there any wireless device (802.11 type. compatible with WiFi
    >> hot spots) that would interface to the outside WiFi network and
    >> connect local devices with Ethernet cable, i.e. it would act as a
    >> router, firewall for local wired dekstops/laptops and provide access
    >> to Internet through a single 802.11 port. It would be a *reverse* of
    >> the popular Linksys wireless router that connects to Internet through
    >> a wired port.
    >
    >It's not clear what exactly you're looking for that a Linksys, Netgear,
    >Belkin, or other brand of WAP with switch doesn't provide.

    Are you saying that I can take a wireless router like Linksys WRT54G
    that mentions only one interface to backbone Internet through its
    wired Ethernet port and then use it in reverse, i.e. use its wireless
    interface for backbone Internet and connect a laptop to the router
    with an Ethernet cable. Manual does not mention such a setup.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    MMM42 wrote:

    > On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 15:05:28 -0500, "J. Clarke"
    > <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >>MMM42 wrote:
    >>

    >>> Is there any wireless device (802.11 type. compatible with WiFi
    >>> hot spots) that would interface to the outside WiFi network and
    >>> connect local devices with Ethernet cable, i.e. it would act as a
    >>> router, firewall for local wired dekstops/laptops and provide access
    >>> to Internet through a single 802.11 port. It would be a *reverse* of
    >>> the popular Linksys wireless router that connects to Internet through
    >>> a wired port.
    >>
    >>It's not clear what exactly you're looking for that a Linksys, Netgear,
    >>Belkin, or other brand of WAP with switch doesn't provide.
    >>

    > Are you saying that I can take a wireless router like Linksys WRT54G
    > that mentions only one interface to backbone Internet through its
    > wired Ethernet port and then use it in reverse, i.e. use its wireless
    > interface for backbone Internet and connect a laptop to the router
    > with an Ethernet cable. Manual does not mention such a setup.

    Connect the laptop to one of the switch ports. The WRT54G has four of them.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  5. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 19:25:22 -0500, "J. Clarke"
    <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:

    >Connect the laptop to one of the switch ports. The WRT54G has four of them.

    It has also one port for power supply!??%^*^??
    Frankly, leave the subject to folks who know more about wireless.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    MMM42 wrote:

    > On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 19:25:22 -0500, "J. Clarke"
    > <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:
    >

    >>Connect the laptop to one of the switch ports. The WRT54G has four of
    >>them.
    >>

    > It has also one port for power supply!??%^*^??
    > Frankly, leave the subject to folks who know more about wireless.

    I'm not sure I understand what point you think you are making about having a
    port for the power supply. The device in question, if you will be kind
    enough to go to the Netgear site and look at the datasheet, is a
    multipurpose device combining a four port Fast Ethernet switch, an 802.11g
    WAP, and a NAT router with some other bells and whistles providing a fifth
    Ethernet port. He can connect his laptop to any of the four ports of the
    Fast Ethernet switch and it will be able to access devices connected via
    802.11g.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  7. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    "MMM42" <MMM42@nospam2.com> wrote in message

    > Is there any wireless device (802.11 type. compatible with WiFi
    > hot spots) that would interface to the outside WiFi network and
    > connect local devices with Ethernet cable, i.e. it would act as a
    > router, firewall for local wired dekstops/laptops and provide access
    > to Internet through a single 802.11 port. It would be a *reverse* of
    > the popular Linksys wireless router that connects to Internet through
    > a wired port.

    What you want is a wireless bridge. Linksys, DLink, and I would bet many
    others make them. The ideal one would be one that is the same manufacturer
    as the WAP of the originating network.

    Mark McIntyre ha scritto:

    > He wants to connect wirelessly to someone else's wireless network. A
    > wireless router provides wireless on the LAN side, not on the WAN side.
    >
    > To the OP: you could (probably) do this with a wireless AP that can act as
    > a client, which you would then have to plug into the WAN port of an
    > ordinary router. I've never tried it.

    Im doing this with a dlink 604+ adsl wireless router and a dlink 900ap+
    setup as an AP client. But if you do this, you *cant* use the AP in
    client mode as an AP, so your wireless cards wont connect to it
    (only the ethernet port would work).

    You must setup it as a bridge, and it's *really* better if you use same
    brand (dlink with dlink, linksys with linksys etc..).
    I successfully used a linksys AP as a client of the dlink router, but
    i couldnt use it as a bridge

Ethernet Card Devices Internet Wireless Networking