Sign in with
Your question

Formatting Before Installing Windows 7

Last response: in Windows 7
September 16, 2010 12:24:57 AM

It appears my Windows 7 installation has gotten corrupted and the mouse cursor freezes solid and I am forced to reboot. This happened after a bluescreen and crash which it appears is due to some bad and incompatable OCZ memory sticks with my ASUS P6T mb. I removed the bad sticks and just kept one good 2 gig stick and then retried to reinstall Windows over the old installation but it froze up during the installation. It was suggested that I reformat first, which I thought I did but the formatting seemed to only take a few seconds. I was told this was a quick format, not a thorough one. Windows did install and seemed to work fine but while trying to install my Antivirus, it went to a black screen and restarted with the "Windows Shut Down Abnormally" message. Sure enough I was back to the freezes again. I assume the reformat did not clean everything up.

How do I do a clean format and reinstall Windows 7? When I start the installation, I get a blue scene with contrails that lasts for several minutes. Then I am given the choice for language selection. I then select install, the advanced button, and then I see two partition choices, one for system and the main one. I highlighted the main one, then clicked a small format button. That only lasted a few seconds then Windows began installing with the steps highlighted with green checkmarks as it progressed. If I missed something here could someone walk me through a thorough format? I'm not that experienced. Thanks. Tom
September 16, 2010 3:04:19 AM

At the beginning of the install, when you are at the screen that shows you your partitions you delete the partition you used to have so that it will say "Unallocated space." Then you can click format and then create a new partion(s). Choose it to install Windows on.
m
l
a c 209 $ Windows 7
September 16, 2010 4:56:34 PM

When you get to the screen that shows the partitions you'll see a link near the bottom that says "Advanced...". Click that link to reveal options to delete and create partitions. You can then highlight the partitions you want to delete and click the "delete" link.

You don't need to actually format anything - Windows will do that automatically. Once you've deleted the partitions you don't want then just select the "unallocated space" portion and click the "Next" button - the installation program will then create a partition and format it for you.

I'd advise to make sure that you have not other hard drives connected while you do this. Windows creates a "System Reserved" partition that it boots from as part of the startup process, and if you have other drives connected with available space on them then the boot partition will be created there instead of on the OS drive. Most people prefer the OS drive to be the actual boot drive.
m
l
Related resources
September 17, 2010 12:15:57 AM

sminlal said:
When you get to the screen that shows the partitions you'll see a link near the bottom that says "Advanced...". Click that link to reveal options to delete and create partitions. You can then highlight the partitions you want to delete and click the "delete" link.

You don't need to actually format anything - Windows will do that automatically. Once you've deleted the partitions you don't want then just select the "unallocated space" portion and click the "Next" button - the installation program will then create a partition and format it for you.

I'd advise to make sure that you have not other hard drives connected while you do this. Windows creates a "System Reserved" partition that it boots from as part of the startup process, and if you have other drives connected with available space on them then the boot partition will be created there instead of on the OS drive. Most people prefer the OS drive to be the actual boot drive.

Thanks for the help, guys.
I have two partitions listed. One I think says System and is very small, and the other says Main and is most of the drive size. Can I delete both or just the Main one? I'm not sure what's causing my lockups so I want to make sure I get rid of anything bad. Tom
m
l
a c 209 $ Windows 7
September 17, 2010 1:38:58 AM

As long as you're reinstalling from scratch then go right ahead and delete both of them. The install kit will recreate both of them and you'll be off and running and there'll never be a question of whether you should have deleted them both.
m
l
!