Intel Will Fully Update Celeron, Pentium to 32nm

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
The marketing that went into Celeron from an early stage is still effective today with the consumer market looking for value based systems. Not everyone needs an i3, i5 or i7 processor.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
[citation][nom]AndrewMD[/nom]The marketing that went into Celeron from an early stage is still effective today with the consumer market looking for value based systems. Not everyone needs an i3, i5 or i7 processor.[/citation]
That's a silly argument, no? The i3 is much slower than a C2D. Heck, the Celeron might even be faster than an i3. Celeron is the answer to a question nobody asked. Let it die.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
[citation][nom]wotan31[/nom]That's a silly argument, no? The i3 is much slower than a C2D. Heck, the Celeron might even be faster than an i3. Celeron is the answer to a question nobody asked. Let it die.[/citation]
the celeron is nowhere near as fast as an i3. single-core with 512kb of l2 cache? thats not even as fast as old P4's. even if you get a top notch celeron (dual core with 1mb cache), thats still not even as good as ur cheapest core 2 duo. but yes, let the celeron die please. Atoms should be the new cheap-line proc.

G

i wonder why anyone would buy a slow celeron when all those cheap AMDs are in the market :)

buddhav1

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
no matter how much they improve the Celeron, not one of you will buy it for anything. You are NOT Intel's target with the Celeron. If you just want to browse the Internet, check your email, and maybe play a few games on Pogo or Facebook, guess what? Celerons are just fine. Not everyone requires a damn quad core for Email.

People want cheaper computers, and the Celeron allows Intel room to improve on the budget end, which if you haven't noticed, AMD is slaughtering at. People that want the Intel name for cheap can get a Celeron, you'll get what you pay for, but you're not paying that much, and the chip will suffice for everyday purposes.

I'm so tired of every jackoff thinking they need a quad core/6-8GB/2TB/58xx system because they want to be able to check their email WHILE they're playing solitaire. I can do that and a whole lot more on my 5 year old craptop.

"I think I need that i7 chip in my laptop, Facebook has been lagging my system".

Really? Kill Yourself, people incapable of measuring their needs.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Celeron is a brand for simpletons and businesses.

Consumer A goes into a store and wants a laptop. The salesperson asks what they're going to do with it, and they respond with email, Facebook, and YouTube. The salesperson recommends a netbook, but no, netbooks are too slow, so they've heard. The salesperson recommends a notebook with an AMD processor, but no, Intel is better, so they've heard. The only thing left in the consumers price range is Celeron, and thus, another sale is made.

With businesses, these companies get stuck in ridiculous sales and service agreements with big names like HP or Dell. Company B needs 10,000 desktop computers. These are for marketing, finance, presentations, etc... Computer Retailer C recommends Celeron desktops, at the cheap cheap price of $1000/year 3-year leases. This is such a steal compared to $2000/year 4-year leases on "engineering" pcs with Core 2 processors that the order is immediately placed.

Really, I can't think of another scenario where a Celeron is ever purchased willingly.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
[citation][nom]rohitbaran[/nom]So, they are also catering to the low end. Well, at least improve the Celeron's performance.[/citation]
I could see them in notebooks and netbooks. Intel's power consumption has always been better than AMD's.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
“We will not take [32nm process technology and appropriate micro-architecture] down into the Pentium (...)"

Well, they actually did... when they launched the Core i3's and Dual Core i'5, they also lauched a 2.8 Ghz, 3Mb L2 Cache Pentium G6950... so, they are not quite right. They meant a full lineup, probably, and like someone said earlier, the same applies to the Celeron, which is available to OEM's right now.

WarraWarra

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2007
Why do they have about 1200+ models of cpu's instead of 3 or 6 per market segment ?
They should spend time mass producing usable cpu's instead like the 12 and 24 cores since the mid 1990's and stop manipulating the market / price fixing with old junk like this.

My mobile phone already has a 1ghz cpu in it so how long can they keep this celerons going ?

Tomorrows comments:
O mister your new Intel celeron pc is lamer / weaker than your 2 year old mobile phone ?? LMAO

Damn this sounds like Apple and their first / current Intel crap tops "overpriced laptops".

My satellite receiver box might still use something old like a 500mhz or 800mhz celeron cpu (media centre pc 8 years old pc).

It is obvious they are trying to squeeze the last bit of life out of stuff that should not work anymore.

Maybe if they stop changing the cpu socket 20 times in 1 year they could become more productive / competitive seeing very few can afford to spend $700-$900 for i3/i5/i7 6core box that barely has 3% to 5% performance increase over what they have had for the last 3 years "q9550".

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
[citation][nom]Marcus Yam[/nom]Amid all the talking about the Celeron's future[/citation]

Amid all the talk..........lets get something straight here you as in YOU Marcus Yam printed the following.

[citation][nom]Marcus Yam[/nom]Those Celerons aren't going to be kept up in the technology line up.[/citation]

Link

Please just admit you got it wrong.

G

Why not just pick one of the two brands to keep? At this point Pentium screams "low end" or "really f**king old"

Status
Not open for further replies.