Sign in with
Your question

Starcraft 2 fps issue

Last response: in Video Games
November 10, 2010 11:29:18 AM

For some reason SC2 does not want to run well on my PC even though, i beat all the recommended requirements to play. I've asked on a few other sites and have only gotten lame answers. I'm hoping someone here can steer me in the right direction. My PC components are:
Radeon 4850HD (512mb i believe)
4 gigs of RAM (ddr2 1066)
P5QL PRO MBoard (FSB 1333)
Dual Core 2.8gig CPU.

I bought it about 3 years ago, so while its a bit out of date it should still run the game with little problems.I see benchmarks of that card doing better on ultra then i get on the lowest settings possible. Is there anything i can do, or run to try to alleviate these issues? Any help is much appreciated.

More about : starcraft fps issue

November 10, 2010 7:46:23 PM

This topic has been moved from the section Opinions and Experiences to section Video Games by Buwish
November 11, 2010 12:12:20 AM

They probably have a full gig of VRam....
Related resources
November 11, 2010 8:54:42 AM

What's your CPU? Please be specific. A 2.8 GHz dual core can be any number of models.
November 11, 2010 8:13:15 PM

Intel core 2 duo E7400
November 11, 2010 9:02:44 PM

Gpu bottleneck then, my friend has the same problem , try upgrading vram
November 11, 2010 10:28:16 PM

Well did you turn the visual settings down? I know thats a dumb question but lets start from the beginning?

Also, make sure your VSYNC is OFF
November 12, 2010 12:25:21 AM

Yes i did , all the way down actually. How do i go about upgrading vram?
November 12, 2010 12:52:53 AM

romulus120 said:
Yes i did , all the way down actually. How do i go about upgrading vram?

Vram is on the graphic card itself and the only way to upgrade it is to change the graphic card.
November 12, 2010 1:13:51 AM

Ok so you confirmed that Vsync is off?

What resolution is your monitor? It doesn't sound to me like that 4850 should be running that horribly... I think a setting is whacko, or drivers not updated or something screwy. You have background applications off correct? Is full screen mode on?
November 12, 2010 1:26:31 AM

Mousemonkey said:
Vram is on the graphic card itself and the only way to upgrade it is to change the graphic card.

ahh sorry, misphrased that, try going into Windows and dedicating more ram(usually via Paging some of the RAM)(or add more ram)... lol fail...
November 12, 2010 2:12:08 AM

I don't get the "low paged pool memory" error anymore, but i guess allocating more couldn't hurt. I play on 1200-900 i believe or somewhere close to that. Full screen mode is on, and i have all updated drivers. And yes all background apps are off i believe. I wish i could tell you guys more, I'm not too computer savvy though.
November 12, 2010 3:21:31 AM

try opening "task manager" you didn't list an OS, sooo it is Ctrl alt del and select Task Manager for Win7/vista, XP is Ctrl alt del.... look on the list "user name" and end all the tasks with YOUR user name, except for CCC.exe, MOM.exe, Explorer.exe and Taskmgr.exe(you'll end task manager that way ^^) all of the vital ones should either not allow you, or restart...
But before you do that, try looking at the bottom, it says "phsyical memory"(win7/vista) or "Installed Memory" (XP); tell us the percentage of used memory (while running SC2, please) or the ram installed being used... Do a before/after, too...

Edit: try this too http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_i...
November 12, 2010 1:34:02 PM

That's actually the site used to fix it from win xp. I upgraded to 7, so that's what I'm currently on and i no longer get that error. I think 7 just allocates more to the game, but I'll do what you said and get back to you.
November 12, 2010 1:43:50 PM

Ok i just checked the memory. It's at 17% before, then it jumps to about 45% while playing and goes back to 18% after.
November 12, 2010 4:57:05 PM

ahhhh then you SHOULD be fine.... I'm thinking this is a driver issue.... except you tried that.... hmmm, try shooting an e-mail to Blizzard, for fun....

What site did you get your benchmarks from?
November 12, 2010 5:20:54 PM

I talked to blizzard, they wanted to see some files, then she told me to try and run a Microsoft tool that checks ram for errors, but i haven't run it yet. I'm not sure I'll find it for you and post it here. Could be a heating issue? Maybe my video card has dust or something?
November 12, 2010 7:29:03 PM

If you want to know temps, I advise, Speccy, PC wizard 2010, or speedfan.... The most in depth about your whole PC is PC wizard, I advise just getting it for everything it does....

You'd have to check the GPU temps to see if it is high for your GPU... I did some Googling to find out the average temp, and found this thread (irony it is from toms.... lol) http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/252034-33-average-tem... I couldn't find anything better.....

