Annoying short games

neil2108

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
Well i have been a die hard gamer form the age of 10..played all the greatest games that has released in my time..Enjoyed all of them like hell..But recently i have been seeing a trend in the games..the games are moving away from the style that made games before the best..

Games these days include astounding graphics..pushing the games away from lot of normal gamers who has a normal pc rig..one more problem these days is that the games are annoyingly short..game are made for xbox and playstations rather than pc..pc games should have bigger gaming life...a 5/6 hours game doesnot add to the effect of the game however great the storyline or gameplay is..

last great games that i played with a great gmaeplay and really long play was GTA4 and MASS EFFECT2..

The astounding detailing in games like mafia 2 and blackops is increasing the size of the games like hell though the story is short though crisp..But its really annoying to play such games when we have been playing games like deusex,far cry 1&2,hal life and all those great games for the last decade..

MockingbirdUK

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
A good proportion of this is the rise in popularity of multiplayer. Devs appear to feel (sometimes with justification, often without) that the single player is for many titles the lesser portion of the game - they can tell a fun story for the SP, but the longevity comes from the MP.

Obviously, the effect on the quality of the product of this approach may well vary for you.

I wouldn't be upset (surprised maybe) if we start seeing some vendors (mainly online ones, ironically) selling the SP and MP parts separately - so it's be £30 for MW2 SP, £30 for MW2 MP or £50 for both at once.

55Range

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010

Quite true, but nothing can be done about that-
Just enjoy them as they are-

Mottamort

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
GTA4 and ME2 were pretty darn recent, so I don't fully understand the complaint. Yes there are games that are way too short in the campaign department, but you also mentioned a few RECENT games that are quite long...so not all is lost :p

neil2108

Distinguished
May 9, 2010

Its not all short..but most of them are..

redinsanemetroid

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2010
I've been a gamer since an early age too and in comparison I have to agree that games these days are damn short. Compare say Black Ops to the original metroid, doom, zelda, etc. The old games you can easily get plugged in for 40 hours plus while the new games 10 hours is considered long now.

There are a lot more factors going now these days though, each game is like a blockbuster movie. It costs millions of dollars and the game has to cater to the casual, hardcore, and all the in between players. Furthermore, I think the main reason why games these days are short is due to the multiplayer mode. The emphasis is now placed on the replayability of the game online so a lot of money and dev time is spent on it. While they still need the single player campaign to be good to draw folks in, the selling point has been shifted from a solo game to multiplayer.

neil2108

Distinguished
May 9, 2010

Completetly agree to that mate!!

55Range

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
Well, facts:
I finished fallout NV in less than 3 weeks w/o playing much really, time to time, and i finished it, and days i just didnt play. So rather short, i noticed this a while ago, its ////
As for black ops, less than 2 weeks was enough to finish it on hardened mode...
And yesterday i started NFS HP, dont know how much time it will finish in, but wont be that free in these upcoming days..

neil2108

Distinguished
May 9, 2010

Well mate i am sorry to tell this!!but you nedded WHAT??2 weeks for black ops..my gamestats shows i finished it in 6 hrs 38mins..well i sleep for 7 hrs a day..

55Range

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010

As i said mate, I dont have only a game, i have 15 + games, and I play many fps online. So I will not just go towards a title to just finish it quick, If I want, thats something else, I finished GTA 4 in less than a day btw... ;)

neil2108

Distinguished
May 9, 2010

:) :)

I agree with this one. I purchased TFU2 for my son's birthday. Being that it was a new release I had to pay the full $50-$60 price tag. I was highly disappointed when he finished it in under 6 hours.

55Range

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010

Thats's funny ;) - 6 hours -

stillerfan15

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010

Yep - I could play some of those older games for weeks or months. A few hours a night.
Thanks,
Dave