REDUCING Range

I'm still concerned about the security of Wi-Fi. One way of reducing the
risk of an attack would be to reduce the range so that only the
building I want covered will be serviced with minimal service outside
that area.

Is it possible to lower the wattage of the router to achieve this?

--
Entropy1024
More about reducing range

    Entropy, reducing the power of your router will accomplish nothing in
    enhancing your WiFi security. The same goes for disabling your SSID.
    For corporate networks, MAC filtering may have some benefit, but it is
    pointless in a home network.

    The *only* way to secure your home network, or any WiFi network, is to
    use data encryption. WEP has been cracked yeas ago so there is no point
    in using it. WPA is secure as long as you use a long pass phrase with
    high entropy.

    Entropy1024 wrote:
    > I'm still concerned about the security of Wi-Fi. One way of reducing the
    > risk of an attack would be to reduce the range so that only the
    > building I want covered will be serviced with minimal service outside
    > that area.
    >
    > Is it possible to lower the wattage of the router to achieve this?

    On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 00:46:36 GMT, Entropy1024
    <Entropy1024.1ffht0@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> wrote:

    >I'm still concerned about the security of Wi-Fi. One way of reducing the
    >risk of an attack would be to reduce the range so that only the
    >building I want covered will be serviced with minimal service outside
    >that area.

    No problem. You need Wi-Fi wallpaper. See:
    Just plaster your office with this new type of wallpaper. 2.4GHz will
    be blocked while cellular, radio, and TV go right through. I'm not
    sure how you would handle the windows, ceiling, and floor with this
    wallpaper, but it seems like a good idea.

    >Is it possible to lower the wattage of the router to achieve this?

    Yes, but it's probably easier to remove the antenna and replace it
    with a paper clip. Either way, your signal will not just stop at the
    building walls, but slowly fade out. An attacker would simply need a
    much higher gain antenna than usual to get a useable signal. For
    example, if you reduce your TX power by 6dB, then an attacker would
    only need a 6dBi gain antenna to return the signal to its previous
    level.

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

    >I'm still concerned about the security of Wi-Fi. One way of reducing the
    >risk of an attack would be to reduce the range so that only the
    >building I want covered will be serviced with minimal service outside
    >that area.
    >
    >Is it possible to lower the wattage of the router to achieve this?

    Sure, on a .11b setup only check the box on the setup page that is
    "allow 11Mbps connections". This will reduce the effective size of
    your WLAN to 100' or less in many cases. 99% of long distance
    connections to your WiFi are 1-2Mbps so never allow connections at
    those rates.

    Certainly! I've got a Linksys WRT54G with a flashed
    firmware that allows you to adjust the transmission
    output. I live in an appartment building myself and
    it works very nicely to limit the range of your
    network.

    Mine is set from the default 28mW to 2mW. I get
    plenty of coverage I need in every room.

    As others have suggested, you need to ensure WEP/WAP
    is enabled as well as MAC filtering and disable SSID.

    If a hacker wants in and you give him/her enough reason
    to do it, trust me, they'll get in. The point is that
    you're using all the necessary tools to provide
    "reasonable" security.

    Good luck!

    Entropy1024 <Entropy1024.1ffht0@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> wrote in

    > I'm still concerned about the security of Wi-Fi. One way of reducing the
    > risk of an attack would be to reduce the range so that only the
    > building I want covered will be serviced with minimal service outside
    > that area.
    >
    > Is it possible to lower the wattage of the router to achieve this?

    I still do not understand the rational of why reducing the power output
    of the router, disabling SSID, or enabling MAC filtering will secure a
    WiFi network.

    The network is a cluster of radio transceivers. If you reduce the
    routers power output, the network cards in the computers will continue
    broadcasting at full power. Furthermore, they will continue
    broadcasting their SSID address, and MAC address in the clear, as per
    802.11x specifications. There is nothing risky or wrong with this, it
    is simply the way the network hardware devices communicate with each other.

    When we talk about security or securing a WiFi network, we are actually
    talking about securing the data stream which follows this hardware
    handshaking. The data contains our credit card numbers, bank
    statements, email ... things which we would rather not share with our
    neighbors. Once again, the *only* way to secure this transmitted data
    is to encrypt it.

    What amazes me is how trivial it is to encrypt this data, yet this
    encryption seems to be the last thing people think about.

    "Entropy1024" <Entropy1024.1ffht0@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au> wrote in
    message news:Entropy1024.1ffht0@no-mx.forums.yourdomain.com.au...

    > I'm still concerned about the security of Wi-Fi. One way of reducing the
    > risk of an attack would be to reduce the range so that only the
    > building I want covered will be serviced with minimal service outside
    > that area.
    >
    > Is it possible to lower the wattage of the router to achieve this?

    Yes.

    reducing power levels can be useful if you need to support more access
    points in a given area - you can limit the interference between different
    access points.

    this is suggested in one of the Cisco enterprise setup guides for wireless -
    so obviously they support it :). See:
    www.cisco.com/go/srnd

    Also, some of the ETSI (European) enhancements for 802.11 were designed to
    reduce power usage / sprectrum pollution by dynamically reducing the
    transmit power - 802.11h?

    FWIW, when the 5 GHz spectrum was initially allowed in the UK, it was
    illegal to use 802.11a out of doors until equipment supports and is
    configured for dynamic power control.

    --
    Regards

Wireless Networking