Linksys WUSB54G - Work okay?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
November 8, 2004 9:30:40 PM

I am considering detaching my home office dasktop computer from my WRT54G
router, moving the WRT54G and cable modem to a more centrally-located part
of the house, and installing a WUSB54G on my desktop. Please answer the
following:
1. Can I operate at near full speed up to 50' from the WRT54G?
2. Can I use WPA encryption?
3. Is the setup fast enough for online game play on the desktop?

Dave G

More about : linksys wusb54g work

November 9, 2004 10:04:53 AM

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 18:30:40 GMT, "Dave G" <dgrinne1@tampabay.rr.com>
wrote:

>I am considering detaching my home office dasktop computer from my WRT54G
>router, moving the WRT54G and cable modem to a more centrally-located part
>of the house, and installing a WUSB54G on my desktop. Please answer the
>following:
>1. Can I operate at near full speed up to 50' from the WRT54G?
>2. Can I use WPA encryption?
>3. Is the setup fast enough for online game play on the desktop?
>
>Dave G

Ask the salesman or the linksys site.

But then, I don't understand two wireless routers, or what "detaching
my...computer from my WRT54G (which I have) router" means:)
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 4:45:23 PM

Detaching means to go from wired to wireless! What else?

Dave G

"avalanche" <bradleesnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 18:30:40 GMT, "Dave G" <dgrinne1@tampabay.rr.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I am considering detaching my home office dasktop computer from my WRT54G
>>router, moving the WRT54G and cable modem to a more centrally-located part
>>of the house, and installing a WUSB54G on my desktop. Please answer the
>>following:
>>1. Can I operate at near full speed up to 50' from the WRT54G?
>>2. Can I use WPA encryption?
>>3. Is the setup fast enough for online game play on the desktop?
>>
>>Dave G
>>
> Ask the salesman or the linksys site.
>
> But then, I don't understand two wireless routers, or what "detaching
> my...computer from my WRT54G (which I have) router" means:)
November 14, 2004 12:00:32 AM

WUSB54G doesn't support WPA, but does support WEP 128 bit.
WUSB54G requires WinXP or Win 2000.

I can't comment on the speed/range yet, I guess it will depend on the
obstructions and local intereference.

"Dave G" <dgrinne1@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
>I am considering detaching my home office dasktop computer from my WRT54G
>router, moving the WRT54G and cable modem to a more centrally-located part
>of the house, and installing a WUSB54G on my desktop. Please answer the
>following:
> 1. Can I operate at near full speed up to 50' from the WRT54G?
> 2. Can I use WPA encryption?
> 3. Is the setup fast enough for online game play on the desktop?
>
> Dave G

Anonymous
November 14, 2004 2:47:42 PM

I just received my WUSB54G and in fact it does support WPA! It is working
great.

Dave G

"nospam" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> WUSB54G doesn't support WPA, but does support WEP 128 bit.
> WUSB54G requires WinXP or Win 2000.
>
> I can't comment on the speed/range yet, I guess it will depend on the
> obstructions and local intereference.
>

> "Dave G" <dgrinne1@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
>>I am considering detaching my home office dasktop computer from my WRT54G
>>router, moving the WRT54G and cable modem to a more centrally-located part
>>of the house, and installing a WUSB54G on my desktop. Please answer the
>>following:
>> 1. Can I operate at near full speed up to 50' from the WRT54G?
>> 2. Can I use WPA encryption?
>> 3. Is the setup fast enough for online game play on the desktop?
>>
>> Dave G

November 15, 2004 1:07:14 AM

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 13:45:23 GMT, "Dave G" <dgrinne1@tampabay.rr.com>
wrote:

>Detaching means to go from wired to wireless! What else?
>
>Dave G

I guess I just don't understand. I just have a desktop wired to, and
laptop receiving from, my WRT54G.

Are you saying that after your move your desktop is now wireless thru
the WUSB54G? This is my first wireless router. Does the WUSB54G act
like whatever card (or whatever) is in my laptop receiving from the
router...i.e. the two routers communicate wirelessly?

Brad
>"avalanche" <bradleesnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 18:30:40 GMT, "Dave G" <dgrinne1@tampabay.rr.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I am considering detaching my home office dasktop computer from my WRT54G
>>>router, moving the WRT54G and cable modem to a more centrally-located part
>>>of the house, and installing a WUSB54G on my desktop. Please answer the
>>>following:
>>>1. Can I operate at near full speed up to 50' from the WRT54G?
>>>2. Can I use WPA encryption?
>>>3. Is the setup fast enough for online game play on the desktop?
>>>
>>>Dave G
>>>
>> Ask the salesman or the linksys site.
>>
>> But then, I don't understand two wireless routers, or what "detaching
>> my...computer from my WRT54G (which I have) router" means:)

Anonymous
November 15, 2004 7:47:01 PM

Yes. I disabled my "local area" network connection and set up the WUSB54G
including my WPA key and it is communicating wirelessly with my WRT54G. My
laptop (IBM Thinkpad) adapter and the WUSB54G adapter both communicate
wirelessly with the WRT54G router. It is working great. It does not work
well with online games however.

Dave G

"Avalanche" <bradleesnowScratchThis@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 13:45:23 GMT, "Dave G" <dgrinne1@tampabay.rr.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Detaching means to go from wired to wireless! What else?
>>
>>Dave G
>>

> I guess I just don't understand. I just have a desktop wired to, and
> laptop receiving from, my WRT54G.
>
> Are you saying that after your move your desktop is now wireless thru
> the WUSB54G? This is my first wireless router. Does the WUSB54G act
> like whatever card (or whatever) is in my laptop receiving from the
> router...i.e. the two routers communicate wirelessly?
>
> Brad
>>"avalanche" <bradleesnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> Ask the salesman or the linksys site.
>>>
>>> But then, I don't understand two wireless routers, or what "detaching
>>> my...computer from my WRT54G (which I have) router" means:)

November 15, 2004 10:52:33 PM

Thanks.

!