Lucky-Star K7VAT: Is it good (Hope So)

frunobulax

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I bought a Lucky-Star K7VAT motherboard at C|Net auction plus a DURON 600 and 133 Mb of RAM.

I'm having a tough time trying to get review of this motherboard. And I'm beginning to think it might have been a bad move (The manufacturer of the motherboard was not listed in the description)

Do you know if it is a good motherboard ? I don't plan to do overclocking with it, it will be used as the "second" computer in the home

I also have a question, in the mobo doc, there is a CPU Frequency selector switch that can be set at 133 or 100 Mhz. Do I have to set it to 133 Mhz to use PC133 RAM ? It says that it should be left at the defaut 100 Mhz

Thanks

G

Sorry, never heard of it. I did a bit of searching and found their web site, which you may already have:

<A HREF="http://www.lucky-star.com.tw" target="_new">http://www.lucky-star.com.tw</A>

The manual is right. The Duron runs at 100 MHz. Your RAM should work fine at that speed.

Mike

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
hi!
I too have a Duron 600 on K7VAT and i regret i bought it! i had to have a duron, i had asked for a Biostar M7VKB but had to get this lucky-star mobo! we Indians have very little choice as we have to buy what he vendors have, vendors dont need to keep what users want :-(

the Biostar board is listed on Duron reco boards at AMD website. Asus A7V was too expensive for me. but after i put the system together, it worked fine, next day the mouse was out (logitech serial) a reboot fixed that. sometime later the sound concked off, reinstalling windows again, fixed that. i installed the VIA 4 in 1 driver pack, but did not notice any significant change. now windows had a big crash, and i am not able to load ANY operating system (other than DOS, and I am too afraid to put Linux onto that board)win95 or 98. NT flags *some* hardware error!!!

so i have a functional board (as the vendor returned it to me) but i cannot load windows on it!

Beware of this board, and as far as possible go for a reliable board (preferably reviewed on tomshardware or anandtech or cpureview), be it a bit expensive, it works out cheaper in the long run.

girish