Tyan KT-133 any trouble?

G

I'm building a system for my mother-in-law that I want to give her several years of minimal problems of service. I'm not looking for a mother of all gaming machines (I'll be doing one of those for myself pretty soon). She's got a P-120 now and I'm looking a putting together a Duron 700 with the budget she's got.

I've been rather disturbed to see how expensive motherboards are for the Duron/Athlon processors. In the past I could always get a good motherboard for about $70-$80. Now I see boards based on the KT-133 chipset for anyware from $110-$150.

Anyway, I've found a Tyan KT-133 motherboard at Egghead and that looks like a pretty good deal, but I've not been able to find it reviewed at Toms or anyware else. Like I said, I'm not looking to overclock or do anything too creative, I just want a cost effective stable board that will minimize the amount of tech support I have to provide.

Does anyone have anything good/bad to say about this board?

Thanks,
--ED

G

Ed,

Don't know whether this is the board you're thinking of, but I did a quick search on Hotbot and found a Tyan Trinity KT 133 (S2390) review at <A HREF="http://www.targetpc.com/hardware/motherboards/tyan_trinity_socketa/" target="_new">http://www.targetpc.com/hardware/motherboards/tyan_trinity_socketa/</A>. They give it a good rating, but I was disappointed to see that they only used a few sentences to describe how well it actually worked. Good board description, though.

I used to have a couple of Tyan Pentium boards that I really liked. Since then it seems that their board reviews haven't done so well...could be lack of overclocking...I don't remember.

Mike

G

this reply may be a bit late, but i've been running the tyan trinity board since early October, with no major problems, aside from the AIW Radeon driver bugs that keep it crashin'- i'm not overclocking or anything fancy like that- tbird 800 256mb 133mhz ram... only annoying point is the POST time is much higher than i think it should be- this is my second tyan board, and i'll probably get another next time i upgrade