Xeon MB Compatibility

G

I've been thinking of making a PII Xeon box. Call it retro, but the HUGE on-die caches and really teeny prices make it a really tempting project. Anyone have infor regarding compatible (and hopefully common) dual motherboards? Anybody know much about the VRM for PII Xeon?

bashar
http://basketball-game.com

fractal

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have to admit that I too have fallen prey to the 'bragging rights' of having a dual xeon system. I recently bought a dual xeon motherboard off ebay for 150 bucks and a pair of processors for 110 bucks. I am also going through the learning curve on xeon VRM's (I still don't know whether I need a 5V or 12V unit nor do I know the why brand X is better/worse than brand Y on the VRM's) since I will need one to install the second proc. I also do not relish the thought of having to buy ECC ram for the system since none of what I have in any of my half dozen other systems will work in the xeon motherboard.

I am going to replace a BP6 with dual 400 MHz celerons with a dual 400 MHz xeon motherboard and honestly do not expect any noticable difference in performance from 8x the cache. I realize that I could buy a dual slot1 motherboard for about what I paid for a second hand dual xeon motherboard and could buy a pair of p3's twice as fast for a few bucks more than I paid for my xeons. I also realize that I would have had a faster system that way, but it would NOT have had the bragging rights that come with a dual xeon.

Welcome to the xeon bragging rights club. You can join the exclusive club for under 500 bucks, way down from earlier times. Just don't expect that you are buying anything more than braggin grights these days as p2 xeons are just plain slow.