Go ahead and run the test, you'll have it as a future reference, so if you contact them they'll give you a new thing to try....

Btw, on the level of detail you should be able to do Ultra, my mate has a45XX(mobile) and gets 60FPS(vsync enabled) at 720P.... 1 gig though... can you find out if it is a gig, or not?
November 13, 2010 1:17:22 AM

its 512mb, but should it make that much of a difference? I mean i know the 1 gig will obviously run better but is it THAT big of a difference? From everything we've discussed do you have any idea what could be wrong, or where the bottleneck is coming from?
November 13, 2010 3:22:24 AM

Try going, start, right click computer, properties, windows experience index, tell us both the graphics.
November 13, 2010 2:00:39 PM

they are both 7.4 my lowest is a 5.3 and its the primary hard disk.
November 13, 2010 4:01:58 PM

Check the tech support forums on starcraft2.com, certain AMD cards are experiencing issues with the latest sc2 update, and theres a few posts depending on the card with fixes.
November 13, 2010 6:16:30 PM

hrrrrr, I'd do what Selks said ^^.
November 13, 2010 8:14:04 PM

Atotalnoob said:
If you want to know temps, I advise, Speccy, PC wizard 2010, or speedfan.... The most in depth about your whole PC is PC wizard, I advise just getting it for everything it does....

You'd have to check the GPU temps to see if it is high for your GPU... I did some Googling to find out the average temp, and found this thread (irony it is from toms.... lol) http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/252034-33-average-tem... I couldn't find anything better.....

Go ahead and run the test, you'll have it as a future reference, so if you contact them they'll give you a new thing to try....

Btw, on the level of detail you should be able to do Ultra, my mate has a45XX(mobile) and gets 60FPS(vsync enabled) at 720P.... 1 gig though... can you find out if it is a gig, or not?

+1. Check your temps. Had the same issue happen to me. Can usually tell if it is your temps if game play starts out smooth and then your fps drops as your temps go up. I used it as an excuse to build a new system...
November 13, 2010 9:48:45 PM

romulus120 said:
its 512mb, but should it make that much of a difference? I mean i know the 1 gig will obviously run better but is it THAT big of a difference? From everything we've discussed do you have any idea what could be wrong, or where the bottleneck is coming from?

Ok once again, can you confirm that the Vsnc box is NOT checked please? Also, regarding the 512mb, what resolution are you running at? Are you running it in fullscreen mode?

It does sound like a driver issue, do other games run OK? I wish I could see your game settings, and yea checking GPU temps would be a good idea, this game can really push your video card. If heat is an issue, there is a way to cap your FPS I can help you do that. In otherwords you set your FPS max at like 30-50, and your card won't burn itself up trying to do more than that.
November 13, 2010 9:55:28 PM

Quote:
Ok once again, can you confirm that the Vsnc box is NOT checked please
duude how long have you been asking that... lol I feel sorry for you!
November 13, 2010 10:02:13 PM

Wow thats quite a response for someone that was trying to help you. Guess you can find help elsewhere kid.
I was testing this game since beta and figuring out solutions, I'm done wasting time with you though "atotalnoob"
November 13, 2010 10:12:22 PM

Quote:
Wow thats quite a response for someone that was trying to help you. Guess you can find help elsewhere kid.
I was testing this game since beta and figuring out solutions, I'm done wasting time with you though "atotalnoob"
ah, I meant it as you being ignored.... But ok, doesn't matter to me....

Soo you got a beta? so....?

Vsync isn't a solution
November 13, 2010 10:57:10 PM

no vsync is not checked and it is full screen. I believe it's on 1200X900. I'll check the temps then, thanks for all the help guys :p 
November 14, 2010 2:21:41 AM

Atotalnoob said:
Quote:
ah, I meant it as you being ignored.... But ok, doesn't matter to me....

Soo you got a beta? so....?

Vsync isn't a solution

Wow I owe you an apology, I thought you were the OP... Sorry

And yes Vsync makes a huge difference in SC2 for some reason. I completely understood I thought you were the original posted and telling me you laughing and felt sorry for me.

*takes foot out of mouth*
November 14, 2010 6:07:36 PM

Quote:
Wow I owe you an apology, I thought you were the OP... Sorry
Np dude, we all make mistakes....
Quote:
And yes Vsync makes a huge difference in SC2 for some reason. I completely understood I thought you were the original posted and telling me you laughing and felt sorry for me.
hmm odd.... w/e I don't own the game...

Quote:
*takes foot out of mouth*
Daily vitamins.... plus it is free =p
!