Linksys WUSB54G - Work okay?

I am considering detaching my home office dasktop computer from my WRT54G
router, moving the WRT54G and cable modem to a more centrally-located part
of the house, and installing a WUSB54G on my desktop. Please answer the
following:
1. Can I operate at near full speed up to 50' from the WRT54G?
2. Can I use WPA encryption?
3. Is the setup fast enough for online game play on the desktop?

Dave G
7 answers Last reply
More about linksys wusb54g work okay

    On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 18:30:40 GMT, "Dave G" <dgrinne1@tampabay.rr.com>
    wrote:

    >I am considering detaching my home office dasktop computer from my WRT54G
    >router, moving the WRT54G and cable modem to a more centrally-located part
    >of the house, and installing a WUSB54G on my desktop. Please answer the
    >following:
    >1. Can I operate at near full speed up to 50' from the WRT54G?
    >2. Can I use WPA encryption?
    >3. Is the setup fast enough for online game play on the desktop?
    >
    >Dave G

    Ask the salesman or the linksys site.

    But then, I don't understand two wireless routers, or what "detaching
    my...computer from my WRT54G (which I have) router" means:)

    Detaching means to go from wired to wireless! What else?

    Dave G

    "avalanche" <bradleesnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 18:30:40 GMT, "Dave G" <dgrinne1@tampabay.rr.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I am considering detaching my home office dasktop computer from my WRT54G
    >>router, moving the WRT54G and cable modem to a more centrally-located part
    >>of the house, and installing a WUSB54G on my desktop. Please answer the
    >>following:
    >>1. Can I operate at near full speed up to 50' from the WRT54G?
    >>2. Can I use WPA encryption?
    >>3. Is the setup fast enough for online game play on the desktop?
    >>
    >>Dave G
    >>
    > Ask the salesman or the linksys site.
    >
    > But then, I don't understand two wireless routers, or what "detaching
    > my...computer from my WRT54G (which I have) router" means:)

    WUSB54G doesn't support WPA, but does support WEP 128 bit.
    WUSB54G requires WinXP or Win 2000.

    I can't comment on the speed/range yet, I guess it will depend on the
    obstructions and local intereference.

    "Dave G" <dgrinne1@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
    >I am considering detaching my home office dasktop computer from my WRT54G
    >router, moving the WRT54G and cable modem to a more centrally-located part
    >of the house, and installing a WUSB54G on my desktop. Please answer the
    >following:
    > 1. Can I operate at near full speed up to 50' from the WRT54G?
    > 2. Can I use WPA encryption?
    > 3. Is the setup fast enough for online game play on the desktop?
    >
    > Dave G

    I just received my WUSB54G and in fact it does support WPA! It is working
    great.

    Dave G

    On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 13:45:23 GMT, "Dave G" <dgrinne1@tampabay.rr.com>
    wrote:

    >Detaching means to go from wired to wireless! What else?
    >
    >Dave G

    I guess I just don't understand. I just have a desktop wired to, and
    laptop receiving from, my WRT54G.

    Are you saying that after your move your desktop is now wireless thru
    the WUSB54G? This is my first wireless router. Does the WUSB54G act
    like whatever card (or whatever) is in my laptop receiving from the
    router...i.e. the two routers communicate wirelessly?

    Brad
    >"avalanche" <bradleesnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 18:30:40 GMT, "Dave G" <dgrinne1@tampabay.rr.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I am considering detaching my home office dasktop computer from my WRT54G
    >>>router, moving the WRT54G and cable modem to a more centrally-located part
    >>>of the house, and installing a WUSB54G on my desktop. Please answer the
    >>>following:
    >>>1. Can I operate at near full speed up to 50' from the WRT54G?
    >>>2. Can I use WPA encryption?
    >>>3. Is the setup fast enough for online game play on the desktop?
    >>>
    >>>Dave G
    >>>
    >> Ask the salesman or the linksys site.
    >>
    >> But then, I don't understand two wireless routers, or what "detaching
    >> my...computer from my WRT54G (which I have) router" means:)

    Yes. I disabled my "local area" network connection and set up the WUSB54G
    including my WPA key and it is communicating wirelessly with my WRT54G. My
    laptop (IBM Thinkpad) adapter and the WUSB54G adapter both communicate
    wirelessly with the WRT54G router. It is working great. It does not work
    well with online games however.

    Dave G

    "Avalanche" <bradleesnowScratchThis@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 13:45:23 GMT, "Dave G" <dgrinne1@tampabay.rr.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Detaching means to go from wired to wireless! What else?
    >>
    >>Dave G
    >>

    > I guess I just don't understand. I just have a desktop wired to, and
    > laptop receiving from, my WRT54G.
    >
    > Are you saying that after your move your desktop is now wireless thru
    > the WUSB54G? This is my first wireless router. Does the WUSB54G act
    > like whatever card (or whatever) is in my laptop receiving from the
    > router...i.e. the two routers communicate wirelessly?
    >
    > Brad
    >>"avalanche" <bradleesnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    >>> Ask the salesman or the linksys site.
    >>>
    >>> But then, I don't understand two wireless routers, or what "detaching
    >>> my...computer from my WRT54G (which I have) router" means:)

    Thanks.

    On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 16:47:01 GMT, "Dave G" <dgrinne1@tampabay.rr.com>
    wrote:

    >Yes. I disabled my "local area" network connection and set up the WUSB54G
    >including my WPA key and it is communicating wirelessly with my WRT54G. My
    >laptop (IBM Thinkpad) adapter and the WUSB54G adapter both communicate
    >wirelessly with the WRT54G router. It is working great. It does not work
    >well with online games however.
    >
    >Dave G
    >
    >"Avalanche" <bradleesnowScratchThis@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 13:45:23 GMT, "Dave G" <dgrinne1@tampabay.rr.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Detaching means to go from wired to wireless! What else?
    >>>
    >>>Dave G
    >>>

    >> I guess I just don't understand. I just have a desktop wired to, and
    >> laptop receiving from, my WRT54G.
    >>
    >> Are you saying that after your move your desktop is now wireless thru
    >> the WUSB54G? This is my first wireless router. Does the WUSB54G act
    >> like whatever card (or whatever) is in my laptop receiving from the
    >> router...i.e. the two routers communicate wirelessly?
    >>
    >> Brad
    >>>"avalanche" <bradleesnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Wireless Networking