HP wizard and Mode lpt1:

My HP 5500 is hooked to lpt1. Here's the error message:
Printers Folder, "There was an error found when printing the document
"c:\millerlr\dwg\colors.dwg Model (1)" to LPT1:. Do you want to retry or
cancel the job?"

Under Win2k Pro I then began the HP troubleshooting wizard. It
suggests the Mode command as follows:
mode lpt1:,,p

However, that returns the following error:
Invalid parameter - lpt1:,,p

What to do?
Len Miller
--
To email reply, eradicate all threes in my SPAM guarded address.

Were you printing from AutoCAD? If so, what happens when you print from another
program? Has this happened before?

Sounds like the HP troubleshooting wizard is as useful as mammaries on a bull.
AFAIK, The DOS MODE command became obsolete with Windows NT/2000/XP, and the
MODE command sytax given by this reputed wizard is just plain incorrect... Ben
Myers

> Were you printing from AutoCAD? If so, what happens when you print from
another
> program? Has this happened before?

Yes, from Acad 2005. However, I've since reworked the printer definition
and have success. The MODE command, however, is puzzling but I'm not going
to lose sleep. Mode.com is on my C:\WINNT\system32\ directory, placed there
by my Win2k Pro installation.
mode.com 20,752 .a.. 7-24-02 6:00:00 am

> Sounds like the HP troubleshooting wizard is as useful as mammaries on a
bull.
> AFAIK, The DOS MODE command became obsolete with Windows NT/2000/XP, and
the
> MODE command sytax given by this reputed wizard is just plain incorrect...
Ben
> Myers
>
> On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 19:14:53 -0600, "Fatfreek" <mil3le3rlr@ark3ans3as.net>
> wrote:
>
> >My HP 5500 is hooked to lpt1. Here's the error message:
> >Printers Folder, "There was an error found when printing the document
> >"c:\millerlr\dwg\colors.dwg Model (1)" to LPT1:. Do you want to retry or
> >cancel the job?"
> >

> >Under Win2k Pro I then began the HP troubleshooting wizard. It
> >suggests the Mode command as follows:
> >mode lpt1:,,p
> >
> >However, that returns the following error:
> >Invalid parameter - lpt1:,,p
> >
> >What to do?
> >Len Miller
> >--
> >To email reply, eradicate all threes in my SPAM guarded address.

No surprise. AutoCAD retains the vestiges of its pre-Windows heritage.

The mode command may be in Win 2000 (I never looked), but the command syntax
given to you was just plain incorrect.

Well, you worked it out. That's what counts... Ben Myers