Best Socket 7 platfrom

G

What would people widely herald as the best Socket 7 mobo? I need one which I can use a AMD K6-III+ in and I want an AGP slot. Otherwise I am pretty flexible. I was looking to see what one has the highest FSB possibility. Also which one has the closest FSB ramping speeds (100, 105, 110, 115, 120, etc). Finally I don't want it to be too expensive. But, please, give me feedback on any of the items I am interested in. I know it's a dead platform but I am interested nonetheless. Thanks.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have a soltek sl54-u1 running an amd k63+450 as we speak. It is my workbench computer ( I have 3 pc's a p3 750@825, an Athalon 850 and it)

It would not be fair to say it is the best due to my limited experiences with the k63+ it runs very very well on that board. The board has along with the standard 66.6,75,83.3,95,and 100 mhz bus settings, settings for 112,124 and 133 as well. My current settings are:

2.1volts
112 FSB
4.5 multiplier
-----------------------
504 mhz

I can and have succesfully run this chip at 100 X 5.5 for 550 but I test higher all around running at 504 with 112 FSB.
I get a cpumark99 score of 56.2 which is dam good for any socket 7 cpu and plain spanks most celerons as well. If you are curious as to a full set of winbench test drop me an email and I will send them to you. A couple of things I must add about this cpu however for there are alot of myths circulating around about it right now. First, just because your mobo runs the k6-2 or k6-3 does not mean that it will boot with this cpu I have had several boards that would not. You need to make sure you mobo manufactorer has a bios thats supports it. Second, it does not contain the athlon fpu unit as some people say but the fpu of the k6-2,3. This is a real bummer. Still dollar for dollar if you already have a mobo that will run it it is well worth the money, you can pick them up right now for 64 bucks.

G

Ali Aladdin V: Fastest. Gigabyte 5AX or ASUS P5A are the best

VIA MVP3: Slower, but not in cases where it has 2MB of Level 2 Cache. EPoX MVPG5 is the best

I prefer ALi, but needs the latest AGP drivers!

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
From what I have read, the Asus P5A is the best. But I got one and wasn't impressed. I had a lot of problems. People have told me that I must have gotten a bad board because no one else has had the problems that I have had with it.
That was the last thing I ever bought at a computer show.

G

Thanks for the help. I might try these recommendations at a later date because I have a K6-III+ successfully running at 500MHz (83.3MHZ FSB) in my HP 6343 at 2.0V and 2.0x (which equals 6.0x) multiplier. I have another to try for 600MHz in my PC Chips M590 board system.

G

I did a lot of reading and checked on availability in my aera and came up with the Epox MVP3 G5. The biggest reason was that it is probably the only socket 7 board that supports Ultra DMA 66.

It just flies and it performs comparably to the current Socket A boards which cost twice as much

BrianL

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Your PC Chips 590 board will only hit 90 Mhz at the 100 Mhz setting so the best you will get at the CPU is 540 Mhz. They fibbed a little bit and the chipset is only rated at 83.3 Mhz

G

Does anybody have any expeince with the PC Chips M590 and the K6-III+ 450? I got the K6-III+ working fine in that HP 6343 (although it calls it a K5!), but I can't get the K6-III+ to get past the Bios on the PC Chips M590. Any ideas?

BrianL

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I picked this up on another board from a very reliable source and it refers to installing a 500 Mhz chip on a 590 board so it may be applicable in your situation

"You need to set the CPU page to "User" mode, and then 2.2V, 2.0x, and 83 MHz for the K6-2/500. WARNING: Set the CPU parameters to something compatible with your new processor, or to "Auto", _BEFORE_ putting the new CPU in. (Note that "Auto" won't detect the speed grade, just the vendor and model.)"

BrianL

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
And yet another response

I doubt that there is any support for this CPU in the Bios, so CPU-PNP will not work.
You'll have to set the values manually.
Clear CMOS and install a known CPU (the one he had before). Now Enter CMOS and set the values to 2.0V, 66MHz(!) and x3 for a start.
Save and power down.
Now install the K6/3+ and check if that works. If it does, you may try to change the multiplier to x2 (=x6). If that still works, you may try higher bus speeds. If that locks the system up, set the PCI Bus speed to FSB/2 instead of fixed 33MHz.
NOTE: THIS DOES OVERCLOCK PCI, AGP and IDE AND YOUR SYSTEM MAY ACT FUNNY.

Still some features of the CDPU may be disabled due to lack of Bios-Support. Use third party software.