GeForce2 MX issues on two different Abit boards

G

I have a Creative GeForce2 MX card and it doesn't seem to work on any of my boards (bx6 non rev 2, and either KA7-100). It works for a while and then I get beep codes which seem to indicate a video problem. Other techs I talk to say my AGP slots might all be bad (unlikely). I have read that there is a problem with the capacitors on the KA7s, but ABit has not written me back and it's been weeks since I first reported the issues. Also seems to happen (less often) with my ATi Rage Fury and AIW 128 Pro. I had a blue orb on the chip since there was not heatsink on the Creative board (with thermal grease). Any ideas?

G

I don´t know if it is any help, but i had some problems installing my new system, and i noticed that setting everything in the bios to safe didn´t work at all, but when i set everything to the max, it seemed to work allright.. strange..

But it sure sounds weird, since you tried two different mobo´s..

Perhaps your Geforce2 MX card has some problems?

G

You'll want to ensure your motherboard is seated properly first. If it is, make sure your AGP card is correctly seated in the slot. If it sticks out just a little bit, it will beep.

G

from what I've read. The GeForce2 series (entirely) might have problem on many motherboards with "cold booting". I think my card was screwed up personally, but this has been reported, that the GeForce2 series cards might not work on boards made before July 2000.

G

I returned the card and got another one before the return policy ran out. It was probably a combination of the card not always properly seated and this:

I installed the 4-in-1 drivers, rebooted, installed the video card drivers, rebooted in safe mode, uninstalled the 4-in-1 drivers, rebooted, and all is fine now.