Sign in with
Your question

Black Ops first thoughts

Last response: in Video Games
November 9, 2010 2:24:47 AM

Hey guys! I was hoping you people are going to give first thoughts/opinions on Black ops? Also, tell us if you are attending the Midnight release, downloading at home, or going to pick it up on a later date?

More about : black ops thoughts

November 9, 2010 1:52:51 PM

I attended a midnight release last night. There of course were a TON of people at the Gamestop that I was at, whereas a buddy of mine went across the street to Best Buy without a preorder and was able to get a copy as well, only about 20 or so people there.

I did get to play about an hour last night before hitting the sack and it definitely feels like MW2, but there were a couple things I noticed right off. I am on the PS3 as well.

I haven't checked out the single player campaign yet. Went straight online. You start out initially with a bit less that MW2, but of course leveling through the first few levels is quick and easy.

The one thing that'll be really fun for me is unlocking all the different weapons and seeing the new goods that way. The graphics seemed to be not as good for some reason. Anyone else think this? The maps do seem to have more color however from the last one. Animation seems smooth and controls are as tight as ever. For the short time I played it was very enjoyable.
November 9, 2010 4:53:28 PM

game seems mediocre at best

i got it on PC i have it maxed settings with 16x AA and 16x AF and max textures

game graphics look really mediocre at best....then as for the gameplay....its typical CoD gameplay super fast paced chaos shooting run and gun ***

i still think BFBC2 is 100x better
Related resources
November 9, 2010 4:56:57 PM

jasonp12 said:
game seems mediocre at best

i got it on PC i have it maxed settings with 16x AA and 16x AF and max textures

game graphics look really mediocre at best....then as for the gameplay....its typical CoD gameplay super fast paced chaos shooting run and gun ***

i still think BFBC2 is 100x better

Ohh, wasn't expecting that, though feedback would have said "kick ass"
Will try it soon anyway.
November 9, 2010 7:06:43 PM

No thanks to Amazon and their "release date delivery" it seems I won't be able to play until this afternoon. I've been bored all day (sorry, I know that's sad).

Gametrailers, a site I generally trust for reviews gave it a 9.3, which is very good in my opinion. However, it's still looks like a cookie cutter Call of Duty game anyway. Having said that, from what I've seen in previews, Treyarch has tried to listen to the community to improve the multiplayer experience. The singleplayer is just another CoD adrenaline filled rush from one interactive movie scene to another.

Also, my friend who I'm Skyping with right now says he's having frame rate issues, and upon Googling, he's not the only one. His system is more than capable for handling the game (3ghz c2d, 6gb ram, gtx460).
November 9, 2010 8:53:43 PM

Yeah, I'm not even bothering with buying the game... lol at least for another few months.

The graphics I expected, on all the trailers, previews, and leaked info, it was obvious it was going to have bad Graphics, it is based on the last game Treyarch made for COD.... nothing new, no DX 10/11....
November 9, 2010 11:44:11 PM

The PC is buggy as hell. it stutters in MP and SP and lags are killing me. I am not the only one with these issue's with the PC release either. PC users got hosed on this one. I hope TREYARCH releases a patch to fix this soon.
November 10, 2010 12:00:13 AM

Doesn't suprise me....

This is Activision and Treyarch's make or break moment... If they don't give us a good game, the bottom will fall out of COD... two bad games isn't good for sales ^^
November 10, 2010 1:27:35 PM

Just had the PC copy. The game lags, too bad I was expecting it would be a great game. I'm quite disappointed with the poor optimization
November 13, 2010 11:09:27 AM

is the graphics better than MW2? or is it poor just like medal of honor 2010
November 13, 2010 6:17:57 PM

The graphics are bad, what do you mean poor like moh? moh is a bit arcade in the rendering, but nice graphics...
November 13, 2010 6:54:20 PM

Hey, ya, the graphics are a bit below MW2 but overall I like the MP. It's fun and lots of stuff. The patch help a lot but still not perfect. Single player is still crapped with bugs. Which sucks. Love the story but bugs ruin it for me.
November 13, 2010 6:59:04 PM

My friends get 2FPS, 5970, 6870, 5770, Mobile GTX 460.... something is wrong here.... alot of peeps are getting low FPS.
November 14, 2010 3:12:28 AM

Well, played it yesterday, for 3 hours long, didn't get bored, was shocked about the fps at the beginning then, as progressing throughout the story it kept 60 fps [refresh rate]..
but there are some spikes but no great deal, sometimes 40, 45 - 60 =, the graphics are fine, and the story play is fine too.
But anyways i hope the patch will make it better -
November 14, 2010 6:05:20 PM

they shouldn't have to put out a patch this early, other then minor bugs and weapon tweaks....
November 15, 2010 2:58:58 AM

The patch doesn't seem to do whats intended for it-
Black ops still not smooth-
November 15, 2010 4:41:33 AM

Ha, I'm loving my decision to wait, saved me 60 bucks :) 
!