Range question

My home is on a golf course and I would like to be able to use my
wireless network at the clubhouse.

I am probably about 500 yards from the clubhouse, maybe a little more.
I was looking at the Linksys Wireless-G Range Expander, 802.11g. It
seems to work like a repeater. If I put one outside my home and
another outside of the clubhouse, would it likely reach? Or is just
to great a distance?

Is there another wireless solution other than the Linksys?

Thanks!
5 answers Last reply
More about range question

    Shacky wrote:
    > My home is on a golf course and I would like to be able to use my
    > wireless network at the clubhouse.
    >
    > I am probably about 500 yards from the clubhouse, maybe a little more.
    > I was looking at the Linksys Wireless-G Range Expander, 802.11g. It
    > seems to work like a repeater. If I put one outside my home and
    > another outside of the clubhouse, would it likely reach? Or is just
    > to great a distance?
    >
    > Is there another wireless solution other than the Linksys?
    >
    > Thanks!

    For that kind of distance you'll more than likely need some directional
    antennas. 500 yds *with unobstructed line of sight* is no problem at all
    with the right equipment, but with my limited experience with Linksys I
    can't answer your specific question. I have links working 24/7 at much
    greater distances using a little higher end stuff.

    I'm a newbie at this. Could you give me a little more detail on the
    "higher end stuff"?

    Thanks

    You could get a couple of Linksys wap11s, buy a RP-TNC RF pigtail adapter
    cable for each (they come in different lengths) but I figured this using
    about 10 foot on each end. Put your waps inside and mount an antenna outside
    using the cable. An 8 to 12db directional patch antenna on each end should
    give you good reception. Run the Wap11 at your house as an AP Client (you
    wont be able to use it with your wireless stuff at home) and the one at the
    club as and AP. There are multple products you could use to do this, I dont
    thing the W G R expander could handle that though. The nice thing about the
    AP client mode is that you only need 2 devices, if you used bridges you
    would need 2 bridges and an access point.

    my 2 cents

    Shacky wrote:

    > I'm a newbie at this. Could you give me a little more detail on the
    > "higher end stuff"?

    This is the brand I've used the most:
    http://www.smartbridges.com
    which can be purchased from several vendors such as www.electro-comm.com.

    They have outdoor equipment that does away with a lot of the headaches
    of making links like yours. There are other brands, such as Tranzeo that
    are also pretty reasonable in price. This type of equipment isn't the
    usual "OfficeMax" level but isn't way up into the stratosphere either.

    You didn't exactly go over the details of what you are wanting to
    accomplish, but this equipment can do 500 yds standing on it's head (so
    to speak).

    On 7 Nov 2004 16:03:20 -0800, scott@shackleton.net (Shacky) wrote:

    >My home is on a golf course and I would like to be able to use my
    >wireless network at the clubhouse.
    >
    >I am probably about 500 yards from the clubhouse, maybe a little more.
    > I was looking at the Linksys Wireless-G Range Expander, 802.11g. It
    >seems to work like a repeater. If I put one outside my home and
    >another outside of the clubhouse, would it likely reach? Or is just
    >to great a distance?
    >
    >Is there another wireless solution other than the Linksys?
    >
    >Thanks!

    ============
    You will need more then just the Expander to reach out at that
    distance...directional antennas is the way to go and you still may
    need a repeater ....

    I just hooked up a WRE54G expander this weekend and It took almost the
    entire weekend to get everything up and working... (200 feet distance
    BTW) ....

    Had to upgrade the firmware in my router (WRT54G) to the "new"
    version.... after that I lost the connection on every single computer
    on the network ... So I had to reconfigure every computer to "see"
    the router ...

    Now I have everything working BUT still need to spend some time today
    making sure ... one of the laptops will hook up using the lowest
    signal it finds IF I wander to the other side of the house ...need to
    find the Best place to place the Expander to avoid this etc...

    And I have a little concern about those lights on the
    expander...(honest not one word in the manual about them..) the one
    light seems to be red more then it is blue...???? plus when using
    the software instead of pressing the auto configure button on the
    expander IS still a mystery to me...)... software could not find a
    wireless card in ANY of my 4 wireless computers....??????

    I had to have spoken to at least 10 individuals at Tech Support...and
    I could only really understand ONE of them.....the other NINE had
    accents that made the conversation a chore... To their credit I was
    not on hold more then a minute on any of the calls however.. Wonder
    what luck I will have today with them because I still have some issues
    ....lol

    Bob Griffiths.

Wireless Wireless Network Linksys Wireless Networking