RoE: So far so good

Last response: in Video Games
April 5, 2005 5:26:11 AM

I picked up Resurrection of Evil this afternoon. I'm up to the Phobos
Labs. So far, I'm enjoying the game. Here are some random comments
(POSSIBLE SPOILERS):

The maps certainly have a bit more breathing room than D3. The mood,
atmosphere, and lighting style resemble the better parts of D3.

The double shotgun is the weapon of choice here.

I'm unsure what I think about the artifact. I have 2 of the 3 powers.
Seems potent, but I miss the soul cube (if anything for the health tap).

The gravity gun (or whatever they called it) is also quite useful. It
works directly on lost souls, trites, and those crawling babies with
wings. A good ammo saver. The implementation is just different enough
from HL2 that I quickly stopped making comparisons.

The part where you have to run through the toxic area was rather tedious.
It took me many tries to get through it and it wasn't particularly
interesting.

It took me quite a while to figure out how to kill the 2nd hunter.

The PDA stuff is mercifully toned down from D3 - hardly any audio logs to
sit through.

--
sda_mail Scott | Yields over 30 blasts or
@comcast.net Amspoker | 80 gentle honks per charge!

More about : roe good

April 5, 2005 12:52:35 PM

Has anyone actually figured out how to use the grabber to brings to you?
With the way it's implemented, it's next to impossible for me to grab
something, bring it in and then use the right mouse button to drop it.
AS soon as I try to let go of the left button to hit the right button,
it, of course, shoots the object away. I must be doing something wrong
here. Any ideas???

Scott Amspoker wrote:
> I picked up Resurrection of Evil this afternoon. I'm up to the Phobos
> Labs. So far, I'm enjoying the game. Here are some random comments
> (POSSIBLE SPOILERS):
>
> The maps certainly have a bit more breathing room than D3. The mood,
> atmosphere, and lighting style resemble the better parts of D3.
>
> The double shotgun is the weapon of choice here.
>
> I'm unsure what I think about the artifact. I have 2 of the 3 powers.
> Seems potent, but I miss the soul cube (if anything for the health tap).
>
> The gravity gun (or whatever they called it) is also quite useful. It
> works directly on lost souls, trites, and those crawling babies with
> wings. A good ammo saver. The implementation is just different enough
> from HL2 that I quickly stopped making comparisons.
>
> The part where you have to run through the toxic area was rather tedious.
> It took me many tries to get through it and it wasn't particularly
> interesting.
>
> It took me quite a while to figure out how to kill the 2nd hunter.
>
> The PDA stuff is mercifully toned down from D3 - hardly any audio logs to
> sit through.

Anonymous
April 5, 2005 1:57:25 PM

Clint <cfinch@swcp.com> wrote:

>Has anyone actually figured out how to use the grabber to brings to you?
> With the way it's implemented, it's next to impossible for me to grab
>something, bring it in and then use the right mouse button to drop it.
>AS soon as I try to let go of the left button to hit the right button,
>it, of course, shoots the object away. I must be doing something wrong
>here. Any ideas???

Pressing the reload key will make the grabber drop things. Alas, easier
said than done since you still have to be holding the fire key (which goes
against habit). For grabbing health packs, ammo, etc. the grabber works
like HL2's gravity gun. Simply grabbing it is enough to "use" the item.

I'm still trying to figure out how useful the grabber is against
revenants. It seems to merely deflect the missles (which is somewhat
useful in a pinch I suppose). It would be nice to grab and throw the
missles back.

Also, grenades seem to do more damage than before. Maybe I'm just getting
lucky with 'em. Unfortunately, my big strong-armed marine still can't
throw a grenade more than a few feet.

--
sda_mail Scott | Yields over 30 blasts or
@comcast.net Amspoker | 80 gentle honks per charge!
^ my email |
April 5, 2005 5:31:48 PM

Scott Amspoker <see_sig@nospam.com> wrote:

>I'm still trying to figure out how useful the grabber is against
>revenants. It seems to merely deflect the missles (which is somewhat
>useful in a pinch I suppose). It would be nice to grab and throw the
>missles back.

Correction. I was just able to deflect a revenant missle which then
decided to go after the revenant instead. Killed the SOB. Still, it
seems too iffy to depend on as a general strategy.

--
sda_mail Scott | Yields over 30 blasts or
@comcast.net Amspoker | 80 gentle honks per charge!
^ my email |
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 7:37:12 PM

On 4/5/2005 7:52 AM Clint brightened our day with:

> Has anyone actually figured out how to use the grabber to brings to
> you? With the way it's implemented, it's next to impossible for me to
> grab something, bring it in and then use the right mouse button to
> drop it. AS soon as I try to let go of the left button to hit the
> right button, it, of course, shoots the object away. I must be doing
> something wrong here. Any ideas???

Well I actually bound a second key to drop stuff (I have r and c bound
to reload). Even if I'm holding down the fire button if I hit c, it
drops. Useful for moving health packs around, rather than shooting them
into lava. Alternatively you can bring stuff to you and then just hold
it, after a certain amount of time it drops.

--
Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com