Enable 32-bit disk access in BIOS of Pavilion a450n?

I have an 8-month-old HP Pavilion a450n desktop computer. This is a P4
3 GHz, 512 MB, 140 GB machine running WinXP SP2.

I have noticed that 32-bit disk access is disabled in the BIOS.

I was wondering....

* is it safe to enable 32-bit disk access?
* will it get me any performance boost?
* if the answer to the above is "yes," why does HP ship with this
feature disabled?

Thanks,
- Bob
1 answer Last reply
More about enable disk access bios pavilion a450n

    Answers: YES, YES, I don't know. Ask HP, and be prepared for a non-answer.
    Either HP is excessively conservative in the way they set up their computers, or
    slipshod in workmanship... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 19:18:17 GMT, rlw@rlw.best.vwh.net (Bob Weissman) wrote:

    >I have an 8-month-old HP Pavilion a450n desktop computer. This is a P4
    >3 GHz, 512 MB, 140 GB machine running WinXP SP2.
    >
    >I have noticed that 32-bit disk access is disabled in the BIOS.
    >
    >I was wondering....
    >
    >* is it safe to enable 32-bit disk access?
    >* will it get me any performance boost?
    >* if the answer to the above is "yes," why does HP ship with this
    > feature disabled?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >- Bob

Hewlett Packard BIOS Computers