WIN 98 (4.10.98) Defrag problem

del_35

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2001
When i run defrag on my computer it hangs on 10% for a long time and then continues is this a known problem with win 98(4.10.98), or is there a problem with my setup?
Any help accepted
Thanks

"Remember that after great thought, things are always bought from the lowest bider"

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have that problem too and I could never figure it out. I use some 3rd party software instead like Norton Speeddisk and it is definitely better than WIn9x's defragging program. Now I use w2k, but I still wish to know the answer too.

------------------
This site is cool.

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Best thing you can do is eliminate as many programs that are running in the background as possible. Sometimes those quiet little nuisances are writing to your hard disk. Also Dont allow any screen saver or automatic shutdown features to be running. If your disk is heavily fragmented it's going to take a long time.

del_35

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2001
Its not that its heavily fragmented as when i run it straight after its finished defraging it takes about the same amount of time.....................................

"Remember that after great thought, things are always bought from the lowest bider"

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
I think what is happening is normal. If you look at the details screen you will see that the apparent delay is only about five seconds from the point where it says 10% completed. If background programs write to the hard disk the process restarts but quickly catches up to where it left off. If you defrag the boot up partition often (once a day) the process for win98SE files and program files will take less than a minute or two. (Assuming data files like mpg's are in a different partition). BTW WinME has a very fast defragmenter.

<b> JOHN HANCOCK </b>

G

don't worry it is using microsoft time. that has no relation to real time. when you install win 98 it claims 30 mins at the start my record from typing setup to being able to run programs is 8 mins. what do you guys have?

del_35

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2001
In installing i got 15 mins, including restarting......

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Not sure, too long ago. But I remember wasn't way off, something like 20-25 minutes. Had a coupla of restarts

-------------
This site is cool.